I can't date someone with bad teeth, am I shallow or normal?

I'm a dental hygienist and currently continuing my education to obtain a dental degree because I want to become a periodontist, so maybe I am just biased.
I can't date nor respect a human being that will not take care of their teeth. I deal with people day in and day out and some of which have admitted they haven't brushed their teeth in weeks, sometimes months. When I'm working on them I can smell the stench of decaying/rotten blood and I always have to bite my tongue.
I've dated a handful of women before that had really nasty teeth and I ran. I've tried to overcome this and look at other traits, but no.. just no. Does this make me a shallow person, or do I have a point?

I see taking care of one owns personal hygiene self respect, if they don't posses the care to take care of their teeth that means they have no respect for themselves or pride. With that said, I can't respect a person whom doesn't respect their own self. If a particular individual has some sort of physical or cognitive impairment that prevents them from doing so, that's different

Most Helpful Girl

• Choosing not to date someone due to bad dental hygiene is totally fine, you have the right to date or not date someone based on any criteria you choose. However, not respecting someone due to that doesn't make any sense to me. That's just rude. You don't know other people's circumstances. Just because someone may have bad teeth doesn't necessarily mean they lack self-respect.

What Girls Said 8

• like if you don't want to date someone who doesn't brush or take basic care of there teeth that's understandable because we all wants someone to do the basic self care but if its something out of there hands e. g crooked or chipped/broken teeth thats different

• Poor hygiene is a deal breaker for me too. -shudders-

• I think not wanting to date someone who has poor hygiene is completely fair.

If it's just like... their front teeth are a little crooked or something, then I think it's shallow.

• .. thats bad teeth? as an assistant to a dental implantologist of 38 years i can tell you this now that your teeth are about as perfect as they'll get, dont worry yourself silly :)

p. s. i have seen (and smelled) much much much worse than yours, believe me.

• I think you completely misunderstood or misread my question. Read it again.

• sry in advance for not reading your full question, your title was misleading xD

• Lol it's all good, my question was indeed a little misleading.

• I was going to say "no" until you said you couldn't respect people. Now I think you're just an asshole and I don't care what happens to you.

• I see taking care of one owns personal hygiene self respect, if they don't posses the care to take care of their teeth that means they have no respect for themselves or pride. With that said, I can't respect a person whom doesn't respect their own self. If a particular individual has some sort of physical or cognitive impairment that prevents them from doing so, that's different.

• What about those who don't have access to the things that we do and a lot of us take for granted? What about diseases or people who have taken drugs yet turned their life around?

I can't respect an irrational person and you're coming off as an irrational dick. To assume that someone who has bad teeth has zero self-respect (which can be defined in many ways) is as asinine as assuming a black guy wearing a hoodie is a thug. It's a stereotype with zero basis in reality because there are undoubtedly some people with bad teeth (excluding those who are impaired in some way) who do.

• Read between the lines a little bit!!!

Obviously, if a person whom hasn't the physical or mental ability to do so, then that's completely understandable. I was talking about just the normal people in the world whom are capable and have the means but choose not to do so. Way to show some ignorance by calling me all sorts of harsh names.

• Does crooked=bad? That seems a bit harsh. You'd just be selecting based on whether someone had braces or not.

• choosing to date someone that has bad teeth doesn't make you shallow your normal

• Not necessarily shallow, since everyone has preferences/turn offs, and since you work in the field, you probably pay more attention

What Guys Said 6

• You're normal in my book since if a girl has BAD HYGIENE HER NASTY ASS GOTSSSS TO GGOOOOOOOO #NoQuestions asked #GTFO LOL

"decaying/rotten blood" I HATE THAT SMELL ALSO and no I'm not a dentist or whatever but I hate when people are talking to me and their breath smells like old moldy dry bacteria filled bloody gums like #DoYouEvenFloss moment? -_-

• LMFAO, if it wasn't for the $$ I would be long gone.

• Right before I excuse myself to go vomit lol

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAH

• sounds reasonable to me.

• Should you lack respect for them? Eh... I don't think that's fair

Should you not date them as a result of it?, Sure... If you don't like it you don't like, That dosen't make you shallow.

• I get what you're saying matey, I really do, But, i don't really think judging anyone is ever okay (Unless they are being an absolute thunder-cunt), But, Its perfectly okay to not find them attractive.

• It makes you a bit shallow, but we are all shallow in a sense some of us are a bit shallow, some in between and some very shallow.

• Normal, who wants to date a girl/dude with bad teeth

• I can't date someone with a fat ass.. just preference