Men: Would you date or be in a relationship with a girl that makes less than you?

I am embarassed that I don't have very much. I am 27 years old and work for local gov. My car is really old and the ac does not work and I have a small one bedroom apt. I am just wondering if a man will date a woman who makes a lot less than he does. I don't have a smart phone or cable and I try to save my money. Most of my money is in the bank and I have abou 10k. I am just wondering does this turn a man off. The guy that shows interest in me is an accountant and way older than me. He is pretty much established.

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys don't tend to care about that stuff as much as women. Most marriages that happen are between men that make more than the woman. Whereas rich women and poor men are less likely to get married. Your lack of wealth is a complete non issue for most guys.

From a guys perspective caring about how much the other person makes is shallow, since it is something we simply don't value in a woman. Much like how from a woman's perspective the stuff guys do care about is shallow, since they don't care about the stuff that we value. Men and women generally just aren't attracted to the same traits and never will be.

• Wrong wrong wrong. I'm college educated and expect my future wife to be the same and make a decent amount of money. Rich women do marry poor men buddy.

• @Floyd790 I really don't know why you want to argue about this. You already admitted I am right, by claiming everyone agreed because you think we are still living with the misconceptions that the man has to be the provider.

• Except that statistics prove that marriages where the woman makes more money are more likely to fail and that the women are more likely to cheat and less likely to desire sex with that man.

But what do I know. Fuck science and statistics. Floyd790 opinion obviously is right, because anecdotal evidence always is.

What Guys Said 17

• Of the 40 or so women that I've dated over the years, maybe 2-3 have made as much or more money as I do/did. Many made considerably less. I was fine with that.

But more to the point, I'd MUCH rather date a girl who lives within her means and works to save money (as you do) vs. the girl who runs up huge debt buying things she can't afford just to "keep up" with her friends or to project a lifestyle she can't really afford. The latter girl is always going to be financially toxic, while the former girl will do great as she eventually makes more money, or gains access to her man's money.

• Not smart phone? Are you homeless too?

The days we don't date a nice person on a modest salary because they don't have a smartphone is the day I might give up on society.

As your for your question. Yes I would if they have a heart of gold.

• Well you seem pretty responsible though. If you have 10 K in the bank that is actually better than most people in your age group. (Assuming you don't have much in say, credit card debt.) I would consider dating you.

• Earnings is no issue at all. My mother says to me that in our family whenever a woman steps into a new family after marriage, she must move into a family which is at least one level higher (financially). However a good education is preferred. And no... it is not a turn off when a girl makes less (I speak for most men I suppose)

• Yeah as long as she's still working and isn't lazy then I see no problem. It's interesting because my brothers girlfriend makes more than he does but they both have good jobs and their relationship still works out,

• If I love a girl enough to want to spend my life with her, where she lives, what she does for a living or what she earns is unimportant.
    Any guy that has a problem with any of that is not the right guy for you anyway.

• I think many men would prefer a woman that makes less than they do over a woman who makes more than them.

Maybe they like the idea that they are improving your lifestyle, I don't know.

• Well as long as she worked hard and wasn't lazy I would not care. My goal is to become a lawyer so I think I'll have enough for both of us! ^^

• I could care less, as long as I like being with her doesn't matter what job she has, heck my family's motto has always been "A (My last name) Man's job is to work hard enough so his (My last name's) wife doesn't have to"

• Money is just numbers on a piece of paper. If you win the lottery, lose your job or become seriously ill then your material situation would be transformed.

• I am hunting for hot girls not rich girls! if i want money i wuld get it. why girl is needed? i just want a hot girl in relationships.

• Guys don't care about how much money you make. That's something only chicks care about at all.

• Yes I prefer to be the bread winner anyways.

But I work for the gov to as an Advanced Emergency Medical Technician. I work for a county EMS service.

• Yes sure
    as long as she isn't lazy

• I'd rather not.

• Nope. If a man is interested in you he won't care whether you are rich or poor. He will appreciate every part of you. Don't be so negative ;)

• I am pretty sure the women making less is the majority, so yes.

What Girls Said 7

• Usually they avoid women who make more.

• I dont think they care. If you have something its good enough. Like the others say, dont be lazy about it :)

Tell yourself that you have at least some income coming in.

• I think they would be in a relationship with them. Women tend to care about the status of guys. Not the other way around. This is why sometimes you see women being the gold diggers.

• It depends on the person you're dating. Some men like the thought of being able to provide for their family/woman they're dating whereas some look for women who can keep up with their lifestyle. It's a matter of preference

• I think they would rather not date a girl who makes more than them.. pride

• Guys don't care about stuff like that

• Wrong I won't date a girl who isn't college educated like myself and who doesn't have a career.

• I would not.