[Hypothetical question] Why does society expect men to pay? Why doesn't everyone go dutch?

Here's something I never understood.
If the woman has job and can pay for herself why should the man pay for her?
He didn't eat her food, or drink her wine.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't mind if i had to pay for the date (s). It's money. It shows that you're not afraid to lose some money i think. Maybe thats attractive.
    I'd always insist to pay, but if she does want to split the bill, then thats fine with me too.

• Thanks for MHO! :)

What Girls Said 6

• Because patriarchy. Lol no but really, a guy was always supposed to have he job and show he could provide, the girl had to sit and be arm candy and raise the kids and cook and clean.
    I always offer to pay. I think most girls nowadays do. Or at least go back and forth paying.

• I expect a girl to be my equal and not a be submissive or timid. That is just the biggest turn off for me, if a girl is dependent on a guy. The way I see it is if you have money spend it on yourself and don't be a leech.

• Meanwhile most anti-feminist where women, they argued against the right to vote because they did not want to be drafted into war, they did not want to wor 16 hours in the fields/factories, they did not want there lives to matter as much as a mans (basicly to not matter). 70% of women surveyed in england was against having the right to vote strictly because they didn't want to be drafted. Then women got the right to vote, yet they did not have to go to war, ie they had the privledge with out the subsequent responsibility. Considering that there are multiple laws that benefit only women, multiple systems/organizations that benefit only women (and frequently to the detriment of men) how can one claim "patriarchy"? When the titanic sunk 100 women died as opposed to the 1358 men, who died specificly because they where expected and conditioned to hold a womans life as more valuable then there own. That is not a society that gives power to men.

• @hellionthesage Glad we agree. However the reason women are given special status is because they bring life into this world. Less men are needed then women to create a new society since men will always produce sperm while women have a limited amount of eggs.

• No women unless their stupid expects it but i would be grateful and appreciate it if they did. Almost everyone likes chivalry

• Then why don't women pay for men?

• Don't know about you, but I hate chivalry. It's just another word for sexism.

• @Kirah
      Then I suppose I'm a little sexist 🙆🏼

• We spend money being eye candy and we make you look good so it's only right lol

• Well it's your choice to spend money on whatever you like but why should someone else spend theirs on you?

• Ugh, i hate cheap people. I have a job, my husband has money, he paid everything on the first date, after that we took turns. People who are in a relationship aren't friends, theyre lovers. Going dutch is just a turn off and for students, if i date a grown men, i expect him to treat me just like i treat him.

• It's not about being cheap it's about paying for a service that you do not use.
      It's like buying a gym membership for a random stranger.

• Im not a mom and i domt stay home. I HAVE A JOB! 🙈 i just like being traditional as in a way of treating my husband like a king, cleaning and being all wifey.

• Oh ok, then whatever makes you happy
      I thought you were a stay at home mom.

• Social expectations. I usually prefer to pay, because I earn relatively much. It's just wrong to expect the guy to pay all the time, it's incredibly sexist.

• Social norms that have been practiced for ages. I guess its something people just expect without particular reason, could be because in the early days women werent paid as much and couldnt afford their own meal lol?

What Guys Said 3

• Well for me being old fashioned I prefer to pay, but I have no problem doing dutch, if she wants, or if the meal is expensive. At the end of the day though, I do it because I prefer to, I could care less what society wants, if for some reason I ever feel like not paying, then I won't, regardless.

• Something in my relgion

• Its taught in our society as chivalry and yes my females friends treat me once im a while