Guys, would you date a girl who is asexual?

If you were romantically attracted to a girl who was asexual and therefore never wanted to have sex, would you be willing to give up sex to date her?

• Yes
    27% (18)
  • No
    54% (36)
  • Depends
    16% (11)
  • Other
    3% (2)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

31

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah as long as we can still make out. I'm asexual too, it would be nice to have a girlfriend who doesn't need sex

What Guys Said 30

• No, because that would be playing with my feelings. Dating someone that is asexual would be nice, but when it would come to the real heavy intimacy like sex, an asexual person wouldn't go for it. I always found the action of an asexual dating confusing. Since asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to anyone, or low or absent interest in sexual activity, then why engage in a relationship. I'm not dating a girl that isn't attracted to me, or isn't going to have sex after a good courtship, and a sense of trust has been built. That's sending mixed signals and its not appropriate to do that to someone who isn't asexual. But now it seems asexual's are now dating, and some even apparently make out with their spouse, so I find some of it a bit contradictory. Sure different variants of asexuality exist, but its not fair to someone that has Sexual Attraction, and wants a physical relationship. Its a tease almost, whether unintentional or not.

• You seem to be under the impression that asexuals dating is new. Many asexuals date--romantic attraction and sexual attraction are separate things.

And how is making out with their spouse contradictory? Asexual means lack of sexual attraction. That's it. They can still make out and have sex if they so choose. Lack of attraction doesn't mean lack of behavior. True, most would prefer to just not have sex, but some still want and enjoy sex, and some will do it to please a sexual a sexual partner.

Being completely against sex doesn't apply to all asexuals, nor does any other preference for any other sexual activity.

• ^^ thats what it is. Even in the UK

• There are psychological reasons as to why someone may be asexual. That is a fact. If nothing effects you or has effected you psychologically and you still have no sexual attraction, or lack of etc etc, then you can are Asexual. The psychological factors are trauma, sexual dysfunctions like HSSD and SAD must be considered. Dating someone that is sexual would be very frustrating. You asked my opinion,

• Why would I willingly accept all the cons of a relationship if I don't get one of its biggest pros?

• Unlikely as I don't think asexuality is "something you are born with", but much rather the symptom of deeper lying issues like an unhealthy development of sexuality, sexual trauma, depression, etc.

• Well asexual here to tell you you're wrong. May I ask why you think this?

• We're not talking about lack of sex drive. We're talking about lack of sexual attraction. There's a difference.

• Except that there is no scientifical proof of a difference between the two. The only people who talk about a difference between the two are asexuals who apparently try to justify their abnormality.

• Nope, couldn't do it. Someone with a high sex drive and someone with no sex drive doesn't sound like something that would last.

• Is that even scientifically possible to have a human regardless of sex be asexual & not even want sexual connections?

• Yes. There have been studies.

• @Asker - I see you are already learning :)

• The problem with arguing with stupid people is that you can't win, because no matter what they'll always think they're right.

• as long as she found me romantically attractive and we got along well, and didn't mind me taking care of myself in that way i wouldn't see a prob

• It depends on if this a temporary deal, or permanent. Obviously, a girl who doesn't want to EVER have sex has some SERIOUS emotional/mental problems. AVOID this one!

• Asexuality has already been proven to be a valid sexual orientation, even if it only applies to approximately 1% of the population. It has nothing to do with "SERIOUS emotional/mental problems". It is no less valid or more wrong than any other orientation, even if it is a minority.

• No emotional/mental problems just asexual. Thanks for the concern though.

• -_- that was part of my point you know...
      sexual disorders that cause asexuality need something called "marked distress or interpersonal difficulty (trauma)," to meet the criteria for HSSD or SAD. But because there are many in the asexual community that do not fit into the HSSD or SAD criteria, and are happy, healthy, want to build relationships, etc, then Yes, that would be Asexuality, a sexual orientation, something that isn't caused by marked distress or interpersonal difficulty.

• That's what platonic friendship is for.

• Well no I wouldn't sorry, because for one, that would force me to be celibate too, and two, if I'm in a relationship wih someone im attracted to them and sex is a big part of that...

• Yeah why not?

• Yeah I would. Sex is not that important to me

• I am asexual, but I am also aromantic. I would prefer a Queer platonic relationship with a woman, but I would be willing to try a romantic realtionship, just would not feel romantic to me.

• If there's nothing sexual or romantic involved how is a Queer platonic relationship different from a friendship? (I'm just curious, not meaning to rude/or prying.)

• yes and no. They are primary relationships just like romantic relationships. So they can involve things like child rearing, shared income, co housing, etc. Basically they are friendships that do not place "just friends" barriers on how close or intimate these relationships can be, but are not romantic. Usually they only work if both parties are aromantic.

• If she was asexual, why would she date anyone?

• Asexual is lack of sexual attraction, not lack of romantic attraction. Many asexuals are still interested in romantic relationships. It's just that most would prefer to not have sex, or are repulsed by it.

• Well asexuality and celibacy are not the same thing. Celibacy is a conscience choice. Asexuality is an orientation.

• But do people really want to be celibate? They do that if they wanna be able to do something else, usually. Not because they don't like sex.

• To me that is what being friends are. So I would simply be friends with such a girl.

• Yeah, sure, I'm asexual too, so no problem.

• No, i most certainly would not. Sorry 😕

• No way lol

• No of course not

• sorry i can't

• No way, you better find someone like you.

• No, I don't wanna spend my life with cuddling and sitting on the sofa like siblings.

• No, I would want children eventually.

Unless you're up for giving it a try one night?

• No. I want to have children in the in the future so that would be a dealbreaker for me.

• You could always adopt.

• Hmm... Well I want children my own biological children first. Just my preference.

• Fair enough. I can understand that.

• I'm waiting until marriage to have sex so sure. It's not like I'm losing anything.

• Whatever she's have filling So i'll try to found someway out for sex if she's good girl.

• What would be the point? You might as well just be friends.

• I could have a relationship of sorts with an asexual girl, if she just wanted to be close friends who maybe cuddle or something. I could be intimate and non-sexual with a girl, but I couldn't be in a committed relationship like that. (At least not at my age. Maybe if I'm single when 60 or something sex wouldn't matter.)

• God no. Sexuality is a myth cooked up by sociologists. Except in rare cases where the person has a disease or loses his genitalia, it doesn't occur. It is sad that kids are taught this kind of scrap as if it were fact.

• "Asexuality is a myth cooled up by sociologists." If you had done any research into the matter, you would know that research has been done on asexuality, and although rarer than other orientations, it is no more or less valid than being straight or gay or anything else.

• Sometimes people accept fad thinking that is without fact. I actually have done considerable reading about sexuality. I am also 51 and have seen this type of fad thinking come and go. I am also an academic with a graduate degree in the field. I know that you may find it hard to question things that you are taught by your teachers in school but that doesn't make the concept any more valid. Sexuality is quite a simple thing. It is a horizontally driven thing interpreted by a man or woman's body. If you hexadecimal versus pop psychology research on the topic it will become apparent to you quickly that your assertion is incorrect.
      This concept of a multi faceted sexuality is simple incorrect. Do the research yourself. You haven't or we wouldn't be discussing it here
      People need to be cautious about accepting as fact concepts that have no scientific basis.
      This is just one more fad concept that holds no water. Rail against it all you want. I'm not some kid blindly parroting back something

• That I heard from a high school teacher that he read in an article that the author thought should be correct but which has no basis. This is just like global warming that found its way into the popular press and text books when the scientific community knew it to be false. (Fortunately in that case the original founder of the concept came out and admitted that global warming was cooked up as a way to make money off the green movement and was a lie.
      It is interesting though that in opposition to the mountain of evidence that there is no global warming, that people still believe it exists.)
      Again, fad thinking that peopleblindly follow...

• Why is she dating if she's asexual?

• I can't live without sex... Its like what keeps me going.

• We do not really know any different though.

• No, I personally wouldn't. Relationships HAVE to have sex, whether it's before or after marriage