Guys, would you let age difference get in the way of going after a girl?

Say if you were attracted to a girl quite a few years younger or older than you, would the age difference ever prevent you from pursuing her?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• Not so much the age gap as the question, "Where are you in your life?" If where you are is somewhere similar to where I am, then that works for me.

What Guys Said 21

• Depends on if it got to her and how she treated me because of it. I haven't met a girl older than me, yet, that hasn't instantly treated me like a little brother or like I was just a kid or just put me down. If she didn't do that and just saw me as any other guy without trying to use her age "against" me all the time, then I'd be fine with a girl who was older. I also really look for maturity, so if she were too young, I'd also be hesitant because girls that are really immature tend to be super clingy and such which isn't something I can take much of. Age isn't really much more than a number to me, but it does generally affect the way I've seen women treat me. So, if none of that was there, she acted like an adult, and she didn't look down on me or something, then I honestly could care less if she were older or younger than me.

• What would you say your limit is though?

• Hmm, I think it depends, or at least it's more dependent right now because of my own age. If I go too young, the girls are not legal and if I go too old they've already been out of college (or graduate school) for many years already and will likely want to get married right away and have kids which I'm not quite ready for just yet. (I'm in my early twenties). However, as I get older, the limits could change more. I think a general range would be probably something like five years younger or five years older if I were in my 30's or so. Right now, five years older means they've been out of college for a LONG time and five years younger wouldn't make them legal. So, probably fewer than five years age difference, at least right now and it will probably get to five years by the time I'm around 30. Five is what I'm comfortable with later. I MIGHT be able to go more, but it would start to feel weird.

• For instance, I think once I get to be around 24 or 25, dating a girl who was 18 would just start to feel a bit uncomfortable. I think 24 - 18 would be the most I'm willing to go if she were 18. If I were any older, I'd start to getting judged for it big time.

• When I was 23 (a long time ago) I dated a gal who was 18. At first I was a bit uneasy about it, but after a month or two it was fine. We had to resolve a few differences in the maturity level at first but we had a fun dating relationship for over a year. When we split up it was over various issues of having to "move on". That was quite a long time ago, as I am 42 now.

Side note unrelated to your post: I looked her up a couple of years ago to see if I could find anything on the internet on her. She got married to another woman! LOL!

• The guy I like/am talking to is 23 and I am almost 18.. I'm just wondering if he might not want anything to do with me because of the age gap.

• Age difference in and of itself no. It would depend on the woman and how she treats me.

If I generally like her then the age difference won't matter.

• *Certainly !.!*

• Nope, recently dated a girl who was 21, didn't work out but I wasn't closed off to it. I think it would be far more difficult to approach an older woman, young women throw out really easy signals usually.

• I have to if she were younger, cause I'm 18 and don't feel like being persecuted for the rest of my life.

If she were older, only by a few years. I'm in college, I don't need to be with someone my moms age.

• Absolutely. If there's too much of an age gap, I won't even consider it.

• Yes it would. Mostly when older men pursue much younger women they are thinking only of themselves, not so much of the future for the young woman. I'm not that selfish.

• Why is it selfish? Surely the young woman must be getting something out of the relationship too

• It all depends on the direction my life is going.
    I know what I want in life and EggsAckly what I don't want. If our ships our sailing in the right direction coo Beans. If not? While I won't even start...

• My girlfriend right now is two years younger. If you're still in high school, two years is probably the limit. But if you're out of high school, then there isn't much of an age difference limit.

• I mean i'm 23 ... so it wouldn't surprise people if I was dating an 18 year old // But it also wouldn't surprise people if I was dating a 30 year old so no not really

• if i really liker her and she really likes me back? id go for it but i dont really persue out of a certain age range unless we hit it off well

• Two years younger/older is my maximum.

• Is there a particular reason for that?

• It just sort of weirds me out a little, that's all. I guess I have a koojy perception of time 'cause I don't wanna feel like a creep (too old) or a punk (too young). I like being sort of in the middle.

• If i love her. age will not matter

• i wouldn't care if we were compatible AND we were still both of age

• All depends, have to give exact ages if you want honest answers, seeing as your 19, anything under 17 would be deemed creepy to me but to each their own.

• I'm actually 18, and the guy is 24

• Why is your cut-off 20?

• 19 just seems too young for me, 20 isn't as bad.

• 26 and 13, is well, not appropriate, butttt, 39 and 26, is a little more appropriate just might be questionable

• What about 18 and 24?

• Usually you take your age double it then subtract 7 for how old you can go, and for how young it would be half your age plus 7. The problem is, for me, that would be as young as 20, and I'm 26. I need to be able to date someone I can get in to a bar with, legally and I ain't waiting a year to get in with her

• So that would mean for how old I could go is 45

• Yes, I was 9 ad she was 19..
    I was so in love but knew it could never be.

• Not at all, but most older women I approach don't seem to take me seriously for some reason.

• No, In my opinion personality traits and body are the only thing that matters. age doesn't have any value to a relationship. (unless they are a child in which case that is pedophilia, and that's illegal)

• As long as it's not too big of one, I would say I wouldn't let it get in the way. No more than 10 years younger, and no more than 14 years older.