Would you date someone with a disease?

I was diagnosed three months ago with Muscular Dystrophy. It's a progressive muscle wasting disease that eventually will put me in a wheelchair. Already I struggle with getting up from the floor, I can't run and I get tired very easily. I am only 23 years old and I feel like I won't find anyone. I feel as though no one will want to date someone that they know will just progressively become less and less independent.

I can't pass it on to anyone, if I ever have children it's highly unlikely that they would have MD, it's not fatal and I will still be "all there" mentally but I will struggle with using my arms and legs.

Would you date someone knowing this? I feel like I will be alone forever.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not going to say the usual bullshit that everything is going to be smiles and rainbows. It will definitely narrow down your options, but that doesn't mean that you should just give up! Find a man that will treat you as an equal, and not drown you in pity. And if worse comes to worse accept that being single is not a terrible thing like people think it is. You're not alone if you have friends and family. I don't pity you because with the way I see it, people shouldn't be looked down upon with pity for having a health problem, but instead I respect you for having the courage to face your problems and be honest with yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would consider dating someone like this if I were with them before he were diagnosed. (That way I probably have feelings for him and it wouldn't be easy for me to walk away).
    I'd love him.
    I'd care for him.
    We'd pretty much be in this together.
    However,
    I wouldn't seek someone out with a disease like this.
    I wouldn't want to extremely alter my life by taking on a responsibility I do not have to.
    We are talking about a life change here...
    That's huge!

I know a lot of people here will answer, "Yes".
    But realistically, you can base whether that is true or not off of your own experience.

I don't like to sugar coat,
    The reality of it is you are up for a challenge in the dating world.
    But to a point we all are.

You do not have to disclose your illness to people right away (unless it becomes very apparent).
    You will meet someone that will see past this and care for you.

What Guys Said 6

• I feel so sorry for you!

Anyway, I would definitely date someone with a disease. A disease doesn't define a person, and it usually doesn't change the way you look. It would be a bit of a challenge but I could do it! There may be some severe diseases which I couldn't deal with but Duchenne's Muscular Dystropy isn't one of them. I would date a girl in your situation.

Don't lose hope! Be confident and try to find a guy. I know most guys tend to be shallow idiots but not all of them.

• Honest answer is I'm sure some people will be willing to look past this but it will definitely narrow your dating pool a bit.

Personally I wouldn't but I'm not exactly a nice or caring person so you probably wouldn't want to date me anyways.

• Personality makes a person so much more attractive, sometimes I would even take a liking to a person I wouldn't normally fall to

Stay bright

• I feel sorry for you :(

and yes I would date girls if they had that. You might want to watch the movie about stephen hawking. He had it and the girl knew, she stayed with him, got married and had kids.

• Yes, I would date a girl like that.

• All I need is love ❤ and if she loves me
    Then she's my queen 👑 idc about anything else

What Girls Said 10

• If they won't date you because of that, they aren't someone you'd want to spend the rest of your life with anyway. I have stood by my man through sux surgeries and tons of health issues, and I know he would do the same for me. There is a match out there for you. There are plenty of men in the world who are as strong as others are shallow. :)

• I would totally date someone with your condition. Just because you are being weakened physically, doesn't mean I wouldn't like you. It is all about personality sweetie, you will find someone. It might not be easy, but you will find someone.

• I have a disease that's known for causing infertility and is very hard to control. There's no way to cure it. My boyfriend knows that and he helps me through it. We both worry about everything but knowing that he cares enough to help me fight is enough to make me feel better. If you can find someone like him, I have no doubt that you will be happy. Someone like him is exactly what you need. Even just a close friend to pick you up and help you feel good.

• I wouldn't seek out someone with a tragic illness, but if I met someone I otherwise liked who had muscular dystrophy, I wouldn't lose interest in him because of that.
    Have you considered guys at a support group for other MD patients? They will understand things about what you're going through that even your closest friends won't, and they're less likely to reject you for not being healthy.

• i would date someone with a disease like that, the only kind of disease i would rule someone out with would be something contagious

• I wouldn't date someone with a communicable disease. I don't know about a progressive one like MD.

• I would. Especially if ik them b4 they had it :/

• I would. There are plenty of people who see past that (and its not even your fault!)

• Someone will come along

• As long as you are treated with love, no one would mind it.