What does it mean if someone says "you lack substance"?

I went on a date with a guy who asked me my interests and then he slagged off everything that I said I liked, and said that I "lacked substance." I felt horrible and so stupid, and I never text him back after that! He didn't need to be so rude and keep going on about it and putting me down. But does his comment basically mean that I have no personality and that I'm boring? xo

It's interesting how a lot of people have said it meant I am shallow/have shallow interests, especially as I told him how much I *love* my job working for a homeless charity and on he side am volunteering else where supporting people with learning disabilities and mental health needs? i guess it probably is boring that I have a passion for that but he didn't need to be so rude. He didn't stop talking about himself and I would never dream of saying anything like that to anyone :(
It's interesting how a lot of people have said it meant I am shallow/have shallow interests, especially as I told him how much I *love* my job working for a homeless charity and on the side am volunteering else where supporting people with learning disabilities and mental health needs? i guess it probably is boring that those are my passions (amongst other things!) but he didn't need to be so rude about me being boring :(

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow... that was really pretty rude of him. I don't think it says anything about you, but it certainly says a lot about him - that he has a very high opinion of himself and a low opinion of those who don't conform to his ideals. Would you want to be with a person like this? Essentially, he would only consider those who think like him his equal... fun... not. Good riddance! Don't feel bad about it, feel happy that this doofus was so upfront about being such a jerk! Sometimes they hide this type of attitude really, really well and you only find out after a month of dating.

What Guys Said 3

• Wow, basically means you are a hollow shell with little too offer... anyone who will say that on a date seems like a jerk and not very polite :/ sorry someone said that to you! how rude!
    he lacks manners!

• That's really harsh. He's saying you're shallow and your interests are so far below his they don't even deserve a response. You're far better off without him.

• He's saying you tastes are unsophisticated. That you don't consider, are not a thoughtful person. It's a harsh and unnecessary judgement to make, particularly to someone's face. Whatever else he may be, he's an asshole.

What Girls Said 3

• He's probably pissed that you didn't fawn all over him the way he expected. You don't need people like that in your life.

• sorry but yea that's what it means (what you said in the question)

• That's what it means. He sounds like an asshole.