So what do people actually talk about on a first date, assuming that you hardly know each other?

I've never been on a proper first date, at least not with a guy that I didn't know for quite some time beforehand. I knew my husband for 6 years before we started dating, so our first date was pretty much like any other time we spent together.

So I'm wondering what you can actually talk about on a date with a new person that you just met? I know there's the standard questions about what they like to do, favourite movies/TV shows, jobs, etc. But those questions only go so far. How do people keep the conversation alive and interesting?

What happens if the conversation falls flat, but you still like the person?

Just to be clear, I'm still married and I'm not cheating on him. I'm asking just because I want to know.

Most Helpful Guy

• It all varies really depending on the common interests but usually get to know you questions, maybe something about what were doing on the date, current events, etc

If the conversation falls flat, I'm aware of it but then give it some time to see if it'll improve. If the conversations seem forced, generic, after the first date then it probably won't work out. I hate being on dates where I feel like I'm interviewing the person because it's hard to tell if the girl is shy or not interested. Makes me feel like I'm trying too hard.

Most Helpful Girl

• I usually talk about my hobbies, interests, my work, and my bucket list. I try to keep it light and extract as much information as I can about the other person

What Guys Said 8

• Well, I've never dated someone I just met. I actually have gotten to know people I dated reasonably well before I asked them out.

I knew my wife for several months before I asked her out. I saw her every day at work. Before I asked her out, we often talked shop and she taught me a thing or two about Western music. When we went out on our first official date, she got seasick. I spent the rest of the afternoon playing nurse while she recovered. We watched a movie, after which we talked about it. We also talked about our education and what it was like going to college.

I guess the closest I came to "someone I just met" would be the lady I asked out a few months ago. She was the first woman I dated since my wife's passing. She was the receptionist at a community center I frequented. As to what we talked about, I think we told a few humorous stories. We talked about our work (she was rather interested in what teachers do). Then we went for a drive where she talked about her family and growing up, which was quite interesting and sad.

• I usually die a thousand deaths - I am amazed when I make to second date

• I never interrogate. Conversation is an art few people study nowadays, but it's a powerful tool in courtship, like dancing

• I have always wondered that, I am unsure myself, I guess just to find out who they are as a person.

• Dreams and future aspirations.

• That's a good topic. Can be a springboard for other topics as well.

• Yeah it can turn to almost any topic. Even just talking about your views for the future can get you through like 3 hours of conversation. A lot of the time for me it turns into just talking about metaphysics and the universe as a whole. I think it's a good way to get to know someone. You learn what they think of the world (while staying away from politics which I don't think is the best first date topics).

• I would talk about the things she likes to do, her family, and whatever I can think of to let her talk about what she wants to talk about.

• Music, T. V. shows, anything to help us get to know each other.

• Yeah I know but there's only so much you can say about your favourite shows.

• Then pick something else, maybe freinds or family. Whatever you need to get to know each other better.

• Did u found sumone new or ur cheating D=

What Girls Said 2

• Your interests, your jobs, what you are looking for in life...

• Anything

Hobbies
    Current events
    Vacations
    Food