Guys, "If a guy really wants to date you, he'll make it happen" True or false statement?

I've always thought that myself, that if a guy really liked you and wanted to date you as much as he claimed he did. He would just make it happen, whether there were obstacles or not. He'd try to find a way to make it happen. Then the other night I watched the movie "He's Just Not That Into You" (which I believe is based off a book), anyway in that movie one of the guys said that same exact thing "If a guy really wants to date you, he'll make it happen. It's just that simple". Now, I'm wondering if I've been right along. I think a lot and so I've been thinking about this for many reasons.

Do you think that statement is true, why or why not?

21

Most Helpful Guy

• False. First of all we are not mind readers, the fact that you are interested, or even that you dont have a boyfriend, might not cross our minds, or we mightbe misinformed by someone.

Also, what if there is more than one girl a guy really wants to date? When deciding, if he knows another girls is really into him that will tip the scales extremely in her favor!

The guy may also be either shy or down on himself or preoccupied. All of these will stop him from making a move, even if je really wants to.

Please do not take any more love advice from movies like that. They are designed to be sad, and on personal note, it sounds like it was written by a woman, who is clueless about what men really want!

• I'm not taking love advice from a movie, it's what I've always thought myself and things I've experienced myself. I have had many guys state they like me and want to date me and we get to know each, I reciprocate those same feelings and then down line they change their mind. So, this isn't a movie thing. It's an experience thing, the movie just made me wonder if maybe I was right in my thinking. That's all.

• Lol, until you click on it it looks like a cat. I like all our furry friends :)

• Haha, I guess it does. And, :)

What Guys Said 20

• A relationship is about two people.
    It's not the "job" of a guy to make "things happen" or make a relationship happen.

You speak as if the girl is just some kind of property or thing that men should acquire by any means necessary where the girl have little to no saying in the matter. Like the only thing stopping a man from getting any woman is perseverance.

This is objectification at its finest. I find it very odd that any girl would want to see it like this.

• I'll repeat what I said the guy above quote "People think I'm talking about a guy who meets a girl in a bar and decided to ask her out, when that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the guy that flirts with you, you become friends, you talk a lot and both admit you like each other (romantically speaking), he say's how great you are and that he wants to date you, you have a great chemistry and you both reciprocate how the other feels and things are going great and you're really hopefully this is going to work. Then one day after knowing each other for awhile and all this build up and hope and you letting your guard down, he changes his mind. That's what I'm talking about"

• depends on the guy, most guys will let a girl get away.

• This is actually very true, most guys will let her get get away.

• No I don't. If you turn me down, I won't keep trying to date you.

If you are already dating someone, I won't try and date you.

Even if I really like you, maybe it just doesn't work because of a job or school, I likely wouldn't try too hard then either, even if I really liked you.

this also makes it sound like it is entirely up the guy on if he gets a date or not...

• I highly disagree...
    As a guy... I may be attracted by a girl... But I am not a magician
    I think we are already brave enough to always make the first move and putting ourselves out there,... For you to put sticks in our wheels and assume that it his normal to do so... Becose a boy should "Make it happen"... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    On the other hand.. If I receive shit from a girl who has that kind of thinking, I will see no reason to make it happen... I have trouble proving myself to girl who are playing hard to get... Take it or leave it... But I don't support your way of thinking, we may be boys, bt we are still human beings just like you, we are as scared as you to get rejected... So rejecting a person just for the pleasure and assume it normal seems abject to me

• Maybe I should have made this clear in my question, I'm not talking about a guy and girl that don't know each other and it's a shot in the dark whether she'll say yes or not. I'm talking about a guy and girl who have known each other for awhile (say years) and he started flirting with her first and they talked a lot and got to know each other, he said he liked her and she said she liked him too. They both agree they cared for each other and wanted to see where things could go, then one day he just changes his mind after making some promises and her letting her guard down for him (which he knew was hard for her to do). That's what I was talking about.

• what is this Jiu Jitsu?
    any guy that actually believes this is incompetent. Usually when a guy can't make it happen (usually the unstable ones) they stalk the woman

No dating shouldn't always be about hooking up. Build something

• It's true and false. It's true in the sense that the guy will work up his courage and go for it. It's false in the sense that saying "he'll make it happen" implies that the girl actually is interested in dating the guy when that's not always the case. Also, some guys are just too awkward/nervous/shy to ever ask a girl out and may give up before even trying.

• I have really wanted to date a few girls, it never happened, i ended up dating the girl that pursued me, rather than me putting effort in.

• It would take both people to make the relationship happen and yes if a guy
    says he wants to date a girl than he should make it happen
    and not play mind games with her.

• Exactly, that last statement is very true. People think I'm talking about a guy who meets a girl in a bar and decided to ask her out, when that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the guy that flirts with you, you become friends, you talk a lot and both admit you like each other (romantically speaking), he say's how great you are and that he wants to date you, you have a great chemistry and you both reciprocate how the other feels and things are going great and you're really hopefully this is going to work. Then one day after knowing each other for awhile and all this build up and hope and you letting your guard down, he changes his mind. That's what I'm talking about. Sorry, for rambling.

• I disagree. The guy shouldn't have to do everything in the relationship just to prove he's interested. Instead the fact that he's trying to overcome these obstacles should be enough to show he's interested, but he should stop if the person he's after isn't trying as well.

• False :- If its true it sounds creepy, what if girl doesn't want to.

• Not quite... What if the guy is nervous and needs time but is scared for rejection... so he's scared to ask you out, scared for rejection, scared to be hurt... Sometimes, we need a push from you ladies.

• I don't mean a guy who doesn't know if she's interested or not, I mean one that knows she feels the same and she has said so.

• Well. Then we might make it happen.

BUT

We don't live in a time anymore where it's the guy that always has to make the first move. If the girl likes the guy and knows it's mutual, you ladies should make it happen too

• Nope. Takes two to tango, meaning that the girl has to play her part, too.

• It's not always true. Some guys may really want to date but not actually have the confidence to do anything about it.

• You made the mistake of failing to separate fiction from real life. There are so many girls on this planet that WILL NEVER date me. I've accepted it, and learned to try to embrace the ones who will (as long as the attraction is mutual).

• False. A guy can be shy, or he can have a few problems affecting his life.

• True... unless you put-up ridiculous obstacles. Make it hard, but not TOO hard.

• true, men can move mountains if they have will

• sometimes, we just get tongue-tied.

• I disagree he might be shy then telling a girl is hard.

• Depends on how honest the guy is with himself when he says he 'really wants' something. And also what does the make it happen mean, that he'll at least ask the girl? Be persistent?