Would you date an atheist?

And what would you do if you found out that your significant other was atheist?

Most Helpful Guy

• Would you date an atheist? Not knowingly

And what would you do if you found out that your significant other was atheist? I'd break up with her. Even though this is unlikely, because a person's religion is something i make sure to find out on the first date (if not before the first date).

Why? Because its too big of a difference to have a functioning relationship. Not to mention that i have yet to meet an atheist that doesn't look down on me because of my beliefs. And it'd hurt to know that I'm being looked down on by someone i love. Plus, I'm concerned with what happens after death. If my life partner was an atheist, I'd be pretty lonely in heaven after we die...

• But if you didn't find out before, that means it's no big deal no? I can get that you wouldn't want to have fights about it though. That's the reason I couldn't be with a religious person myself.

• @JuicyBrain
      I don't understand your first sentence, because i said that i never go out with someone without knowing their religion first, and if i do, then I'd make sure i find out on the first date. So yes, it is important to me.

But I'm less concerned with fighting, than i am with being seperated for eternity after death.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm an atheist, in a relationship with an atheist in a country full of atheist so yeah... I would

What Guys Said 52

• Hopefully my future girlfriend is an atheist, just like me.

• I'm in the opposite situation from Aizou--I'm an atheist who's romantically entangled with a theist. She goes to church, believes in God, and so on. Her faith matters a lot to her. It doesn't bother either of us, though, because we're respectful of each other's beliefs, are both thoughtful and intelligent people, and enjoy discussing differing viewpoints. If/when we get to be physically together (long-distance relationship, sigh), I'll almost certainly go to church with her; not because I believe what she and the other congregants do, but because it's important to her. Religion doesn't have anything to do with how we feel about each other, and in most cases I don't see why it should.

• thank you. I'm a Christian but I respect freedom of religion. You take a respectful stance towards other faiths but I find a growing number of atheists are taking a "antitheist" stance nowadays where they sneer at faith based organizations. I can't stand that.

• @sdistotallyme Indeed--it really sucks that Richard Dawkins has so much name recognition. He's brilliant and all, but he goes out of his way to disrespect other peoples' beliefs. Which doesn't help us respectful atheists be liked :P

• Yes , whatever someone else's believe is should not reflect on me providing they understand that I do like to pray and I believe in God

• Oh sure.
    Makes things less awkward and I won't have to self-censor lol

• I wouldn't only because I'm not an atheist. It's generally a wise decision to make sure there are similarities in your significant other and yourself because, even if you both agree to disagree, how are their kids going to take it (assuming they have kids, which is a pretty fair assumption). What would the kids be taught? This is true for most things that we believe that are really important to us. Politics, religion, things like that. Basically, the stuff that usually causes the most debate or disagreements.

• Teaching only one kind of perspective is the reason why people tend to be close-minded.

• Teaching more than one perspective is a great thing. Both parents disagreeing on the "correct" perspective or which should be taught first is a problem.
      And "close-minded" isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes when you've learned something, yourself, you pass your gained knowledge to the next generation. Not shoving it down their throats, but letting them know that, when they were "that age", they had X happen and Y was their solution and what they did to deal with it and how they arrived at that solution.

• I am irreligious. While I can respect the behavior of those who actually gain moral inspiration from their respective religions (as long as it doesn't promote things that just seem insane in a civilized society, like stoning women to death or cutting off the foreskin of unsuspecting male children, or if you get raped then obligates you to marry your rapist, etc.), I would never be able to truly understand how they are so devoted in their beliefs, and our views would never match. I am pretty sure I would not be able to make a compromise out of that. So yeah, preferably atheists and agnostics and irreligious people only.

• Oh hell no. I don't care if I offend anyone. I believe in the Lord and Savior. I haven't, I won't, and I will never date an Atheist. If you're an Atheist, then you don't believe in anything. I'm not sorry if I offend anyone because I am a big Christian and I love God. He has saved some of my friends from death.

• Of course I would. I'd actually prefer one since I am one myself. But I have no problems with people of faith so long as they don't attempt to convert me.

• I date only atheists.

• I am atheist and I highly doubt I could date a religion person. Our ideas would probably clash to much. I don't like that an invisible, disembodied man I have never even spoken too may have an influence in my life.

• Sorry that is not going to happen, I have gone down that whole different religion thing with my last girlfriend, will not be doing that again.

• I would.

My girlfriend is atheist, while I am not
    but I don't mind people believing what they want.

People are entitled to their opinion.

As long as they don't try to force-feed
    people with their own beliefs, it doesn't bother me.

• Yes, but what if at the same time, your beliefs have an impact on your life? What if you have kids and you want them baptised and she doesn't want to?

• @Frost_Byt3
      Why would I be?

If we're meant to be together, we will find
      eachother once more, in the next life.

Whether it be a special plant that one holds dear
      or even something vague, like a certain location. ^.^

• @Frost_Byt3

Let's say you are right about your religion. Then it's the same for everybody. Why would I magically end up somewhere else because my beliefs are different?

• Probably not since she would not be okay at all with my religion, even if it's only a somewhat important thing in my life.

• No, I wouldn't.

• I'd know their feelings about religion long before they became significant in my life.

• No, chances are we have different views of dating. I see dating as a means to get to know someone and hopefully marry them and have a family. Other people see it as just for fun.

• I am an atheist...

• I am also an atheist... but it wouldn't matter to me if my next girlfriend was or not.
    I try to respect all religions... if that's what 'floats their boat' then so be it.
    I'd just hope she didn't try to force her beliefs down my throat.

• Yeah I guess so only because I'm not that religious but I do have some faith but not the type to push it on anyone

• Hell yeah, will make any religious conversations much easier.

• I'm an atheist so yeah

• They'd have to seduce me with their womanly - or manly - wiles first.

• I have a gallon of baby oil with your name on it sweet cheeks ;)

How'd I do?

• Well, Since many atheists are not okay with religion, Then probably not. I guess it really depends on whether or not they are anti religion. If they are, Then no.

• Would you date an agnostic?

I'm an agnostic.

• No, I would not.

• Atheist to me means, a person who is neutral with what they put their faith into; meaning they don't follow a religion, nor do they hate religion. I would have no problem with her at all.

• what is wrong with dating an atheist, they don't belive in anything so you won't offend their religion.

• Oh heck yeah I would

• yes, I don't care what their religious views are as long as they don't try to force it on me

• Nope I won't srry

• More from Guys
    22

What Girls Said 32

• Absolutely. In fact, I'd prefer that they're atheist or at least non religious. I don't hate religious people, but I want my partner to share the same kind if views as me otherwise I don't see how it could work out. I always seem to get flak for stating this preference but I just don't want to date someone who has different values.

• Lol there's one guy down voting everyone who says they would date an atheist 😂

• As long as he isn't a jerk about my beliefs.

My neighbors are opposites in their beliefs and it works for them. He believes in God and is part of the Freemasons. She is an athiest. They respect each other's beliefs and feelings on the matter.

A fellow GAGer @Ozanne has stated that her husband believes in God, but she doesn't have the same beliefs. It works for them as well.

It's all about respect and consideration. You can love someone without believing everything they do.

• Id call it off im religious and i dont think it would work out lol.
    media1.giphy.com/media/KYPnZKeN8aiFW/giphy.gif

• Yeah, obviously, cause I'm non-religious as well.

• I wouldn't date someone who's religious, because I'm not. Unless they were suuuper relaxed about it and never attempted to convert me and religion really didn't impact their day to day life. Like if a dude just believed in God but left it at that, I could handle that.

• No, my religion is a major part of my life and my relationship with God is more important to me than any worldly relationship.
    I doubt I would ever get in a full blown relationship with an atheist because I would most likely discuss religion at some point during the first few dates.

• I'm an atheist and I'm dating an atheist, so obviously I don't really care :P

• It would be hypocritical if I wouldn't because I'm an atheist myself - because I am I think I would get along with another atheist best when it comes to mentality and religion

• Heck no. I would find out my significant other's religious views before becoming exclusive.

• My boyfriend is an Atheist and I'm a Christian. The first time he told me he didn't believe in God, I broke down in tears. It broke my heart. But, I can't change him, and I still love him. All I can do is pray to my God for the guidance and strength. If boyfriend hears Gods calling and decides to accept Him into his life? AMAZING. If not, then so be it. Who am I to judge? My dad is a little on edge with it, and my mother isn't necessarilIy the strongest believer, but they're both content and happy that I am in a good relationship. It's really just about preference. If you believe it's an issue, do not pursue. But if you really like/love this person, try not to let that be the breaking milestone in the relationship.

• I would not date an atheist. If I found out he were, I'd probably leave him.

• If he is an extreme fanatic about it and love to criticise and challenge religious people's stances... God bless this fool.

• Sure. I'm Agnostic so I would have no problems with dating an Atheist. To be honest, it would be easier.
    I would just ask him why he identifies himself as an Atheist.

• I'm an ethical humanist, meaning I basically try to do the kindest and most rational thing in the situation. But, i believe god is for real but which relgion is right? i dont know
    and i think all relgions are right somehow and wrong at same time meaning all relgions have good and bad points , world will be ok if we just follow the love and kindness
    i would date atheist why not? but only if he is kind and good hearted :)
    same as i could date a muslim if he is kind too :)
    we are all equal

• Please note that Islam mandates the genital mutilation of male children. Those that do keep to their faith easily disregard the needs and futures of others. Think before you act.

• I'd be totally fine with it, being an atheist myself.

• I don't believe in God per-say, so people would call me Atheist, I don't care if the guy/girl is religious or Atheist, I'd prefer Atheist because then I wouldn't have to go to church. I grew up in in Utah and not going to church is like a freaking sin in this town, so I kind of learned to dislike religious people because they bullies me and my sisters because we aren't Mormon. So I'd probably be happy if I found out my significant other was Atheist.

• Im a religious person. So we would probably not find many things in common so we would call it off.

• Yes. Go about life as per usual?

• Umm yeah since I'm not religious at all I would prefer that

• I am one so that shouldn't really be a problem.
    I'm not sure if I would date a very religious person. Not that I don't respect religious people but my beliefs are totally different so I'm not sure if that would work out.

• Yeah I would because I'm not really religious myself.

• yes i would much prefer to date an atheist because i am one myself and it would keep things simple.

• I prefer dating someone that is non-religious rather than religious because the guys I've dated have always tried to convert me. I find it to be annoying that they can't overlook my beliefs--or lack thereof.

• Well, im also an atheist, so it wouldn't bother me. Even if he was religious, id respect that :)

• No I would not its a sin

• Yeah, sure, whatever.

• The differences would be hard to ignore. I wouldn't

• As long as they don't try to impose their ideas and respect mine, it will be ok.

• Yes, I'm one as well.

• Sure. Would probably make things easier since I am too.

• More from Girls
    2