Those of you who don't like smokers: If your dream girl/guy was a smoker, would you date them or would it still be a deal-breaker?

I know there are many people here who say that they hate smokers, that smoking is a deal-breaker, that they wouldn't date a smoker. But imagine if your absolute perfect dream girl/guy came along, s/he was everything you've ever wanted both looks and personality wise, except their one and only flaw was that they were a smoker, smoked cigarettes everyday. Would you really not date them just because of that? Would it still break the deal?

I'm one of those people who don't like smokers, I find smoking disgusting, I hate the smell and all that. But I feel like if the guy was otherwise perfect for me, he had everything else going for him, I would still date him, I'd just have to learn to live with that one flaw. I couldn't let an amazing guy slip out of my fingers just because he's a smoker.

• It would still be a deal-breaker, I wouldn't date them
  • It wouldn't be a deal-breaker, I would date them
  • Results / I myself am a smoker / I have no problem at all dating smokers in general

Most Helpful Guy

• It wouldn't be a deal breaker, if she was prepared to be "reasonable" in terms of where to smoke. Not inside the house, for example. And not in the car.
    I wouldn't run away from someone I love but I obviously don't want to get lung cancer from passive smoking :o

Most Helpful Girl

• I would try to get them to quit. Why would I date someone who, every day, damages their lungs... oh lungs, they aren't important or anything.

My ideal perfect guy wouldn't smoke. But if the guy was pretty close, I would give him a chance. I would really prefer if he would quit though.

And just to be cute and make everyone gag, my boyfriend doesn't smoke. So, my dream guy is perfect :333333

• thanks for mhg, when did this happen o. o thank you :) !

What Guys Said 18

• If they smoke, then they are not my dream girl.

• This would be so hard for me because I would be thinking she is my dream girl but at the same time I would struggle to accept she is a smoker. I can't stand smoking! It is gross.

• Definitely a deal breaker. I've never dated a girl that smoked. I don't and I prefer to not be around it. I have crossed potentials off my list because fo the behavior. Yes, people can change - and when they do - come calling - but I'm not going to take up a relationship 'hoping' I can change them.

• She'd have to quit immediately.

More than that, she'd have to WANT to quit, otherwise it's a no-go for me. It's one of very few true deal breakers that I've got.

• Total dealbreaker for me - I hate smoking

• No, it really is that much of a deal breaker for me, not only is it the smell, but it is the personality type that chooses to smoke regularly and health problems that go along with it.

• Simple. They wouldn't actually be my dream girl of they smoked.

• Lol I knew people would say this xD You know what I mean...

• I have asthma and I'm afraid of second hand smoke. Plus, i don't want my partner to die of lung cancer, so even if they had every last one of my desired traits in a woman, I'd turn her down if she smoked.

• that's fair enough!

• Not a deal breaker

• Smoking is a very very big deal breaker for me no matter what.

• I'd try to convince her to quit

• I really don't know

• No it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me even though I do smoke ( not drugs or cigarettes ) I do rather despise cigarettes, so as long as they kept it under control and did it outside or somewhere were the smell wouldn't bother anyone I wouldn't mind.

• yes I would.

• if she was willing to stop...

• Smokers are nasty foul smelling pigs.

• A couple years ago definitely would have been a deal breaker. However more recently I've come to realise girls who smoke are more likely to be adventurous/risk taker types and are less likely to be caught up worry about consequences and instead go ahead and enjoy themselves - they seem to be more sexually active. So I think I could put up with it now if we get on and she has redeeming features such as a healthy sexual appetite.

• I can't tolerate being around people who smoke. There is no way I'd date a girl who smoked, even occasionally.

• Smoking is trashy, it's a deal breaker.

What Girls Said 9

• Unless the guy was incredible about being undercover with their smoking, there is no way I would be dating them long enough to fall in love and think he's perfect... even though he's a smoker. First couple of dates you usually know they are smokers and smoking is a complete turn off. Even smokers cannot argue health benefits unless you want to accelerate health risks and death for not only you, but your partner. My great aunt was a non-smoker married to a smoker. He died of a heart attack and she died of lung cancer. My perfect guy is one that doesn't smoke. There is nothing worth risking my health over to be with someone who does smoke.

• The perfect dream girl/guy would feel like a trick to me if they didn't have a flaw. The smoking would calm down the paranoid conspiracy theorist in me.

Jokes aside I think that smoking is disgusting and frankly just plain stupid. The data is out there, lung cancer is real. So if I met dream guy who happened to smoke I'd knock him over the head with an oncology textbook and drag him back to my cave. I'm sorry for saying jokes aside and then continuing to joke. I too am flawed.

• It would be tough to deal with because I am an ex smoker, but if he was literally perfect for me in every other way I'd give it a shot...

• Id try to talk him out of it since I know it can be very addictive, but if he doesn't consider and understand how harmful it is too body and would want to live with the long term damage, Id drop him. Plus second hand smoke is just as unhealthy

• if they smoked, i would not date
    problem solved

• I don't have a dream guy lol
    But if I had and he was a smoker.. I wouldn't mind..
    I'd just tell him to introduce me to 'smoking' and then we'll smoke together lol

• I have asthma so that would probably be a bad idea.

• smoking the mj occasionally counts right?

• My dad got cancer in his mouth from chewing tobacco and started smoking after that because he was addicted. He died a couple of years ago because of lung cancer unfortunately. Also, I have asthma and hate the smell of cigarettes with a passion. All of these things together add up to me NEVER dating anyone who smokes. I don't even like to be around people who smoke really.