Can you be friends with your ex?

Recently my boyfriend now ex boyfriend, broke up well more like yesterday. We dated for awhile and then he decided that he couldn't base our relationship just on lust. He still wants to be friends, I don't know if I can be friends with him it hurts to much to even think about him. He knows that I liked him a lot. I don't know what to do.

We we have been friends for seven years before we started dating.

• Yes you can
  • No you can't

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but it's a bit of a minefield. If he was hurt by the break up, it's gonna be harder. If you mention your current guy and he knows him, it could get a little ugly.

• As the guru says. It's a dangerous field to navigate, and can easily be avoided by not being friends.

• I was more hurt by the break up he still wants to be friends, I doubt he would even care if I talked about new guys. While him and I were dating he would talk about his ex a lot. So yeah

• I'd suggest you take a pass.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course its gonna hurt but its possible I'm friends with my ex.

What Guys Said 2

• When being friends with your ex, you have to remember that they are going to start dating other people, and so are you. This is going to be extremely difficult to listen to, so I highly suggest that if you really want to be friends, don't talk about your relationship with each other or people you are interested in.

• Girls always want to be friends after a break up and guys almost never want to be, so it depends I guess.

Even if a guy does wan to, there is a good chance it is because he thinks something can happen again...

• He still wants to be friends.

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe in the future. But you're not ready right now, not if it hurts you