Girls, would a guy with PTSD be a deal breaker?

What if a guy has some pretty bad PTSD: nightterrors every night and gets random bouts of depression. I have never lost my temper with anyone and I try to keep my problem to myself, but sometimes it just comes out. I do wake up in the night sometimes crying or screaming because of my constant night terrors.
Would that be a deal breaker?

5

Most Helpful Girl

• It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I would want to know what it's from do I could try and not "trigger" it myself. Pretty much you being honest and patient about the whole thing is the key. In the end, if they like you, they will see past it. But we are wired to be potential mothers so don't hold it against a girl if she try's to help you through it even if you're good at coping by yourself.

What Girls Said 4

• Wow, that's awful. That must be terrifying to live with.

Not a deal breaker for me but it might be something that would take a little bit of time to get used to as well as the interrupted sleep. Also, how do you calm yourself down? What techniques do you have to pass on to your girl to help you?

• I wouldn't force a woman to help me. I cope with it through weekly therapy and medication.

• Depends why he had PTSD to begin with. If I was single and dating again, there are some things I may not be able to deal with again, that I have from men who had some serious psychological issues stemmed from trauma.

• I was diagnosed with PTSD a few years ago. Maybe I do actually have it, but I don't experience flashbacks or night terrors.. but I do have symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia and Dysthymia.

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.. absolutely not. The guy I'm dating now has mostly the same issues with day-to-day life as I do. If anything, I'm more attracted to him because of it.

• To some girls yes it would be, I'll be honest. But if you find the right girl for you, she'll accept you for who you are, including your PTSD.