How do I know when to let go?

Okay, I'm going to try to make a very long story short. I have been going back and forth with a guy for two years. No matter how many times we try to stop talking and move on, one of us comes back and we just start this cycle all over. About a month ago, we finally made the relationship official, the same day we made it official was also the last day I saw him. We have both been semi busy lately, but I find it funny that we can't seem to find two hours to spend together in over three weeks. We don't live far from each other, so distance is not a problem. I should mention that we are both 16, I have a car and a job, he does not. I have never once complained about having to be the mode of transportation, or about paying for stuff. It seems as though he is always making excuses like he fell asleep or something came up last minute. there are often times when we make plans The day before and the next day he won't even text me until it's super late at night having an excuse. I am by no means a clingy girlfriend, and I do not expect to talk to him all day every day, nor do I expect to see him every day. But I feel if you really like someone you would want to see them. He says he doesn't want me around his family, because they are not the most appropriate people to be around. But he also doesn't want to go out because I would be the one paying for things. I have no problem with this, because once again we are 16 and not every one has time for a job. Another thing I would like to mention is that he posts on Twitter as if he isn't in a relationship. Something along the lines of " i'm still into you". I don't expect him to make it known on social media that he's " taken" but I also don't think that is appropriate to be posting. Basically I'm wondering if I need to let him go, which is okay, because he may have some more growing up to do. Sometimes you just have to take your best interest to heart. Thanks in advance for any advice.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Wow! You sound far more mature then the average 16 yr old, good job! To me it sounds simply like you're more committed to this relationship than he is, and thats ok. It doesn't mean that he's a bad guy or anything, it's just that right now you guys aren't a good match for each other.

And that's what makes a good, healthy, fun relationship - when your goals and attitudes compliment each other. It feels pretty shitty constantly texting "hey you free on Friday?" or "got weekend plans?" etc etc

i think let him go, there are sooo many nice guys in college, who aren't afraid to be straight with you about their intentions and don't waste your time. The dating pool at high school age is so sadly small, and their mostly the same type of guys who string girls around without even realising it...

• Thanks so much! You have a very valid point with the mentioning of the same goals and such. I just think I hold him higher on my priority list, and I'm the one who ends up getting screwed over in the end. I'm only hesitant over the fact that I feel as if I've spent a lot of time trying to make this work, and I think the realization that it isn't going to really sucks. But thanks again.

• No problem, it does suck - but at least accepting it is better than being in denial and wasting even more time :) best of luck!