Should I tell my boyfriend that I used to cut?

I'm not cutting anymore so I'm not sure if it's really that important but tell me if you guys would want to know if your girlfriend was doing the same.

5

Most Helpful Guy

• This comes down to two really important things. The first, how long have you known this person? Did you guys know each other before dating, and how long have you dated? Second, how much do you trust this person? When you tell someone that you've been cutting, it can come off as really negative, as most people really just want help, the wonderful media has made it almost like a disease. I've worked in a psych hospital for several years now. My focus is suicidal teenagers, so I've met my fair share of people who've cut themselves for almost every reason you could imagine. Why you were cutting isn't important, it's that you are not doing it anymore and you're doing your best to stay away from those actions again. And that is your focus when you eventually tell him. Because you will need to tell him eventually, better it comes from you than someone else by mistake. So make sure you take your time in letting him know and when you do, re-enforce your assurances that those days are long gone. You'll be fine, just make sure you're very comfortable with him and he is with you too.

What Guys Said 4

• This is a pretty big thing. If you want to be with your boyfriend, it means you have to trust him and he has to trust you. But how can you trust one another if you can't reveal important information like this? So tell him.

• yes. or, he'll find out from someone else later on.

• Tell him if he loves you he'll love you the way you are:)

• Most guys won't mind; different story if you still were as it'd make them feel bad for not being able to help you. That said, it isn't to much of a big deal for you yet, you're young so you can afford to wait a bit. I used to be suicidal and once had to be cut down from a noose half dead. I'd suffered from depression for a long time, and had a crippling addiction to painkillers. I couldn't sleep, barely ate, you get the picture. Then, I met this girl, and things didn't change. Later we started dating and managed to get my head straight, even so I waited two years to tell her about it and you know what? She understood and didn't make a big deal out of it and didn't tiptoe around me either. So don't be afraid to wait, but don't worry about saying it either. I mean, I told her, and now I can even laugh about it. I'm posting this anonymously for obvious reason but kid, do not worry when it comes to it.