What are your first thoughts when a guy tells you he's an engineering major?

Nerd?

Attractive/Unattractive?

I get weird and different responses all the time.

Girls seem to think engineers are guys with no social skills and very nerdy.
bump.

Most Helpful Girl

• As an engineer myself, I don't find that impressive.

• Female undergrad engineer.. didn't even know you girls existed lol.

• @Anon1999 (we figured that one out, my love, but thank you for clarifying)

• Lol sorry about that I overthink things when I am tired :/ Thanks for being understanding though :)

Most Helpful Guy

• This how a lot of the engineers that I know that are awkward talk. They think the title or degree makes them better or more desirable. Couldn't be further from the truth. It has nothing to do about the education but rather the person behind the degree. This question seems to be just wanting to brag about being in engineering school. Not impressed.

• Not trying to impress anyone. I just have gotten some negative reactions from women in my year telling them. Most of the guys that get laid the most are business admin majors.

• I'll most likely be 27 when I graduate. Kind of discouraging to think about it but I know the end reward will be an amazing career.

• Don't sweat your age that is not a big deal at all. A lot of engineers are coming up to retirement age so companies are having to replace them fast. Having an engineering undergrad will pretty much open the door for any job you engineering related or not.

What Girls Said 11

• That he must be quite smart, cause all that engineering stuff seems pretty complicated to me. It's not a bad thing, not at all.

• That you're an engineering major. Your major doesn't make you attractive or unattractive *coughlibartsandcraftscough*... it's what you do with it. :|

• Usually that he's smart. Much smarter than I am because I hate math and barely tolerate it.

I'm not a dumbass though to assume that he's un/attractive based off of his profession. That makes not a lick of sense.

• Most girls have the perception that engineers are lonely nerds with no social skills or women in their lives

• IF that's true---and there's no way of knowing--then most women are dumbasses. Just because there is a stereotype about many things does not mean that it's true majorly.

• just that he's someone i could geek out with.

• Engineering major where i am from are usually super serious and almost always busy which is turn on in the sense that they are technical (for the most part), smart and hard-working but a turn-off in the sense that they might not be around much...

• I think it's very interesting! My major is music and I also get a lot if different reponses. lol

• It wouldn't make him less attractive. I would think he was smart and that he was someone who's working to reach his goals.

• Very interesting and then I would start asking what kind of engineer.

My boyfriend is going for computer engineering and it's really fascinating to learn about what all he has to know.

• Computer engineering is pretty dull.. he must have a passion for it.

• He does. He loves to code. Which I have fun when he explains the stuff to me and shows me how he did some things.

• He should go software engineering or computer science he's more favorable in coding. Computer engineering is more hardware. If he's still a freshman or sophomore he can still switch.

• that he must be good at maths

• My ex was one

• It would peak my interest to have a conversation with this guy.

What Guys Said 4

• I salute you for being able to pass one of the most difficult careers out there. That's basically my first thought. I know of guys that are great with girls and are doing engineering, so I don't think those with that career are nerds or lack in social skills.

• It means he's an Engineering major...

I can't see why that would in anyway have an effect on how attractive one is?

• Most girls think engineers are very nerdy with little to no social skills.

• Well, To me, It dosent change you at all, Its just your choice of proffession i guess.

• I find it admirable for pursuing such a rigorous but respectable major and wish him all the luck in the world

• Well, are you nerdy with no social skills?

• Can be nerdy can be kinda of awkward sometimes but I'm well rounded and have dated women.

• I struggle at times just like any guy. Tinder helps lol

• Just remember that as an engineer major, former member of law enforcement, you are better than most girls.

You should be out there having your way lol.

But as long you aren't completely failing, that's good too.