How is it that others are smarters then other?

is it genetics? or is it the way they were raised?

Most Helpful Guy

• Bit of both really.
    For example, Some people have the genetic ability to be smarter then others, But, Environment plays its part too, I mean, If guy A grew up and went to Oxford, he's going to be a lot smarter then guy B who was raised in rural china and spent his entire life living on a paddy field ya know?

What Guys Said 7

• I believe it is their will to try. some people are naturally gifted but as long as you try and never stop trying you can strive even further.

• Some people just work their butts off more than others. There are very few that are naturally brilliant. Genetics has little to do with it unless you were born with a learning disability.

The way they were raised has a lot to do with it. I know my parents wanted the best for me and I am grateful for it because they instilled good values and taught me early on that good work ethic and hard work leads to success.

• Genetic and enviormental factors cannot be disentagled. Your analogy (a sliding bar) is not good. It's more like height, you are born with a certian potential but nutrition or the lack of it determines how close you get to that potential.

• Aptitude is a matter of genetics. Knowledge is a result of work. So it really depends on what you think "smart" means.

• It is largely genetics. Environmental factors and learning play into it. Some people that seem intelligent are just well educated but you do need to be smart to reach the upper levels of any field. Genetics is the biggest factor.

• Environmental factors play a big role. Genetics are a factor too.

• It's the way God has created them.

What Girls Said 6

• It's a mix of nature and nurture. Everyone is born with a predetermined threshold for intelligence and can move up and down within that threshold based on education, experience and practice. It's the same thing as body weight..

• You mean how it is that some are smarter than others?
    Well, it's called reading. If you know a lot you get smarter...

• both genetics and how you were raised...
    Apparently 50-75% of intelligence in inherited.. but that 25-50% left based off experiences growing up can make a HUGE difference..

• it is both.. plus.. one person's will to learn..

• I'm sure it's both

• I'd say both