Guys, Have you ever dated a girl with bipolar? How did you handle it? What's your understanding of the disorder?

I have bipolar disorder and it has been extremely detrimental to my love life. I'm starting to feel unlovable. I'm just curious about your experiences and opinions.

I have bipolar II and have never suffered a manic episode. Instead my mind goes to the worst place possible at all times, I'm constantly sad and worried about being left.

8

Most Helpful Guy

• I dated a girl with Borderline & Depression.. As far as I know Borderline is a step up from Bi Polar ( I may be wrong , you can correct me) .. I'm not gonna sugar coat it, very hard too communicate with, never knew what she wanted, always confused about feelings, me being 10 ft away- was too close but at the same time too far.. So emotionally there was never really a comfortable distance.. If I pushed she ran , If I sat back she thought I no longer cared, if I looked like I was moving on I was a jack ass for not waiting for her to sort herself out... She was not/ is not on meds. I personally had a hard time dealing with it, I honestly tried my best but at the same time, the only way to make it work was essentially allowing her to yo - yo me , just popping in and out of her life when she felt "okay"

• I'm sorry to hear that. I'm the exact opposite, I need to be constantly reassured and showered with affection. As I wish I wasn't that way, it's how I ended up. I'm on meds though.

What Guys Said 7

• I have a lot of experience w that. to start with, let by gones be just that, try to trust, and be more confident, I really cared for a girl w bi polar, and it was always something, and most of the time I had not done anything. and she was giving out her number and chatting w other guys, having singles parties w out inviting me, she really did have issues, but at the same time was smart, acted a lot like her loser parents, so it was her choice..

• She sounds manic, I'm the opposite. Thank you for sharing.

• I've dated 2 other girls with similar illnesses and I got Bipolar the thing is can it's a touch and go situation to date someone with a mental illness.. I was always taught that when
    i went to this partial program just be careful dating someone else with similar illnesses
    cause it''s touch and go situation if it will work out..

• I am and it's doing great at the moment. She has medicines she takes that combat the disorder and get rid of it almost entirely. There are times she forgets to take them, or she doesn't have access to them, but it's fine. I just remember that it's all a mental thing, and that she can't help it.
    I love her very much, and no disorder will change that

• That makes me smile. I'm glad she found someone who can handle it.

• I never have, but I wouldn't turn a girl down for that.

• Also, I could probably deal with and support her with the depression part but I have no clue what I would do with the manic part.

• I'm bipolar 2 and have yet to suffer from a manic episode.

• I've had 3 exes with bipolar and they were the worst relationships I've ever had. Self indulged, impulsive always cheating and lashing out on me for no reason. I know this is hard on yout oo but the person with you willbe left drained and with crushed self esteem.

• I'm the opposite, super clingy constantly needing to be reassured. Extremely low self esteem. I'm sorry that happened to you though. I know it's draining but they wouldn't have crushed self esteem as I'm extremely insecure. i could never do that to someone.

• Thats how they were on the low period then the mania sets in and they become self indulgent and crazy. Bipolar is A deal breaker for me the moment I find that a girl Im dating is bipolar Im running the other way

• I have dated a bipolar girl. It was more than I could take.

• Can i help u, maybe i can help.