For the artists/musicians/dancers?

This is for all you creative types out there:

Would you rather be with someone in the arts as well (I'm a painter but I mean "arts" as in anything that is creative or expressive)? Do you feel like they "get you" more? Does it matter to you?

Thanks for appeasing my curiosity!

• My potential partner must be a creative type! Otherwise we won't understand one another.
  • I would seriously prefer a creative person, but I wouldn't necessarily cast someone aside just because they're not
  • It would be cool for them to be creative, but I would not call it a "necessity".
  • I really don't mind either way!
  • I'm an artist who'd actually rather not date another creative type!

Most Helpful Girl

• I will prefer a person who is either creative themselves or someone who has an interest in art (in which from it may be).

Simply because its such a huge part of my life that I need somebody who understands that and who will respect it.

I have been with men who wasn't even interested in art. I very quickly lost interest since they couldn't relate to me at all.

What Guys Said 8

• I write. There is a little high that follows writing something really well - a story, a paragraph, or "the perfect" sentence. It's something so simple, which can make me so happy. Yet, I can't share that with most people. Most girls I date don't get it; that’s a very lonely feeling. In between, I meet a girl that appreciates my enthusiasm for writing; this girl I like. She may not completely understand, but she gets a kick out of my glee. She can at least share those the moments with me. I believe this true for all artists.

You may not find a partner that gets your work the way you do. You will find the partner who will appreciate the passion you have for your work and share your moments of joy. As I write this, I question. Would I really want a partner who really “gets” my work? I have my writer friends, but I sure as hell wouldn’t date any of them. Maybe, it’s good to have a little separation between work and the relationship?

• Interesting question! I write and play music, but I've never seriously dated another musician. Some of my ex-gfs were involved in visual arts, writing, theater, or film, but not all of them. I don't have any kind of rule about it. (I voted C, btw.)

Of course, I also have a very broad idea of "creative person." An engineer, carpenter, or graphic designer could still have ideas as creative and interesting as a choreographer or painter, in my opinion. My current girlfriend isn't active in any of the arts, but she does work as a teacher and I think her lesson plans are more creative than the work of most of the guitarists and singer/songwriters I know ;)

• I voted B because I spent quite a fair bit of time painting and practicing my music instruments (violin and piano) and I would prefer if she is into art/music. This way she can understand why I spend so much time on it and will be able to integrate into activities I like to do (i.e. visit museum and attending concerts).

• Forgot to add, I wouldn't mind if she is a dancer even though I can't dance well. So ideally yes, someone into arts and music would be really nice.

• I didn't vote but I had found from my experience, and this is not a lie, that one of my biggest turn ons in a girl is her ability to perform artistically. I don't know if creativity is really important for me, I usually admire that in guys since I'm a guy and I like to compete, but when it comes to girls performing arts like a pro (ex. like playing an instrument or painting a portrait) then I just get attached to that girl, is like her "quality" rises.

• I voted C. Awesome if she's creative too, but also cool if she's not, because I get to "impress" her with my special talents, if I can call them that. : P

• Ahah! Cute! That's a new way to look at it!

• Haha, thanks. Hope I can find a girl that actually WILL be impressed and want to be with me. : )

• It isn't a necessity, but it is a big plus. I've had a couple of my written works published when I was a bit younger through young poets things in school, and I've been told I should look into getting some more recent stuff published too. I feel as though my (I don't call it this but others have) talent would be completely lost on some. But I've other qualities for one to appreciate, so they need not appreciate that particular thing.

• I vote B. If you're artistic, then an artistic girl will probably appreciate you and your talents more.

• Sure.

Good Luck.

- Harvey D

What Girls Said 4

• I'm a musician and a writer. Most of the time I just like listening to music instead, though, because my skills have been put on hold for a few reasons. If I could date a musician, that would be amazing. But if I met a guy I clicked with who wasn't a musician, but still liked the kind of music I listen to, that would work. I just want someone to appreciate me and have something in common with me, even if it's just music we like to listen to. I will admit, though, that most of the guys I've fallen for in my life HAVE indeed been musicians.

• I've fallen for a lot of musicians too! They're so alluring...!

• I like to write poetry, and I don't share it very often, because I don't necessarily know how people will react to it, and I wouldn't want to be ridiculed. So I think that I would want someone who, even if they didn't understand it, appreciated it? I have a lot of artists as friends, and they all say that they can't date someone who doesn't at least respect there work and passion. They prefer people who can understand it or relate to it, but people who can understand and relate to your art may or may not actually also be in the "arts". I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near talented enough to be 'in the arts" but I love them.

• Having respect for the work and the passion is amazing. That's so true!

• im a musician, I'd love for my potential partner to also be involved in music in some way, it would be something we'd have in common and we could enjoy together.

• I think that it would be nice, but it really doesn't make that much of a difference either way.