Girls, would you date a guy with kids?

Single father; is he on / off the menu for you?

• Yes I would date a single father
    43% (19)
  • No I would not date a single father
    41% (18)
  • Yes I would but only if he just had 1 child
    16% (7)
  • Yes I would if he only had 1 to 2 children
    0% (0)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll
07-31-2015: Wow I didn't know this would be such a close race. Glad to see a few "Yes" votes.

21

Most Helpful Girl

• Only if I was in my 30's or 40's because it would be expected then

What Girls Said 20

• I have dated many single fathers and each one of them had kid and baby-mama drama. Even if the guy was decent, I could never get a break from the problems that had nothing to do with me. I just had to sit and listen to them all the time - every day. Yes, EVERY day.

I married a man without kids, so we are both living our lives the way we want to. If anything happened to me where I was put back in the dating scene again, I only remember such negative things about men with kids and refuse to put myself in to that situation again. I'm on board with everything @Prettygurl12 has said.

• I have nothing against people dating single fathers but I personally would not.

I do not wish to have children and the child is already there - he comes with the package.

Additionally, I want to be my husband's first and only partner and the kid kind of makes that impossible.

If I DID want to have kids and I DIDN'T want to marry a virgin then a single father wouldn't be an issue.

• No.
    Never.

Not because he's a single father but because I can never be sure of the past around the child and their mother + I don't want to be a mother to anyone who's not my kid... Not selfish - just practical and level headed.
    They'd never love or respect me the way they would if I were their mother.

• I totally see your point. In my relationship I kind of went the opposite of what my question in and dated a single mother. At the time I had no kids, no obligations and life was simple but she was the kind of woman who just took my breath away; I had to have her. But yes her child (from a pervious marriage) does add a layer of stress to the relationship. As in I'm technically not his dad so I'm awful at stuff like disciplining him. Whenever he acts up or does something weird I usually punt the issue to my wife to address. I mean I'd do anything for this kid and I really try to be a great father but in reality it does feel different / slightly detached. Not to mention the whole shared parenting thing is a nightmare; they spoil the heck out of this kid so he comes back from his biological dads house expecting the world to be handed to him and it drives us crazy. But anyway thank you for your opinion.

• I am currently dating a single father, granted his kids are not really children anymore. One is 23 and one 16. Even given their ages there are still issues we face that we would not if he did not have kids, especially since I am only 6 years older than his oldest. In the end, I wouldn't change it even if I could. Him being a father is a huge part of his life and has shaped who he is as a person. Yes, his children are number one in his life, but they should be! I would not have it any other way. He is a wonderful father and it makes me love him even more.
    All of this being said, I could never date a man who was not a responsible, loving father. I have no respect for deadbeat dads. So, my answer is, yes I am and would in the future date a single dad if he was responsible, loving and did everything to be a part of his children's lives that he could, because that is the type of man that I want to be with.

• Thank you for the opinion. Yeah I probably should have clarified that in the question; "Would you date a good single father?" or something to that nature. Deadbeat dads (or moms for that matter) are the scum of the earth.

• You're welcome!

• Sure, I'd date a single father. But I wouldn't get too involved with the child until we had been in a relationship for a few months, and we already worked out whether we were compatible and had a good idea of whether the relationship can work or not.

• I'm not emotionally prepared for children.

• Depends on where in my life I were. Right now, no way I'd date a single father! In my mid twenties, I'd have to like him a lot to be up for it. In my thirties or forties, yes I would. I wouldn't be surprised if a guy had kids by then, since most have been married or gotten children at that age.

• I have kids of my own so ofc I would. I would actually like that even if I didn't have kids, I've done it in the past. Single dads can be really special.

• I'd say depends I f I really liked him already i'd give it a shot but personally I prefer not too because I don't want to end up traumatizing his kid if we don't work out. It would be really sad for the kid to have these expectations of getting a new mom and then it turns out I break up with his or her dad or the reverse happens and then they're left disappointed.

• Yeah means I dont have to have any if we stick it out.

• That's a good reason. After watching child birth, wow, it looks awful.

• Thats another reason I dont want any. Ugh. No thanks.

• Not at my age.

• Good choice. I wouldn't recommend it until your ready. At 21 I defiantly wasn't ready; too much fun stuff in life to be tied down.

• If I really really liked him. Then- Yes, I would.

• If I see he is being good with the kid, yes.

• No I want to date a guy with no kids. But there are women that would date a single father.

• Yeah... totally! He should be a good person tho :-)

• Thanks for the opinion. Yup anyone you get into a relationship with should be a good person.

• If I were a bit older then yes

• Can you define "a bit"? I see you age is listed as 16; if you were say 20 or 25 would do you think you'd be more acceptable to it?

• I was suggesting in my twenties yes. If I were 20 I would be open to it completely.

• The guy would have to be exceptional but i think i could. Maybe 1 child.

• I'd only date him if I had children myself.

• No because I wouldn't want to hurt the kids feelings because I hate children

• I had the same feeling on kids for the first 25-years of life. Couldn't stand them; annoying, needy, time consuming, expensive, etc. Honestly never saw myself having children. But then (as all good stories go) I met the right woman who happened to already have a child from a previous marriage. I fell in love with her and then the whole "playing house" thing with her and her child kind of made my feelings subside. Fast forward to five years later I'm married to her and we have two other children and they just melt my heart. By all means kids are still a pain in the neck a lot of the time but now I couldn't imagine them not being there.

• Sure, as long as I'm attracted to him and he doesn't have evil spawns then yeah :)