Girlfriends family has mental issues tearing it apart. What should I do?

My girlfriends family is getting torn apart, and she's really upset by it and I don't know what to do. Her brother has been mean and inconsiderate to her whole family, causing tension that is only exasperated by her mothers increasing mental health problems. Her mom came off her meds, with the approval of her doctor, but the way she acts now is starting to affect her father. And despite him trying to do right by his wife, he's getting tired of it. My girlfriend is upset by the whole thing, what could I do to help her? We've been dating for about a year and a half now.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't do anything else apart from being close to her.

Most Helpful Guy

• you can't fix people, and certainly not her family... Just give her a place she can come to escape it all. With her home life like that, she will likely just want a break from it all. Don't bring it up either, if she brings it up and is looking to vent, fine, be there for her, but don't intentionally bring that drama into the separate space you are creating.

I dated a girl with a very messed up family and had to do something similar... eventually though, these kinds of relationships just can't work, especially if your home life is stable, but that doesn't mean you can't be a supportive boyfriend for now.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• When you're dating someone, their family becomes your family (depending on how close you will all become) so it puts a strain on the relationship. The same would go if you're family was a mess. How would you want your girlfriend to help you if you were in the same situation? Not much you can do the help this sort of situation, so like ccp16 said, just be the safe place she can go to and support her. Good luck