Do you think "babe, baby, honey, darling" are patronising?

My girlfriend finds it very patronising when I called her "babe, honey, darling". She hates when I call her it. I really don't see the problem. What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• Individuals vary in terms of what they like. If your girlfriend doesn't like being called those things, you should respect that.

Me personally, I don't mind being called any of those by my boyfriend, but hate when anyone else uses those names for me.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think she's a bit stuckup.

What Girls Said 7

• Not at all.

• my mom says that stuff to servers in restaurants and all kinds of people. LOL.

I think it's a southern lady thing.

• Darling is the most patronizing pet name ever and that is why I use it so often.

• I actually get annoyed by it too when it's done a lot. I prefer to be called by my name.

• Not really. I refer to everyone as honey.

• i like baby but no others me and my boyfriend have other things we call each other as pet names

• Actually, I do.

What Guys Said 2

• It really depends on the context but they can definitely come across as patronizing.

Its usually bitchy girls who use those words in patronizing context.

• Sometimes it is, other times it's just common and low class, or the other way and stupidly upper crust particularly with darling.