Cheating Spouses website "AshleyMadison. com" gets hacked and is asked to close down. What do you think?

For those who don't know it, there is a very popular dating website for people who want to cheat on their partner called "AshleyMadison. com" owned by the company named Avid Media.
The same company also owns another website called "EstablishedMen. com" which hooks up rich old men with young females usually students, having trouble paying their uni fees. (it sounds to me like disguised prostitution)

Recently, a group of Hackers managed to steal around 40 Million people's personal information from the website, and demands that Avid Media closes down their 2 websites.
If Avid Media doesn't comply, the hackers will leak all the personal information of millions of people, revealing their name, their nude photos and sexual fantasies, which could destroy their couple.

AshleyMadison. com uses the slogan "Life is short. Have an affair" ...
---------------------------

What do you think about this situation?

I don't usually condone vigilante justice but I can't help finding these hackers to be heroes in this specific case.

Cheating Spouses website

• These hackers are Heroes, fuck Avid Media
  • These hackers are criminals but I do not support Avid Media neither
  • These hackers are criminals and I actually like Avid Media's way of thinking

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 13

• It's a mixture of A and B. They are hackers it's a crime for them to hack into the system, but I don't support such websites like Ashley Madison.

It kind of makes sense that Ashley Madison is making money on this from a negative perspective and the hackers want to stop that and also expose the users on there. The hackers are saving marriages, couples? Kind of, but its not doing the individual couples any good. It just saves the person from cheating on their spouses/partner.

If the person goes to such lengths to sign themselves up on a website like that, they can find another website that does the exact same service that Ashley Madison gives. It's only the matter of time.

• I don't really support an invasion of privacy but I DEFINITELY don't support cheating on your spouse... I'm torn. Like the privacy breach sucks but I can't say I feel sorry for them.

• Bottom line: you cheat, bad shit is bound to happen. IF these people had decided they loved their spouse and didn't want to cheat on them, they wouldn't have gone to such a website, thus putting their private information in danger.

• While I do not support this disgusting website, I also don't support the hackers either. Who's to say that they won't use these people's information for something else if they feel like it?

• Those people are cheaters so who cares?

• @creepycreeper I get that and I don't condone what they're doing. I've been cheated on. I know how it feels. That said, I also don't condone invading someone's privacy.

• I support the hackers though this line is blurry between whether its black or grey hat. These scum bag cheaters were dumb enough to use their credit cards that have all their info just to have an affair so they get what they deserve to be exposed and Avid Media does too for creating this platform and lying to their customers about their privacy being deleted it and making them pay for it even though it still can be traced.

• Those spouses of cheaters need to know the truth

• *CORRECTION: IT'S NOT AS BAD AS YOU MAKE IT SOUND.

As a current intern for the industry that runs the sites-the director himself has come to tell that it's not a "completely" serious problem. Gaining access back has always been there. It's a matter of tracing back the users that's making the commotion. Please correct yourself before you begin throwing your so called "facts".

• When the Washington Post, the New York Times, and others, will correct their "so called facts" then maybe I will deem updating what's here.

What your boss presumably told you bears no credibility to me. It's called Internal Marketing...

• I mean, it is pretty funny I have to admit lol

I'm torn like everyone else and I definitely don't think people should have their personal information or photos leaked.

• I don't support the hackers, but I'm pretty amused about the cheaters getting exposed. Seriously 40 million? That's a lot of people looking to cheat!

• I have no opinon of the hackers but at least the wives get to know what's going on.

• Your aware that there are cheating wives as well right? Men don't have a premium on being crappy people, that is a trate that is gender neutral.

• @Hellionthesage
      Again you're assuming things by putting words in my opinon that are not even there. Believe what you want.

• "but at least the wives get. . ." to specifie is to exclude others that do not fit the definition by proxy. These are your words not mine. Believe what you will.

• I don't support the web side, and I don't support the hackers. It's not their business to expose the cheaters, but I don't at all think they're criminals either. They should just leave it.

• I actually joined this website under a fake name. I used it one day and only got messaged from a girl which was odd. So I never used it again lol never paid either. If I read right, the website owners pay certain girls to message men when they join so they're driven to pay in order to be able to message the girls. After joining, the girls disappear.

• Karma is a bitch.

• Anybody know what these hackers are doing this for? Are they gaining anything?

• Yeah. Moral. They're not asking for any money or anything.

• I love them now. It's nice that some people still have morals.

What Guys Said 19

• Lets be honest. If you cheat or help others cheat you deserve to get cheated yourself.

http://img.memecdn.com/karma_o_104623.jpg

• I think cheating on a unsuspecting loving partner is worse than most crimes. I also respect that that website is a legal business. I don't support black mail often but I think that possibly helping the persons partner find out they are being betrayed or making cheating harder by shutting the site down are both positive acts.

The only wrong I can see they are doing is hurting the companies business. I don't think revealing the potential cheaters intentions is wrong. Maybe it is wrong in a way but I don't see a way to have sympathy for betraying another person like that. I mean I understand they have a desire to cheat but I think their partners would likely want to know and I feel biased towards the victim partner.

• I hadn't heard about this. Cheating is bad, but it is a private issue and isn't anyone's business other than those involved. If my wife cheated on me the last thing I would want is for the rest of the world to find out about it.

These hackers are out of control and need to be stopped. Not only are they breaking the law they are threatening to hurt thousands of people if the company doesn't do what they want. They are threatening the users, and not the company. That would be like me blackmailing you because you shop at Walmart, and demanding Walmart shuts down or I will expose you. It is threatening the wrong person.

What if they were threatening to expose someones sexuality, or medical files, just because they didn't agree with the people using the website? Where do we draw they line? Peoples personal ideals about morality can not be used to justify breaking the law.

Anyone thinking that site encouraged people to have an affair are mistaken. That site only catered to the type of people that would have had an affair anyway. There are plenty of other such sites created for one night stands, casual encounters, hook ups or anything else they want to call it. There is literally no difference between these companies except for the marketing campaign they used to stand out.

I am sure the police could catch a lot more criminals by wire tapping all of our phones and putting up cameras in our homes. However there are laws protecting our privacy for a reason. Catching someone doing something wrong is not worth violating that persons rights.

• Logicly/intellectually, I do not know what to make of this. What both parites are doing is questionable, ashleymadison is a legal business but feeds off of emotional damage and destroyed relationships which is completely immoral but legal. The hackers breached and stole information and are using it to get an outcome they want which is illegal yet its to destroy and punish a group who is essentially makeing money off of suffering and by punishing and shaming helping reastablish trust in humanity and thus would make it moral. Howver I do not know what there motivation is so it my not be altruistic but equally selfish. We do not have vigilantieism because people are fallable and make mistakes, they can also become corrupted by power they have and without proper checks and balances they could become equally corrupt what with forcing there own ideological morality on others. However, even from a legal point, a destroyed marriage is not conducive to a functional society since its harder to raise children and those children will not grow up to be as functional as there healthy family counterparts, which in turn would reduce productivity etc. So I don't know, intellectually speaking, whether or not this is right. If however we are speaking from an emotional perspective, I have no pity for these people. To feed off of suffering and actually condone/encourage the harming of others is beyond disgusting. Those people who would be willing to destroy there marriages and by extention there spouses life, and there childrens lives just for a brief moment of physical pleasure don't deserve to be happy they don't deserve to get away with what there doing. Shaming and punishing bad behavior is what teaches people not do wrong and to think about the consequences of there actions, its why we do it as a society. They have it comming. Though I doubt anything will come of it, I hope that not only do they manage to shut ashleymadison down but then release all the user information anyway. Its about goddamn time people start calling others out for this crap.

• A bit of trivia, Ashley Madison has more users than eHarmony does. What does that say? Just think about it for a minute. I think it speaks volumes to how morally degenerate Western nations have become nowadays. Nothing is sacred anymore. Not even the wedding vows people take to love and honor one another. Sickening.

• I've never supported AshelyMadison or EstablishedMen. One is an illegal brothel, one is a marriage wrecker. "Life is short. Have an affair..." What kind of crap slogan is that? How about, "Life is short. Fuck your husband like he's going to war." or "Life is short. Drill your wife like an Alaskan oil rig."? If you can't handle monogamy, you had no business getting married in the first place. Enjoy your divorce fees and court dates. Once upon a time, marriage was a spiritual union. Now it's a tax break and a business model. What a joke.

• They are heroes avid media are monsters

• Yeah I think they did a service... I mean if people weren't scumbags than their info would never have been in that sites database to be stolen in the first place

• i don't understand how there is a 'popular website' dedicated to cheaters. like... if i had a spouse I suspected of cheating, the first thing I would do is check that website to see if she had a profile. I can't be the first person to come up with this.

• Wow. I think I just fell in love with a group of hackers. 0.0
    This is an odd feeling.

I think that they have obviously broke the law and should be punished if caught but I can't deny that I would be glad if the details were leaked and I don't really mind that they've done this.

(And yes, that does sound like disguised prostitution.)

• I think the real story here isn't the hacking, it the fact that there's 37 million people in relationships in the USA that is actively cheating.

There's only 60million married couples in the USA. Like... 37million cheaters out of 120 people in relationships... that's a HUGE number!

• The cheating ratio in countries of Europe is around 40% more or less. I'm not surprised at all by this number. I think it's worldwide though which is not so much.
      Cheaters don't all use the website lol.

• Theses hackers are going at it the wrong way, they should be blackmailing all the wealthy clients and making millions. Besides thier pointless risk they took to shut it down for no reward or gain, Im really apathetic twords them, the company had an obvious flaw that they exploited so either winner here is no sweat off my back

• I don't think money is the motive. They want to shut down the hub or at least reveal the cheaters.

• because not every human is driven by money... thank god. Some people still have values.

• There's something more to this, pepole do t just risk everything for nothing

• I wonder if the hackers have something to hide from their loved ones. I think the hackers should release the information anyway.

• Two groups of terrible people fucking with each other? I don't care.

• Well done hackers well done , those losers need to be shamed

• I don't see hacking as any worse than cheating. Actually I lean towards the hackers in this case.

• I support the Hackers.

• They are disgusting websites and I have no sympathy for anyone who was hacked, but what the hackers did was a crime and so is the extortion they are performing with the information gleaned.

• Many Puritans here.