Girls, Am I the only one?

I feel that engagement rings are BS and are a very new thing that has been over promoted and now men are pretty much expected to propose with a expensive ring

8

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not a new thing. Thing is that back several centuries ago, a jewellery store wanted customers to buy from them. It's an advertising scheme. It has no tradition behind it at all. The jewellery store said something about "buy your loved one a diamond ring. Women love diamonds"

"Epstein traces its origins to the discovery of massive diamond mines in South Africa in the late 19th century, which for the first time flooded world markets with diamonds. The British businessmen operating the South African mines recognized that only by maintaining the fiction that diamonds were scarce and inherently valuable could they protect their investments and buoy diamond prices. They did so by launching a South Africa–based cartel, De Beers Consolidated Mines, Ltd. (now De Beers), in 1888, and meticulously extending the company's control over all facets of the diamond trade in the ensuing decades.
    Most remarkably, De Beers manipulated not just supply but demand. In 1938, amid the ravages of the Depression and the rumblings of war, Harry Oppenheimer, the De Beers founder's son, recruited the New York–based ad agency N. W. Ayer to burnish the image of diamonds in the United States, where the practice of giving diamond engagement rings had been unevenly gaining traction for years, but where the diamonds sold were increasingly small and low-quality."

What Girls Said 7

• its not the cost of it. its what it symbolizes. as long as its what you think she'll like. the price shouldn't matter. im sure there are lots of women who would want a big fancy expensive one. and it is kinda over promoted and unfair to guys. but if you really love her and you knw it will make her happy, money shouldn't be an issue. and if she really loves you then she won't even care if its not a super expensive one if you can't do that financially.

• You do realize that proposing with a ring wasn't even a thing until the 1920s. The diamond companies were running out of money, so they came up with this to get men to buy diamonds

• i do.
      thats why i dont think its a necessity.

• 0|0
  • What? I love them, it is so cute when a guy gets a girl he loves a nice beautiful ring and proposes to her on his knees, and you got something to show for it-the ring. what else would you propose with? lol any guy who says this in my opinion is just cheap and doesn't want to spend the money. beautiful ring=promise of love

• Giving her an expensive diamond ring just because its a diamond ring is BS. Put some thought into it and give her a ring or other piece if jewelry that has significance to the 2 of you. Really think outside the box and make a memory.

• I like diamond rings but yes expensive rings are being over promoted for guys but as a girl I buy my own diamond rings because I want to.

• You'd rather go back to the times when you had to buy her off her father for pigs or oxen?

All joking aside, I'm not sure where the tradition of an engagement ring started, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. But many girls really don't care about the price of the ring, myself included.

• Engagement rings were really started during the roaring twenties when the diamond cartels realized they weren't making enough money bc diamond are actually pretty abundant; they cut off the supply and made a marketing campaign telling men they had to spend 1 months salary (later 3 when they needed to increase profits)

• No, I fully agree with you on that.