Would you date someone who was/is incarcerated?

If you found out that your partner had been to jail, would you continue your relationship with them? If your partner were convicted of a crime, would you stay with them? Discuss.

• Yes - it doesn't change how I see them
  • No - I could never be with a criminal
  • Unsure - it depends on the charge

Most Helpful Guy

• Yaaaa... once you shoot your third husband, they should stop issueing marriage licenses...

• Third? 😨😵😖

• She's not very smart if she kills them all by gun. Gotta make it look like an accident man. Dumb broads. They won't get the respected black widow status this way.

• You know... some girl on forensic files almost got away with murder by gun *twice*... And it was just dumb luck that they realized out she had "suffered" the exact same accidental shooting in another county...

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted "unsure." I have dated someone before after finding out he was incarcerated, but to me it was never going to become very serious anyway (I was moving soon, and couldn't see us together long-term) so I didn't see it as a deal breaker at the time. It was a drug charge and he did receive a felony for it, but it happened over 10 years ago. I think had I been thinking more seriously about our relationship then it might have affected things more, but he turned out to be a really great person to get to know. He's worked his butt off to turn things around, and currently works as a counselor for incarcerated juveniles. We're still friends.

If the charges were something different regarding maybe sexual assault, domestic violence, etc. I'm sure it would've affected my feelings more. Also, thinking long term, I'd have to consider what a felony would do to us as a couple. He has a harder time getting a job, he can't own a weapon, and I'm not sure what the laws are regarding traveling out of the country.

Bottom line: If it's love, it's love. Ideally I'd rather not. But I never say never. Some really awesome people have grown out of some really big mistakes.

What Guys Said 8

• If they had ben convicted of killing their spouse or aggravated child abuse, torturing animals, etc., that would be too much to handle. My last girlfriend had several DUIs, disorderly intoxication charges, and a few prostitution charges in her youth, but she had cleaned up her act and judged her on her current behavior and character. We broke up for unrelated reasons.

• It depends a lot on the crime.

Murder, rape, grand larceny, sex offender, and terrorist, for example, would be deal breakers.

If she got busted for pissing on the sidewalk when she was 21, drunk, and told the arresting officer to fetch her some bacon; it wouldn't really be much of an issue.

• I just want to say I personally would BeCause for me i am more understanding about why humans commit crimes it's like this if I committed a crime I would still want my girlfriend to love me just as dearly no matter how bad my crime was I mean we are all human everyone has angry thoughts and all that it wouldn't make sense for let's say if I knew a girl all my since since early childhood and we loved each other more than anyone else and this being the case for 30 years but all the sudden when they both turn 31 one of them commits a crime it wouldn't make sense to just dump him or her after all That bonding and love I don't like answering weather I have a girlfriend or not but that doesn't matter what matters is that well let's just say I had a tough childhood growing up and I was all alone and was confused all the time and one other question I have is why would someone commuting a crime be a reason to hate the person because I think everyone should be treated with respect in general no matter what they do but it's a long story where I come from and what I mean I'm just talkin from how I see and view life along with how I feel

• If she cheated on her tax report, sure I would date her. If she chopped her ex's penis in his sleep, hell no !

• It depends on what she did. If it was minor crimes such as stealing then I'd be fine but I'd probably make sure she doesn't get into any more trouble.

But for something like murder then I would not. I most likely wouldn't feel safe around her.

• Depends on the type of theft too. Petty theft is no big deal (most teenagers at least attempt it once or twice). But like property or jewel theft is another story.

• Yeah, I was mainly thinking of shoplifting.

• That is something gotta think over for long time

• I don't think I could be with an ax murderer though, lol

• It depends.

Was it serious or trivial?

Was it motivated by politics, hunger, revenge or just plain badness?

Did it happen in a state with a judiciary which I (since it's my opinion you seek) respect?

What Girls Said 5

• I'd like to say no to this. However after I was married my husband told me he was. What can you do about it at that point other than be pissed off?
    I voted no because if I knew about it I wouldn't.

• It depends on what they did and why they did it, but odds are I was with him in the first place for a reason and I would stay with him as long as he doesn't cross any future lines and starts working towards self improvement right away

• I voted c.
    Going on current partner I would know he was trying to improve his life, get on track etc. But it would depend on the crime.
    Stealing, manslaughter, drink driving etc all fine. Something like paedophillia I couldn't forgive. I want children one day and I want to know I can trust them with their dad. And if I can't and my kids say "mummy why can't we stay over at daddy's" I can't really say "because he will rape you senseless".

So yeah. C.

• Manslaughter is forgivable? Interesting.

• Manslaughter is killing someone without the intent of killing them.
      You could be play fighting and push someone down the stairs. You killed them but it wasn't on purpose. You had an accident in a car - maybe you lost control of the car or you didn't see them and they were speeding; again not your intention to kill. Murder isn't forgivable (except in the case of my mother), manslaughter is

• I did once. I wouldn't again.

• Care to elaborate on any details?

• Glad you're safe.

• Thanks :)

• My mother and I have talked about this and she disagrees with me , but I would and I have.