Can Long Distance relationships work?

Me and my guy are getting to the point where we are either going to have to split up or go the long distance route. We've talked about it and neither of us want to break up. We have a great time together and we really care about each other. I don't want to lose him.
We've talked about what we will do when we are apart eg will we spilt up (be single) and see what happens, will we stay together and remain a couple? So far we've decided to stay together, with him saying that he's considering himself attached while being away. And I agreed.
But I want to know if this can really last? He's mentioned me moving to his home country (I work freelance so it's easier) but he's also talked about moving back to Europe (where we've been living). Is this just lip service or if a guy talks about this is it real?

Can a LDR work?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes BUT you need to have very clear rules BEFORE going LDR. First, you need to have been dating a for a good while before LDR, make something really stable before you throw it to the wind.

You also need to be very clear on what kind of contact, and how frequent to keep in touch. You both need to be on the same page with this and if someone isn't holding up on there end of the deal, it is not meant to work.

You don't have to, but I would also say what you are and are not okay with when it comes to friendships with the opposite sex.

Most Helpful Girl

• Love is not measured by distance , so i do think it is posssible for a LDR to work, but twice the effort is needed than if you both lived near each other.

Personally , i would hold onto my heart until i could hold him in my arms.

Love is about making sacrifices , so you both have to sacrifice something in your lives to be able to be together. So i guess it all depends on if he is worth making sacrifices for... if he is , then don't throw away the chance of a potential soulmate just because there is miles between you. Find a way to close the gap. L

What Guys Said 7

• it easily work in my case i always yell at my LDR when she don't me time to talk we want to get together along but she move on now. we breakup but i want her back because i just want to show her that i get change i have patience and i am not going to argue for small small things but she accept me as a friend now because she don't have feelings for me she said we have to go slow first. then we jump on the things but live her life like she want me as a friend look weird don't know she get feeling for me or not i just want to care full that i don't do it again what i had done before really want to get her back

• Ofc it can... it depends on couple not distance 😊

• I think it can, its a lot of work but in my personal experience it doesn't go too well

• In most cases it does not work, however you can make it work, but only in certain ways

• The old saying goes, Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Which is is true, to a point. People grow while being denied certain necessities such as water, food, or love. Gaining control of your mind can be very healthy. But deprive someone of something for too long then they start to die. Water, 3 days. Food, 3 weeks. But love can be killed in seconds, or years. It's an element that is difficult to measure or harness.
    For your particular situation, it all comes down to long distance relationships, this can put a strain on a relationship. Most don't survive it but the ones who do have a connection that lasts a lifetime. I tried it a few years ago, before Skype, before facebook... wow I'm old... and technology makes it easier. But having nice hiking boots only helps so much while climbing a mountain. The mountain is still there.
    You both might mean it now, but feelings change. So my advice is to write often, see each other weekly (via Skype or other networks) and try to get back to each other.

• Yes, but rarely do.

• Depends on how much you trust this guy. Imagine it's been a few months into your LDR, and you have noticed that the frequency of him contacting you, have dropped. Would this be a big deal? If not it will work out, if this bothers you and you can imagine yourself becoming anxious over the possibilty of him having moved on without you, then an LDR won't be good idea.

What Girls Said 1

• If both of you put a lot of effort in it, it can be saved.