Guys, why do boys keep their feelings inside?

20

Most Helpful Guy

• a lot of people will say "society" or "afraid of being hurt" and, while these have a degree of truth, the underlying reason is instincts. Males are both predators and hypersensitive to being prey. When we emote, we give potential enemies information about our weaknesses. This gives power to those who can threaten us and thus assists them in defeating us and/or weakens our ability to protect that which is important to us. In particular, as we get older, we realize that women "share" too much for our liking. If a man is fully open up to his woman and she broadcasts to her girlfriend who then broadcasts to her man or other girlfriends (and their men), then our weaknesses become well-known. That puts us on the defensive and elevates our stress. So, we keep our mouth shut for the most part unless we have complete proven trust in someone else. This is why infidelity is such a big issue with men; it isn't that your getting fucked by another guy - it's that your are intimate and likely sharing with that other man. In other words, you may be revealing our weaknesses to him which he can use against us (and you).

So, in short, men don't trust easy and each time our trust is violated, we clam up that much more. Boys can be chatterboxes, but men aren't (unless we're fudgepackers) because we know better.

What Guys Said 19

• Because of societies attitude to men showing their feelings. There is a double standard in society here, if girls show their feelings everyone feels sorry from them and cares, if men show their feelings people tell him to get over it and man up. We get told to man up from society, many of us get it from out dads and told that women will see you as unmanly and many do. We even get women that tell us to man up and treat us like scum if we show our feelings and abuse us for doing it. All this added up is why men will not talk about their feelings.

• Simply put its experience with women. First from a young age we see all the assholes who play it cool and never show feelings, just apathy, get the girls. So we want to get tje girls to so we start immitating the apathetic guys because they have what women percieve as "confidence" but is really just apathy.

Sure we hear women go on and on, on tv, and in real life, about how they want a man to show his sensitive side, but when we do we are laighed at, mocked, and dumped for, you guessed it the apathetic guys. This happens a few times, and we get the message. No matter how much women say the want a man who is "in touch" with hos feelings they will cheat on, and leave him for the apathetic assholes who cares only for himself.

• We have been taught that showing emotion and weakness is not 'manly'. It's just a fact that society in general doesn't care about a mans feelings, and dislikes when he shows them. This goes double for women who we are not already intimate with. Once you get passed a certain intimacy barrier with a woman it's more acceptable to be open but it's hard because we are already conditioned to not open up.

Lets not kid ourselves here, you would probably think it was pretty unattractive if a man started crying over something, especially if it was something you thought was trivial.

• Cuz guys need to be the big shots and be tough. They feel the need to show they can handle the world with a straight face. That's how I am in public. Pretty much a serious face all the time. Unless I'm really close to someone my ex I won't show my feelings. About a year ago I drove past a wreck on the highway, 3 cars involved, 3 adults killed 1 kid and 1 kid survived. I was on my way to dropping off some friends so I kept my cool but after I dropped them off and was driving home I had to pull over cuz my emotions caught up with me.
    Another instance was I was driving home with my ex and a truck pulled out in front of me and we almost crashed and almost got rear ended from slamming on the brakes. I cried after that and was shaking a bunch. Luckily I had my ex there to help calm me down cuz all my emotions get goin. Now had it been my friends, I would've got outta the car and screamed at the lady

• Because women (and society) generally want guys to be strong and in control. Showing our feelings is the opposite.

• Raised to not show their emotions unless it's anger for some reason. Like it's feminine otherwise.

I prefer to show a girl my emotions and not have her guessing what I'm feeling like.

• Because society teaches us we have to...

• Social conditioning?

• For me I'm a shy guy. I express less.

• I usually don't it's best to let them know, at least it's out there

• Because they don't want you to dislike them.

• I dont... and girls seem to hate it more so be careful what you wish for XD

• Because it would probably have been mountains of tears if they opened up.

• cause we want to have sex with women duh

• Rejection, friendzone. It's complicated.

• because God sent ladies for tame Men :) means we have no deep feeling as woman

• it's what i feel leave me alone

• because some biatch will take advantage of them... .

• Cause Charlie don't care about your feelings.

Seriously, for hundreds of thousands of years guys who couldn't keep their feeling inside (except maybe for rage) lost out to those who could.