When a guy says "I am not looking for something serious. If something serious happens it happens." What does that mean?

Does that mean a guy is just looking for casual hookup type relationships? Does it mean they just don't want to date until they meet the right person?

Most Helpful Girl

• To me it means he just wants to keep things casual. However, he would have to meet the right girl in order to want to change things.

in my opinion if you are truly looking for something serious, then I would walk away from this one. It sounds to me like he's really not sure what he wants, and is probably just looking to have some fun.

• Yup. Because when two people have different expectations for the relationship someone is gonna get hurt.

• I totally agree with you YatoNoragami. Expectations are HUGE when it comes to dating and relationships. If she is truly hoping to make an emotional connection which blossoms into a relationship, this guy is not the guy for her. Yes, maybe he does seem nice and fun and exciting. But getting too invested in him is going to hurt. He's been pretty clear on his expectations. He just wants to keep things light and fun (no harm in that). However, if she wants more then she will be disappointed if he doesn't get feelings for he and eventually want more. Don't bet on false hope, bet on something more concrete. He's being honest when he says he isn't looking for something until he meets the right girl. Doesn't mean you aren't a good girl or girlfriend material. It just means that he isn't actively searching and odds are he's not going to be too keen to get a girlfriend. Better to find a guy who is actively wanting a girlfriend.

• yeah I am actually seeing someone new already... already confused about this one too!

What Guys Said 3

• Most likely he just doesn't really know what he wants. Worst case, he is dangling the possibility of a committed relationship before you, (because he thinks that's what you want), in order to get sex.

• yeah, I think that's what he wanted. Actually... I denied him sex after the 2nd date and he hasn't responded to any texts since..

• It means doesn't want anything serious or long-term however its possible that he might change his mind and want something more (but it's unlikely)

• It means that he mainly wants casual sex and isn't looking for a relationship, but if he does develop feelings for a girl, probably one who he is sleeping with, then he may make her his girlfriend.

• Ah, so basically it's a "you have to sleep w/ me first before I'd even consider you" situation

• The sex of course. Though I suppose that you could counter that by saying that you didn't really want it at all, to which I'd reply that you probably shouldn't have even told him you wanted to date him.

• I told him I could get sex anywhere, but that a true emotional connection is a lot harder... and what I want.

What Girls Said 2

• He's looking for just a casual hookup or no commitment overall, but if he happens to fall in love with you, it happens and he can't stop that

• agreed. that's what I thought all along

• Id love to know this two in my opnion its an easy way to get out of it being serious if things aren't how they like.. but i am always caucious with these im in one of my own. N i jus am enjoying it as happiness dsnt always last.