Do you remember everything your significant other tells you?

I just started dating this girl, she's great but she's pretty darn chatty. I care about her and what she has to say, but honestly I feel like a lot of it goes in one ear and out the other.
I don't mean to be forgetful or whatever, but I just can't help it! In general I can be fairly forgetful with what people tell me (I do better with written words and numbers and stuff),

I feel like this will eventually be a pretty unfortunate part of our relationship. Is this normal? Anything I can do to help?

Ok, to the girls answering, I'm getting the feeling you don't have this problem. But do you have the opposite? Does he forget things you tell him?

Most Helpful Girl

• yesss. I remember everything he tells me. Kind of creepy almost in some instances.. just the other day I was talking about how the school we were driving by reminded me of the day we left for the island together where we spent the night in my brother's empty apartment. He said why do I have such a connection, what would make me link this random school and our trip to the island?
    I said because he picked me up from the school before we left. I remember waiting for the ferry to the island because that was when he freaked out that he saw his exes mother..

So yeah, I remember everything. Him, not so much. Sometimes he'll surprise me, but I'm cool with him not remembering everything. Everyday things he tells me, I'm guilty of tuning out pretty quickly. Just explain to your girl that she'll have to slow down cause you can't keep up and she should be cool with it.

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend has a mind like a steel trap. She remembers everything. I on the other hand can barely keep track of anything. It inevitably leads to some moments where she is annoyed with me. No big deal. They adjust to it as long as you remember the right things.

Women just talk a lot about things guys really don't care about. It's enough to feign interest and interject with a question or statement every now and then that you know will draw her in.

I always envision my girlfriend as starting the day with a full cup, it's my job to empty the cup throughout the day. After a while you learn the things that are important and the things that are not. You just have to invest enough so that you have enough credit when you inevitably fuck up its not a big deal.

• i'm to opposite WHOOPS. sometimes i forget what my boyfriend says x. x

• I like that cup analogy, well said

• Agreed! Well said!

What Girls Said 24

• I can remember a lot but not everything.
    Regular chatting won't really stick in my memory, maybe just bits and pieces I thought were important.

My fiance forgets a bit more than I do. for instance he can never remember any plans I have that don't inlcude him. Like if I'm going to meet friends on day X and will be home later than usual, I have to tell him several times and then again on the day itselft a few times and even then I might get a worried text asking if I'm ok... it is very frustrating sometimes.
    He does remember our anniversary and birthdays and stuff and for the rest he makes notes.

you should tell her that you are forgetful. Like a warning. so if you do forget something someday she will not be surprised or disapointed. Tell her that you need reminders and if you do forget it should not be taken personally.

• Eh. With my husband it's like I'm talking to the wall 50% of the time. Sometimes it pisses me off. Sometimes it actually just hurts me. I mean come on what's the point of being with him when he's not interested in anything I have to say. I talk a lot too. =/
    But he does listen to the important things. When he talks I listen to it all. But sometimes I act like I didn't hear it all or something just because I want him to know what it feels like.
    I think it's normal to have a hard to paying attention constantly when someone just goes on and on but still don't make it ok or right. You could fix it. Just start caring about what she has to say no matter how insignificant. Ask her questions or you talk more. Maybe she's just trying to fill the silence. Talking is getting to know her. And if y'all just started dating that's real important. She also might still get nervous around you so talking a lot could be a side effect of that.

• We're pretty good about remembering what we say to each other. Sometimes he remembers something I told him that I don't, vise versa. And sometimes neither of us remember something. Knowing us, our memory of conversations is actually pretty surprising. I don't remember half of what I talk about with most other people. He's the same way.

As far as getting better about remembering what she says, get into the conversation more. That way you have more to remember the conversation by. Or even have something else going on like music or TV in the background or be at a special location. That way you'll have something to trigger the memory of her words.

Don't worry about it. It's normal as far as I'm concerned.

• He remembers trivial things, it is cool. Even if you don't hear all she says, try to pick up on a few things and respond to them in a couple of days.

• I remember pretty much everything he says, but his memory is shite.

I know it's not because he doesn't care, because he forgers his own crap and has notes all around the house to remind him.

I'm used to it. :p

• If she ever tells you she thinks you don't remember what she says, you can always say of course I can't remember every conversation verbatim but I understand how I feel when we talk and I like the feeling.

• Nah - I'm super forgetful... I remember the important stuff though.

My boyfriend on the other hand, somehow manages to remember freaking EVERYTHING, even though I talk 10 times more than he does...

• My boyfriend is really chatty! I sometimes have to tune out. Otherwise I would end up telling him to take some quiet time. ( which would be mean). So you tune out and go to your happy place! 😉

• I'm very forgetful too. If it seems really important to her when she tells you, write it down as soon as possible. She may get upset that you have forgotten somethings, but she should appreciate that you wrote down what you could.

• i have the same problem too...
    my boyfriend is not the one who talks much, but he's listening to all my mumbles, and remember every detail of it.
    But whenever he shares his problem or anything to me, it seems like it's too hard for me to remember everything, sometimes he even says that "hey! I've told you that earlier, don't you remember?"

;/ I wish I have his powerful memory

• I can't even remember the things that I say... So that's like impossible for me XD

• I almost always forget things my boyfriend tells me. It's not that I don't care about him, I just don't care about a lot of the stories he wants to tell me. Things about him personally I don't forget.

• I do remember a lot because I am more of a listener than a talker and I just have good memory in general.

• Yes. I have a very good memory.

• I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday so I doubt it. My memory sucks.

• not everything, no. i definitely forget things.

• I remember most, i dont have great 110% memory tho so i do forget some things -.- @MarkyyG123 hahaha

• Narh she's joking... she forgets everyyythibg which is both >:D and :( haha :")

• Me = a serial dater who DOES remember and value dates comments about me.

• yea i do... never forget

• Yea he forgets my work schedule which is annoying

• A guy-friend of me is exactly like that to everybody. It is not like he doesn't listens, but more like that he give his opinions to many things and ends up forgetting or getting confused because he has no idea about the subject anymore. Only more like:

Him to my cousin:"Stop bugging you sister."
    Cousin:"She (me) is my cousin, not sibling."
    Him:"Whatever."

... but then, he remembers names and other detailed stuff well. Pretty weird for me. I don't get dudes

• Lol, this was hilarious. Your situation is no different from whats the norm in most relationships.

Most couples on tv shows portray this exact same behavior:
    The chatty/nagging wife who always yells "Are you listening to me" & the husband rolling his eyes in the other room, saying "yeah hun I heard you" but he really doesn't know what she's talking about, he just wants her to leave him alone so he can watch the game.

• If the guy remembers the details means he cares, notices, and interested in my life. In opposite when he forgets, it could b understandable in some cases, but it shows my topics dont have the high priorities in his mind to keep them remembered.

Can you share your opinion on my question?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1641227-why-my-ex-boyfriend-suddenly-disappeared

• No. I remeber 90%

What Guys Said 14

• Talk to her and explain that this is a weakness that you have and it in no way reflects upon the feelings that you have for her. Ask her to send you emails with anything that she considers vitally important for you to be able to remember.

• Small details are easy to miss but when someone tell me a story , I listen ha.

• Yeahhhh, I remember every single detail haha, even if she calls it not important or by the way its important to me because it has to do with her and its stuck in my brain forever and thats just how it is haha

• I am definitely that. Way and i can soooo relate.

• I think that is normal. People eventually forget that they have talked about before and talk about it again. It happens.

• if you love each other ull have patience with not remembering everything and ull repeat things if each other needs to hear again eventually it will stick better

no one can or should remember everything even with great memory itt should not be a stressor

• Do you know you are not suppose to listen to everything women say?
    They just ramble sometimes. You are actually a good guy for listen, I'd tell them to stop talking and find a girlfriend to chat with.

• nope, I don't remember most, I remember the important things

• No
    I'm not a computer

• It's got to the point now where she doesn't expect me to remember things and is surprised when I do

• I don't have one

• mostly all the lies and backstabs, the good times were so rare i can't remember a thing

• She isn't that interesting.

• Nah. But my ex used to repeate stories whenever she fealt panicky so I rembered those. she didn't like that though. So sometimes not remembering things can be good. Humans forget stuff. Your girlfriend should be a partner not a textbook. Enjoy her presence and if you forget just say I'm sorry. (But on the other end always put in effort for the things you want)