Is there really a stigma with being a single mom?

I ask this because it seems that my son, who is 4, has never been an impediement to attracting men. Although I know men are still attracted to me, I don't bring people around him. I was with my ex for about 5 years and at best the relationship was on and off and he had lots of anger issues that he could never resolve. I am 27 years old and am just wondering why everyone is saying that it is hard to find a good man if you are single. It's not like i was easy and have only been with one partner sexually. Opinions.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, it wouldn't be a problem with me. I've dated women with kids before. I have kids, too, so I guess that helped.

What Guys Said 5

• As with most other situations, it's more an attitude thing. There are single mothers who post here about why the guy will always come second and that they'd best shut up and get in line with that. That kind of combativeness will be seen as a turn-off.

• I would date a single mom but id never marry one.

• Well, you've done more with that partner than only being with him. Personally, i don't wanna sound like a jackass, but i wouldn't like to date a single mother. Let alone dating, chances of me thinking a future with her is really really low.

• If it was an on and off relationship... why even have a kid in the first place?

• Maybe, there's also personal/practical reasons why people don't want to get into a relationship with a single mother.

What Girls Said 2

• People who create or follow these stigmas are closed-minded and just need an excuse as to why they don't want to date a single mom. If they have never dated one and they just don't even want to try, there is a chance that the single moms aren't the real problem. I wouldn't want to date those types of guys anyway. It does save you some trouble in the long-run. There are plenty of guys out there who are more than willing to date a single mom. What people need to realize is that it isn't the fact that the woman is a mom that is the real problem in most cases. The real problem is the woman herself or the fact that the two adults just don't mesh well together. It's just easier and lazier for the child to be the blame. Also, too many guys are not mature enough to handle not getting all of the woman's attention 24/7. These guys tend to be more selfish and aren't generally considerate of the woman they are with regardless. They don't always see the woman for who she is.

• I don't think its a big deal.