Does it matter if people don't like fat people?

does it matter if it's politically correct and we don't like fat people as dates? does this mean we have to like everybody equally sexually? i'm a psychologist, and i've had patients say that they feel down for being fat and turned down... well why? i never say this to their face, but then they need to stop being a bit entitled, and find another avenue in life than dating. or not be so easily swayed by what popular culture says is good. some people are invariably seen as more attractive than others...

Most Helpful Girl

• All of us are attracted to different personalities, physical characteristics and body types. Just because one person doesn't like dating someone with extra weight doen't mean all of us do. They need to put themselves out there to people who like people with extra weight. That's why they have BBW and BBM dating sites. They need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and actually take back control of their life. Society does have it's standard of beauty, do I think it's right that we all have to squeeze into the same box? No. But weight issues lead to health issues which then lead to financial issues because everyone else has to pick up the tab. I used to be overweight and I got my shit together.

Most Helpful Guy

• You and I would get along quite well. I work in a psych hospital and work with patients in their teens. This is a constant discussion for self image and I've addressed it so many times. First, the media and social medias are trying to make people feel mixed on the topic. 'It's alright to be fat, embrace and love yourself.' or 'If you're fat you're not being healthy, trying to get people to accept fat people isn't healthy.' I'm certain you've seen both thrown around. The truth is, being overweight is really unhealthy and it is difficult for some people to overcome. But this does not condemn them to be alone or make them feel worse about themselves. I've always made the point of meeting girls in the gym who are bigger. Why? Because they're doing something about it. They weren't born with fast metabolism so gaining weight, especially in women, is easier. So I see these girls at the gym, trying to work off the weight, and be healthier. I know that there is a tiny percentage of the population that really has to have medical help in losing weight, but the rest need to make the choice. Am I alright being overweight with this unhealthy lifestyle or do I want to change and be healthier? To me, it's the attitude behind it, not so much the looks. Looks will fade one day and the only thing left in the person you really love is their personality. This includes their positive drive to better themselves. So if someone is overweight, there will be other people who will be fine with this lifestyle and I wish them all the best. I want someone who can share the same lifestyle with me, and if she is a little bigger but is willing to keep a positive attitude and work on being healthy and happy, then yeah that I found someone like that. Mind over matter.

What Girls Said 4

• My opinion... It's okay that not everyone is attracted to fat people. It's not okay to talk down to someone for being fat, to shame them or insult them for it. I feel like a lot of people don't make the distinction there, haha.

• there's nothing wrong in bullying.

• Nothing wrong with bullying? We have very different morals, apparently.

• Uh-huh. Where did you get your psych degree from?
    Of course it matters to fat people that they are less popular, and of course there are still people who will love them, and surely someone with training in human psychology knows better than to suggest that the appropriate response to having a hard time with dating is to give up on relationships altogether.

• actually it is. many of my peers would agree.
      you know, accepting defeat is part of healthy psychology.

• No, you can be (or not be) attracted to whomever you'd like, and people who don't meet that, well that's just too bad. However, you have no right to make people feel bad, or letting them know they aren't as beautiful, just because they don't meet your personal preferences!

(Note: You obviously just refers to everyone in general)

• No it doesn't matter you can't make people like something if they don't like it

What Guys Said 0