Should a depressed person have kids?

If someone has had long term depression on and off for most of their life where most days they can function but some days can't get out of bed or look after them self - should they avoid having children?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, i see a lot of people worse than you having lots of kids. This one women has 3 different kids from different dads. I've seen others who are piss poor having kids. I feel sorry for you for having depression but i dont see how that should stop you from having kids if thats what you really want. Just remeber, its really hard takong care of kids. You have to sacrifice a lot for them. If your ready for all that then i wish you all the luck and i hope you get better. 😀

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I am depressed AF and I want (maybe, but probably will have) kids some day... if I am still alive by the time I would want them. Yeah, still not sure if I will be. Now being depressed is one thing, but it's your determination to push through your depression that will make you suitable to be a parent. I'm bipolar and my depressive mood swings are really bad. I'm taking meds, but they aren't the best help right now. I know that as I grow older I will be able to control myself better so it might not be as bad. There are plenty of depressed people that have children. Yeah, some may not turn out fine, but that is not always the case.

What Guys Said 1

• I would avoid it personally. Depression can be dealt with properly but only have kids if you are strong enough.

What Girls Said 2

• a depressed person isn't ready to have kids. they shouldn't avoid it. they should try to work on their own happiness and then reach a stable place where they can have children.

• No woman should be afraid to have children because of how it might change her for the worse.