Is it wrong up that I won't date a religious guy?

I'm an athiest and a super religious guy is my deal breaker.. I will be friends with them but when it comes to dating i just can't date a super religious guy who reads the bible and stuff (even if he's a liberal). I just can't.. is that wrong and judgemental?

I told this guy I'm not interested in anything more than friendship, he's VERY religious and I just wouldn't feel comfortable. We have lots in common when it comes to music and he seemed kinda pissed. I don't know I feel bad. Is this wrong? or should I just chill out?

Most Helpful Guy

• no, it isn't wrong. there is nothing wrong with not being religious or and looking for someone who is the same as you. if you did end up being with him, he would probably either leave you, or thinking less of you for not believing in god... or his version of god... or he would try to get you to convert or believe. plus a lot of religious people can be sort of messed up and a little crazy, but maybe that is just my opinion.

• yeah he's very sensitive and weird. like he relies on god cause he used to have depression.. lol so pathetic

• Lol, yeah I used to also get really depressed and sometimes still do, even if I prayed it would do anything lol so there's no point.

I prayed to God for video games and girls but that never happened lol, so no God

• Thanks for MHO!!

What Guys Said 29

• Nope.
    I wouldn't want to date a super religious gal either.
    Agnostic theist , yah maybe but quoting jesus every sentence like a Star Wars nerd , no please.

• Its not wrong in the moral sense, but perhaps not very wise. So would you not date someone who had diffrent beliefs then you? Because its honestly the same thing and is very unwise since you are rejecting a person who may veary well be compatible with you over a diffrence of opinoin (something you will have with every human being you meet). "He who looks for faultless friends, remains friendless."

• If they believe in religion, then they are not compatible.

• You have way too much time on your hands.

• No, it's you preference on who you want date and if you don't want date someone cause their religious and your atheist that is your preference

• I am exactly like you. It's just better for your would-be boyfriend too anyway. You guys would probably always be bickering...

• Not wrong at all. I'm agnostic and I wouldn't date someone whose super religious either.

• For once i read that someone is agnostic lol it's all atheist or religious but finally someone is agnostic like me xD

• @ConfusedShyGirl hmm it's not often I see other agnostics myself.

• Not wrong at all, you are making the right decision.

• No, it's not wrong in my opinion. That's something that someone can change about them self, so you have every right to have standards, especially in that area

• I am the same.. i won't date a religious girl too... seriously they are good women but i dont find them attractive...

• You have every right to live how you choose. And some people are not going to like it, but tough shit. It's not wrong or judgmental to feel this way, you are being honest with him and yourself and I think that is a good and honest thing.

• You shouldn't be so close-minded about it. Just because a person is religious doesn't mean they're gonna try and convert you or something. What's wrong with being with someone who thinks a little differently than you? I think you should give the guy a chance and see if you two are compatible.

• I understand that if I'm compatible with someone who's religious its silly if I don't give it a try. But this guy lives and breaths his religion. It's every part of what he does and thinks. That would just be weird and uncomfortable to date. Maybe be friends with him would be alright, but I couldn't see myself getting romantically involved with someone that needs religion to feel happy and thinks praying solves things.

• Also he's really fake and cheesy. He is a full on hipster Christian. Yuck. That's why I'm turned off and uninterested now.

• @Asker Oh well that makes sense too. If his religion oozes it's way into everything then not dating him seems like a solid decision. By the way you describe him I would avoid him like the plague too XD

• Not wrong at all. Most religious people feel the same way. Im atheist myself and i can date someone religious as ling as they dont try to change my views or cram that stuff in my face. Its so annoying

• Nope, its totally normal. Same thing as people having problems with tattoos, or people who talk to much, etc. It is just your personal preference, we all have them.

• Chill out, u can date him, but i do not think u will enjoy it.
    Because he thinks that touching your body or kissing you before marriage is a sin.

• I won't date a religious girl, and I don't feel bad about it.

• Nothing wrong with that at all.

• No its not im atheist to and i understand

• Nope I will call you smart

• You can choose to date whoever you want, as long as they are not underage who really cares. Maybe you like short guys over tall, green eyes over blue, white over Asian, rich over poor, smart over dumb, or date another girl. As long as they are not underage, who cares.

• chill out... gosh

• Religious sex is best sex. Do it.

• NOthing wrong with it.

• If you do however give him a chance tell him something like that you will walk out on him at the slightest attempt to try to convert you.

• Nope it's not or anything chill out everyone knows what he or she needs in someone it's ok it's like a relgious one don't want to date an atheist

• I'm not sure it's wrong. It's your choice whether you want to date such a person or not.

• Sure it's ok

I mean religion will come first to him and you'll be second so it makes sense

• Who you date is purely your decision.

• Not wrong at all.

If you're looking for a partner in life, someone whose views are antithetical to yours can't really be that, now can they?

Personally, really religious people creep me out a bit. I've had way too many of them tell me that I must have no morals because I don't believe in god. The fact that they'd apparently be engaging in all sorts of rape and pillage if not for the fear of being punished in the afterlife really kind of worries me.

• Exactly.. It's as if religion suddenly disappeared they'd go kill their neighbor. In fact most atheist I meet are the ones who care about all types of people and fight for equal rights. The Christians, not so much.

This guy refers to people who are in poverty "underdogs" and he likes to help the underdog. He basically talks down on them while also helping them out because God told him to. Huuuge turn off.

• A super religious guy, at least a Christian, Jew or Muslim wouldn't date in the first place so...
    But no, I'm somewhat religious but its not wrong.
    You want someone that thinks like you, that's not bad...

• This is 500% right and ok. If you don't see eye to eye on those topics then how will marriage work (if it ever gets to that). you need people who share views similar to you. I personally am religious and it would be extremely difficult for me to want to date someone who is completely against my religion- whether atheist or just another religion. Personal beliefs are important and you can't sacrifice them to date someone who has a similar taste in music

• no. please keep doing the same. you'll save a religious guy's life. stay away from them.

• Haha what do you mean?

• that you will save a religious guy from hell on earth. that's how hard is to cope with an unbeliever. i talk from experience, she is opposed towards everything and the house is divided. the kids are confused and see two contradicting examples. it's a nightmare. thats why atheists should go with atheists and christians with christians.

What Girls Said 11

• It's fine, it's not weird, I'm an atheist and I feel the same way actually.

• No it's not wrong. You're allowed to have your own preference and if you're looking for a like-minded guy then no problem with that. I'm also an atheist woman and wouldn't be compatible with a very religious man waiting till marriage.

Though to be honest, men aren't as focused on religion as women are. There are more religious women than men. Similarly it's much harder for a man to find an agnostic or atheist woman than vice-versa.

I'm willing to bet if it were for men only, there would be many of them that would follow religious practices nor go along with it and if certain do it's usually to please their religious gf/wife.

• **there wouldn't be many of them**

• plus I'm willing to also bet some guys (with the exception of the super religious ones) that wait till marriage are just doing it for the girl who believes in that... it's the girl that's super religious but not necessarily him

• No dude I dated a Muslim who wanted to turn me into a Muslim so your doing a good thing if you can't be what they want don't date them in the first place.

• No I don't think that's wrong. It's just one of your preferences. I am an atheist too and I don't think I would be able to date a religious guy.

• It's not wrong at all. I have a rule against atheists myself after a bad experience. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't feel comfortable. NBD.

• About 90% (theoretically) have a religion or religious belief. If any religious guy would be a deal-breaker I think you are judgmental. If he a super-fan and trying to convert you then its best not to discuss about it or go your separate ways.

• Nah I actually meet a lot of guys who don't follow religion. This guy is really really religious. Most people my age aren't.

• Then if it bothers you don't date him if you (and him) aren't going to compromise.

• This is fine it's not wrong. It may be considered judgmental but I actually agree with u. (I have a lot of religious friends). In the eyes of a religious person they would probably say it's wrong however it's ur opinion and everyone likes different people.

• It isn't wrong at all since we all have our preferences. I wouldn't date someone who was super religious either.

• No, it's not wrong at all. It's a pretty reasonable standard.

• Nah, I wouldn't date someone super religious either. Don't worry about it.

• it is alright
    but I feel you like him? :) can you tolerate his religious side :)
    liking guy is not easy you know 😘