Would you date someone who once attempted suicide?

Most Helpful Guy

• 'Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.' And the truth is, everyone has thought about suicide, some have even tried. Suicide isn't really about killing one's self. It's about the feeling of powerlessness and the desperate need to escape. It really comes down to a person feeling like no one is listening. I've worked in a psych hospital for several years, and if a person want to commit suicide, to really kill themselves, they'll do it. If someone has failed, they wanted to fail. They wanted to get caught or stopped or talked down. There are so many people who have tried to commit suicide, it is not a condemnable action. As for whether or not you should date them, that really comes down to how well you trust this person and your ability to work with them. Having now known of this, that only means you know that they are reaching out for someone. If you're alright being that person, being the support they need, then go for it. People struggle so much in life, and just because you date someone who hasn't ever tried to commit suicide doesn't grantee they won't in the future. I feel your struggle and hope things work out

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah because we all have things in our past we aren't proud of.

"Do not judge one by their past, instead look at who they become from it."

Although some of us have very rocky pasts.
    They have helped mold us into a better individual.
    That person was at a time or place in their life where they lacked self worth.
    I would be interested to know what caused that.
    I would let that person know that I value them and they are better than the negative things they felt about themselves.

The persons mindset s probably different now.
    Why would I leave a permanent stamp on the person defining him/her by past actions?
    That isn't right in my opinion.

I see people as they are now.
    We have all been 'someone else' or 'not ourselves' at one point.
    Life has a way of doing that to you.

I would just be glad him/her saw the light and made it out of that dark hole.

What Guys Said 11

• It all depends on if she's out of depressive, suicidal tendencies.
    If she's still considering doing that, I'd be concerned with getting her help then dating her.

• Yes, wouldn't be a deal breaker with me

• It depends on the will to improve, face, confront and overcome ones own demons.

If that person simply wallows in self-pity - no thanks.
    If that person is actively trying to improve for their better - I would help and be willing to date.

• Oh that is a tough one - Probably would find out the whole story first before deciding what to do.

• If all that is in the past then I don't see a problem. We all have our dark moments in life.

• Question, would you be making a point of announcing it on the first date?

• yh man no problem.. you get me fam?

• no, never.

• maybe... if I like them

• Why did you have to ask this? It really depends. If I'm falling for this person and they have a really nice personality then yes I would. However, I'd rather not be put in this situation. I've literally seen a suicide attempt and I think that's one too much for me.

• No those people are terrible at following through with things or getting any immediate results and are full of empty promises.

I would date a girl who was actually successful at suicide but that is hard to do for obvious reasons

What Girls Said 10

• I would Think Twice about it with a possible track record that could come around Again with a Full circle problem pattern of One they 'Attempted suicide,' they could very well do it... Again, my friend.
    Someone like This Definitely has mental issues, and even being on meds and seeing a Professional, it can always be Something, many times a Mountain of Mental Illness.
    It takes a Special someone to be there for them. However, one's choice can always lead to their own Demise because having to deal with the madness and the sadness is never a Really a complete Road to full Recovery, which could even Lead To... Devastation of destruction.
    Good luck. xx

• I have dated someone who has attempted suicide in the past, I don't see it as a barrier as it happened before I came into his life, all though he would say when he was feeling down, and that would worry me, overtime things go better and I worried less.

• Yes. You don'tknow why they did oor whatwas going through their head. I wwouldn't date somebody who was still suicidal, Iwould be a friend and help them through, but if they were suicidal in the past tthen sure? Why not?

• If they put it behind him yeah

• Yes, just because someone has attempted doesn't mean anything. If anything, it means they've been broken and need help from someone who'll show them love and that it's okay to be broken... They just need help with being fixed.

• No I wouldn't

• well yeah i dont think it actually matters

• Yes. Lots of people suffer from depression. I would treat them the same as anyone else.

• No, I wouldn't

• Yes, if they were better now.