Would you date someone who makes minimum wage?

Would you date someone who makes minumum wage? Not as a teen or college student but say you were in your late 20's or older and you're thinking of getting married.

Would you be happy being with a minimum wage spouse? Especially if they didn't have a degree or any type of qualifications?

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally I don't think I would manage it because while it would be fine casually, in a serious relationship I don't think I can date someone who doesn't live on their own. So being that I don't know of any people living on their own on minimum wage I don't think I could do it.

You will find plenty of guys who have no problem with dating a girl who lives with her parents but what I found out right away when I moved into my own place was that it became a huge deal to the first girl I tried to date. Well, in my experience, it became a problem because she didn't want to stay at her own place meaning.. that leaves my place.

I felt like she was mooching after a while. She had no car, her paycheck went to her parents, I had to pay the gas, I had to do the driving. Plus the people who don't live on their own don't have the maturity. They don't know what it's like to have finances. They think paying for a cell phone makes them "independent." It's way different.

What you'll typically find is that most couples typically relate to each other the best when they make the same income. They understand each other better because they live with similar incomes meaning they save/spend similarly. They'll typically have the same stuff. They'll have the same size house/apartment and such.

The girls usually try to date a step or more upwards in proportion to their own income. This is one reason (among many) that most career women struggle to date. If they're hypergamous like most women their "options" get smaller and smaller the more money they make. Their dates are never "successful" enough because they consider the success relative to their income.

So overall I'd not likely date her seriously if she made minimum wage unless it was temporary and she had something else lined up. Just the comments alone for some people would be enough. I know one guy who had a mooch of a girl and he was getting called out on it being for the sex.

Most Helpful Girl

• minimum wage maybe ( time turns and you can't take someone just because they are rich, you can go broke in a day and you can grow rich in a day.. that is time, if that person is ambitious you have to believe in them and do it).. but no degree never ( I call a degree the weapon into any industry).. When you think about marriage you can't be selfish you have to think 5-10 years down the road.. you have to think that someday you might have kids.. don' ruin your kids life coz you took a choice based on your heart... they deserve a good education and a good home..

What Guys Said 30

• Not everyone is meant to be super rich or in a perfect profession like a doctor or dentist. Money is merely a material thing that we can't take with us after we leave this life. It is the quality of the human heart that matters. Finding someone who has ambition and integrity is important, but that doesn't have to be applied to their job. I'm changing jobs from working in a hospital to being a teacher. The pay cut is going to be very noticeable, but my passion is to teach. A good job is important, but not my top requirement.

• Yes, actually. I'm currently going to school right now and trying to get the best degree that I possibly can so that my future wife, should I ever be blessed with one, won't have to work. If she wanted to get a job at BK just for something to do, she could and I'd be fine with it. I'd just like to make sure that she has the option to work. Honestly, I generally find the "career-less" type women more attractive to me, honestly. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and find stay-at-home wives really attractive. If she wanted to do something to keep herself occupied, I'd be fine with that. But I'd like to get a good enough job that she doesn't have to work and would only have to do so if she wanted to. I'd like to give her that option so that if she really just doesn't want to have to work, she doesn't have to.

• Ah money, the end all object in the United States. It's all about money, that's the bottom line. So many people are so materialistically driven in Western countries it astounds me. They care about what clothes you wear, what kind of car you drive, how big your pocket book is, all these items are status symbols. But can you take any of these items with you into the afterlife? Yes, money is important but I don't see it as the end-all thing. We're too shallow and greedy of a society as it is. In the Soviet Union, where my family came from, in order to dare a beautiful woman you didn't need to have a fancy car, or some glamorous job, you just needed to be an educated, honorable, and interesting man. (and yes, I would date a woman who makes minimum wage)

• Yes, it's not a problem. When I date a girl I date her cause I like her personality not cause of the job she's working.

• Sure.
    I ain't no classist.

• Yes, I wouldn't mind, but it depends on the reason
    If they're happy woth their job, I wouldn't mind, but if they're unhappy but too lazy and lacking ambition to find another job, I wouldn't.

• No I wouldn't, but it's got nothing to do with the money. If she can't get past minimum wage at the age she'd have to be for me to date her, she's got limitations in either intelligence or motivation or both that would make her impossible to be around. I mean, even a shift supervisor at McDonald's makes above minimum wage, and that's a pretty low bar.

Minimum wage is fine when you're young or a student, but you're supposed to be able to move past it as an adult.

• Yes. First off because Im that too.

• Depends on their life stage. If she's in her 20s and just using the job until something better comes along then sure. I'm in that boat now. However, if she's not planning on advancing or she's out of her 20s then I'd date her but not seriously.

• Hey great question;) you are still dating and thinking of getting married. Which means you both are practical to understand the budgetary part when in courtship. That itself solves the problem, but I would still suggest to analyze each other's habit of spending together and on self. Let me know if you need support in taking this relation further

• I think that only women would say no to this. Gender equality YEA!

• I was thinking that also lol whether they admit it or not.

• No I would not. It is not hard at all to make well above min at any job...

• They just need to be independent but that probably means no.

• Better than not having a job...

• What if they had a Master's Degree but made that temporarily?

• Money has nothing to do with love...

• yes if I loved the person why not

• I'm a proud member of the working class. I'd be way more comfortable in that situation than dating some rich asshole.

• well this is a good question but im not sure.. you get me fam?

• Why would that matter when you are really in love with someone money shouldn't be a factor.

• Because money, not love pays the bills. Minimum wage jobs shoukd be held by students and retired people looking for extra income to supplement their retierment

• "There's no excuse not being able to go to college unless you learn a trade or enlist in the military."

lol are you aware of how much college cost? someone who is living on their own, with a low paying job, who can't get a loan or funding for college would have a hard time going and affording it.

• Thank you @girlslie, sometimes money isn't the excuse

• if people only date others on what the make finacialy I think thats pretty crap tbh :-(

• In the current economic climate I'd be impressed if they have a job.

• my self it is OK. i will marry them :-)

• Personally I wouldn't be seing any issues to date a stunning girl on minimum wage.

• i'm not a woman, of course i would.. .

• I dont know if the women are lying or are just deluding themselves on their opinions as women always drop their panties at the smell of money. Personally this is the modern age an age of feminism and equality so I wouldn't date a low earning women who is going to be a financial dead weight. I would definitely have a sexual relationship with a minimum wage earner and have done in the past but marriage etc is off the table as I want someone of equal status career wise, financially and prospects.

• Depends on the circumstance. If she is a total dumbass then no, I would not.

• As long as she was my kind of woman, I wouldn't care.

• Yeah income shouldn't be a deal breaker

• Well Peg and Al got along for 10 years. He works a minimum wage and she didn't work at all. How they made it work, I have no idea

What Girls Said 18

• My partner is a bartender and we've been together for about 4.5 years.

He does have a degree, but with this sort of economy it's been difficult for him to find a position in his field. He likes bar tending for now, and I honestly don't care. If we can afford a small place to live and food, I'm happy :)

• Only if he were good at budgeting , planning and saving.

Sometimes having a great profession doesn't matter especially when the person isn't good with handling their own finances.
    I look at that more than i would the actual income they make or the job.

• Well I never want children so I wouldn't have to financially support or plan for that. So as far as just marrying/dating someone who makes minimum wage then I definitely would. Jobs are so unimportant to me and as long as someone works, it doesn't matter how much they make to me. They may just genuinely enjoy their low paying job and that's perfectly fine with me.

• For me personally, it would be okay for a little while, but I would want them to try and at least work towards making a better wage and finding a passion or ambition before I would consider marriage.

• A lot of people get paid minimum wage in their twenties because the economy is kind of shitty. I would be ok dating them now since i don't want nothing serious but marrying is a no no

• No I would not. I'd like to build my life with someone who is able to contribute financially to our household and shared lives without me either having to pay far more or having to downgrade my lifestyle (which really is not extravagant).

• If he has a degree but works at McDonald's and doesn't have any desire to do more in his life, heck no. If he has a fairly good job and has a good life set up then I don't see why not.

• It is better than unemployed... I think I would only be okay with it being temporary though

• i don't think there's a correlation between money n love

• it's better to date with a partner who not much difference compare to you - his job, his background and even his salary. that's the best way for long lasting marriage

• It's fine but I'd prefer someone with a college degree and was looking for a better job.

• I would only date someone that makes maximum wage.

• Depends if they are attempting to move up in the world

• Yes I would, I don't mind.

• No. I would not

• Depends. If he's making that because he works a McDonald's job with no further ambitions, hell no. If this is just him getting on his feet, sure.

• I only date rich men

• No I would not date someone who didn't have at least 1 degree. I have a degree myself, so it's only natural that he also has one.