Guys, What does "let a man be a man mean"?

I am new to dating and my mom said this and I have no idea what it means 😓
Please explain.

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably some gender roles nonsense.

"He wants to pay so let him, he likes it" that kind of thing and other tripe.

Things have been changing for a while now, I think the modern dating paradigm is still up in the air. If it can be said to have settled into a pattern, it's unlikely to be the paradigm your mother understands, and this is assuming that her way was perfect in her day, which I would be inclined to doubt.

No offence to your mum, but honestly, don't listen to her. In this day and age you're better off feeling your way through it using your modern attitudes and values than listening to your mum. Tell her to trust you to figure it out yourself and trust yourself to be able to do that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I hope she meant it in the traditional sense "let a man be a gentleman"
    Obviously we live in a modern world and dating has changed considerably, but in my opinion manners and chivalry is still something to hope for.

Contrary to what some people think, it is possible to have a mix between traditional courtship and modern, equal interaction.
    For instance, I do still expect my man to open doors and move chairs for me, but I also expect to (and want to) pay my half of the bill.

I can set up a whole entertainment system at home (speakers, Receiver, cables, pre amps, TV etc.) but I do want to feel protected by my man if someone is being rude to me.

I hope this makes some sense, I'm struggling to put my thoughts into words this morning :-D

What Guys Said 7

• Well , ask yourself.
    What is... a man?
    What defines manliness?

• That could be very subjective, depending on culture, upbringing or learned attitudes... it would really depend on the context in which she said that statement...

• Don't try to mold us into your play thing, don't try to stop us from looking at other women. Don't stop us from spending time with our buddies.

• Well if he is a man it's not really up to you to 'let' him do anything. If my woman tried to stop me doing something I wanted to do by any means but reasoned argument I'd be out the door.

• don't make men your bitches?

• That's a lot of help😧, if he wants to act like a bitch then I can't stop him from that.

• Boys will be boys.

"Certain occurrences and behavior is expected when it comes to men and boys, somewhat inevitable. So say its in a man's nature to act the way he does."

Basically:
    " 'llow it, no long ting!

• "Let me be mean because I'm a man"

What Girls Said 2

• It means let men be tough... Which I find pretty sexist

• Let him be chivalrous towards you, meaning allow him to open your door & pick up the bill. Also, allow him to watch the game in peace, don't expect him to be able to read your brain, and don't nag him.

Lol! That's My Take on It :)

• don't expect him to be able to read your brain.
      I learned that really quickly😅

• Hmmm I can read women's brains really well most of the time. Don't know why but it is not hard for me. :)

• Actually I know what women are thinking too well often.