Guys, Guys tell me if you think this is doable!!! Relationship advice plzzzz?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for nearly 2 years and decided that we are "the one" for each other. I know it sounds cheesy, but we are both 100% sure. Recently we have been talking about our future and concluded that we are both too young to settle down already (i'm 21, he's 23) and that we both have ambitions about our careers and such. He especially doesn't want to settle done until he's financially stable and until he's "explored" more-- as in meet other girls and enjoy the single life too (he hasn't been single since he started college cuz he had another girlfriend before me). I respect this viewpoint and i too think i should meet other guys before I get married too. I think doing this will also show each other how much we love each other too. As of now we both are still madly in love with each other and have no plans of breaking up yet, but agreed that if we do ever break up we'll meet again years later (he's from Georgia so he's going to move back after he graduates) and if both of us are still single, we'll get married then. We discussed how both of us really want each other in each other's futures, but it's too early for marriage now, but at the same time we don't want to break up just because we wanna "explore."

So what i was thinking that what if I ask to take a break (not now, but in the event that our relationship isn't working out as well as it is due to distance or some other factor) and during this break we wouldn't really be in a committed relationship, i mean it would be like a break-up but with the promise of getting back together again after we both "explored" during the break. Do you think this is plausible or do you think that it's stupid to even ask him this.

6

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see this ending well. You'll go off to sow your respective oats, meet new people, fall for them, and won't be the same couple who made this agreement to have a break.

What Guys Said 5

• It could definitely work for you, as long as you talk it through. If you do in fact get back together after some time and are still in love, then you know you've got a good thing.

I agree that you're both too young to settle down and that without experiencing life some, you're both at risk of heading into marriage with unsatisfied curiosities, which isn't healthy.

Just be careful about how you bring it up. Maybe bring up the conversation you had about it and go from there.

• Ok you lost me at the entire space portion of the question.. id never want space... Id only want you.. that's a true relationship.. sorry..

• Married couples who are into the swinging lifestyle manage to pull this off every day. Most people once they feel totally in love and ready to commit to someone have a hard time dealing with sex with another partner for either one of them. I am assuming you're having sex now and it's probably pretty hot and successful. That's the reason you feel the way you seem to feel. Tread lightly. Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else.

• Ok. First of all if he is the one then why do you want space? Taking a break from things might do more harm than good to yalls relationship. What if after the break or during the break he finds someone else? What if he starts to question if you are the one? Don't take a break. Make it work. If you can make a long distance relationship work with him imagine how great a relationship would be with him knowing that no matter how far apart you are y'all still love each other.

• Risky. Personally I wouldn't do it. If you get along fine now, why do both of you feel the need too 'explore' more.