Guys, would you mind if your girlfriend/crush/girl your dating who runs everyday smells really bad after running?

This is super embarassing to ask but its something that bothers me a lot and im super afraid it would be a deal breaker in a future relationship. I really love to run and I run 6 days a week but in the summer time mostly, I sweat a lot and when I come back from runs I smell REALLY bad! like one of my friends, my mom and my stepdad have comented on it when I come back from running and they have been around. I take a shower right away after ward and I've even used lots of body spray and deodorant in the mornings, before a run, and after a shower, but it still happens!!

-It mostly only happens in the summer and super hot weather
-It may be because I have type 1 diabetes and I've read that this condition causes your sweat to smell worse than other people's sweat

Guys, would this bother you if you were in a relationship with a girl who smells bad after runnning/working out?

• It would seriously bother me if she smelled bad after running everyday!
    4% (2)
  • It wouldn't bother me if she smelled bad only after running
    55% (26)
  • I wouldn't really care
    36% (17)
  • It would be a deal breaker...
    5% (2)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

23

Most Helpful Guy

• our bodies are made to sweat. I sweat like crazy and smell bad after i workout. What can i do? i'am a human. I used to be afriad to actually sweatbut idc now. I'am a bit hairy lol so i sweat in like 10 minutes outside in the sun. i don't think much of it anymore. Don't be ashamed of this, we're all human. For me it would not be a deal breaker. Try using a stronger deodorant or something like that.

(btw i read on one of the comments here you run 5 miles? that is insane. i can only run 1 mile and that's it lmao). i'am not a fan of running as you can tell ;)

• Thanks! I enjoyed reading this haha yea, I sweat a lot when its hot and I don't mind sweating, its just that I am sort of afraid to run with people or at the gym cuz I sweat and smell so much :O I will try looking into a stronger deodorant... and yes! I try to do 5 miles 6 days a week, I for sure wouldn't give that up just cuz I smell :P

• damn, that is crazy, running 5 miles for me would be impossible lol. But there are certain levels of deodorant, you can look them up. Also men's deodorant is stronger so you can use that for a change

What Guys Said 22

• I love running when I can to work out. It is summer time here in Texas so the temps get pretty high up there. Like 90 F and humid for an average.

Naturally, I sweat a lot afterward and therefore smell, and I was in cross country so I've seen my fair share sweaty guys/girls too. The smell doesn't really get to me anymore. If it was just after running, I wouldn't mind-- not like it could be much worse than the guy's locker room back in high school. In fact, it'd be kind of odd if you worked out hard, ran a bunch of miles, and came back smelling completely normal. It'd be like you didn't run hard enough xD

If this was a constant thing, like smelling at all times even when not working out, that'd probably be a turn off. Keep running though. Girls working out can be very attractive!

• Thanks! This was helpful :) and I know what you mean, I have bad smell as it is and did track and cross country all through highschool so im a bit desensitized to it... yep, its only after I run. I take a shower right away afterwards and I like to keep super clean and use deodorant and body spray after showers every day.

• I workout and sometimes sweat so I already understand the nuisances of being sweaty. Different people smell differently. It's only a short moment and you're better off especially since you put effort into staying in shape.

Being that you work out you're likely to bump into another person who is the same so that person will understand the struggle.

• Personally, I think it would only bother men if you stayed smelly all evening long or if you went to meet him on a date without showering. Most guys I think would care more that you're living a healthy lifestyle and looking good and fit than the smell after the workout. There may be the few guys that wouldn't want you to jump their bones or sit next to them for a long period of time after getting home from a run, but if you hit the shower not long after you get home, I think most guys would be totally okay with it.

Some of us are self conscious too about how we smell after a workout so put yourself in a guy's shoes on if it bothers you if your boyfriend wreaks after he works out. What would you want him to do if that was the case? I think it's all about that respect of not purposely making him smell your stink if you know it bothers your guy, like if you take pleasure in his reaction.

So your conscious about the problem and as long as you do something like showering, deodorant, when you get in, you don't have an issue. It won't be a deal breaker.

• I honestly have a hard time smelling anything but other people's sweat really doesn't really bother me as long as they take a shower after like you said. I take a shower as soon as im done cooling down after a run. I love guys who are athletic as well so sweating and smell would certainly not be dealbreaker for me! I guess im worried that
      -im a girl, so its less feminine and more gross to guys to be sweating and smelling alot?
      -if i date a guy who isn't as athletic as i am will i gross him out completely?

• My gut tells me that there are very few guys that would be completely grossed out. You'd have to land the on the 1 in 50 that has an issue with it. Everyone has quirks, like people who hate feet or people who have a fear of something. I generally wouldn't worry about it since you said you take a shower afterwards. I say you're safe to date whoever and just see how they react.

I play a lot of sports, some coed and even the pretty girls I do activities with sweat and smell and I don't think any less of them. They are conscious about it and don't like it, but they are married and no husband has had an issue with it.

To answer your first question, perhaps there's that misconception of women sweating and smelling, but I wouldn't say it's more gross to guys.

As far as dating a guy who isn't athletic, I'd say those are the ones who are more likely to have the misconception but I don't see it being a deal breaker for most of them.

• Ok, this makes sense. Thanks so much for your help! :)

• It really doesn't bother me if it's just after running. However, if she smells like that all the time and doesn't really care at all about hygiene, that'd be tough to live with...

• Thanks for responding :) nope, its only after I run usually during the summer but I always shower right after

• You're welcome. :)
      Yeah, I would be okay with that, then.

• If I can see you make an effort to work with it an if it's only during summer and stuff, I wouldn't mind.

If it's because you just being nasty, now we have an issue.

• Thanks, yea its only after I run on hot days and I take a shower as soon as I cool down and stretch from the run. I'm otherwise a very clean person and take 1-2 showers everyday.

• haha ok, i hope i dont end up with a guy like that then. thank you

• You're welcome. hope you find a guy you can probably go out running with too.

• I would be suspicious if my partner did not smell bad after a run. She'd probably be cheating on me :)

All kidding aside. I would not mind

• It could even be a turn on depends on how bad and how I love you.
    we could always take a shower together if you don't want me to take you outside and hose you down in the garden.

• Most people smell bad after running outside in hot weather. It is close to 100F today, after I go for my run I'll take a shower when I get home

• Nobody is going to look perfect after a run - I sweat an awful lot - Sometimes I shower before running or working out to stay a bit fresher.

• Yea, I don't really care about how I look after a run but I definitely care about how bad I smell after a run! I don't like to waste water so I only take a shower after I workout. Thanks for the opinion!

• it can't be that bad ;)

• It is!! Some people apparently smell more than others. Like I had just run 5 miles on the treadmill and I went over to do weights at this gym and these 2 muscular guys made a comment about how 'that girl smells!' and i looked over and they were point at me im SUPER conscious about it now...

• yea i think ill do that thanks for the help tho :) as i said i think its cuz of my type 1 diabetes but maybe i can change my diet and try a different deodorant so im going to do more research :p

• seriously though you'll find a guy who loves your musk one day :P im serious hahaa.

• Everybody stinks after working out

• Yea but some people apparently smell more than others. Like I had just run 5 miles on the treadmill and I went over to do weights and these 2 muscular guys made a comment about how 'that girl smells!' and i looked over and they were point at me :( im SUPER conscious about it now...

• Who cares what people think, just focus on your workouts

• but if i smell bad enough to turn people off at the GYM that MUST be a problem, right? eehhh ill try but i dont wanna gross people out...

• I wouldn't care, there's products, tips, healthy advice from scientists out there if she wanted help its here as well as the support. But I think we can handle the smell but slipping into the shower together... more US time hahahaha. No big deal.

• Obviously, if she smelled bad 24/7 that'd be a turn off. But if she only smells bad between the time she gets home from running, until she gets out of the shower, i wouldn't really care.

• I smell terrible after coming home from work. It would be unfair for me to judge her.

• I wouldn't expect her to smell good after exercising.

• Smell in bad isn't exactly a good thing (obviously), but its a small thing. Small things really don't matter much.

• that's what showers are for

• I know but I was wondering if it bothers guys if you smell after exercise before the shower, even if its for only that small amount of time

• i couldn't care less, sweat smells its life

• Can't be that bad.
    Hell, it might be sexy.

• I draw the at bad breath.

• And nah, I brush my teeth twice a day

• I hear one person's sweat can be sexy to another due to pheromones.
      I don't know much that's true, but I do notice that the women I'm attracted to never seem to stink to me.

• As a guy with at least a basic understanding of anatomy, I know that women are humans, and human bodies heat up during high muscle activity, so they need sweat to cool down. That's just how it is. And you do take a shower as soon as you have the chance, so I see nothing here that a realist could object to.

• A shower solves that problem.

smfh

• Whats why most people take showers after exercising.

• I do shower after of course, but I still smell bad after I run... so if I go for a run with a guy I like I could gross him out lol

• I enjoy my girl when she's hot and sweaty! I usually pounce on her right after dance class!!!

• Yea but does she smell really bad? I smell SUPER bad after running and I sweat ALOT!! :( thats cute by the way ^_^

• Eeehhhh!!! LOL like the underwear that has sweat and the semi-wet crusty white stuff on it? yick haha gotta find me a guy like you xD

• There are plenty of us around! :-)