Is a girl talking about astrology a turn off?

I went on a date with this guy, he seemed so interested in me. Our conversation was going great, he's a professor of Philosophy. He was really interested in my life and said I was really smart and stuff. Sunddenly I brought up astrology, he started saying how stupid that was, blah, and he changed his attitude towards me completely. Our date ended soon after that and never heard from him again. WTF?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think online horoscopes are stupid but I think the categorization if the different signs are cool. However I don't really believe astrology can really predict a persons personality even through my sign does fit me pretty well.

Unless the girl was crazy about it I don't think it would turn me off.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a little superficial that he would not talk to you again over something like that. Astrology isn't like talking about worshipping Greek gods that don't exist. It's all based on the time of the year that you were born, so it has science to it as well as spirituality. It sounds like he is arrogant.

• Yes, I found him arrogant too

What Guys Said 35

• Sounds like he's a douche. I don't believe in astrology at all, but I can still find it kind of cool and very fun to talk about if the girl I'm talking to is into it and I like her anyway. So definitely not a turn off.

• Your life is pre-ordained by the position of the planets and stars; therefore, you have no free will. Since you have no free will, it was inevitable that this would happen. Therefore, you shouldn't worry about it. It was simply not meant to be. You just need to wait for whoever the stars and planets have selected for you.

• Yes, astrology is a bunch of crap that no intelligent person should ever believe. And, if he was a total turn-off for you, then you would not have asked this question.

• I agree with everything you said n your last post. An intelligent person should be tolerant of opposing beliefs and open to dialogue instead of quick to anger. Those guys can be quite the stuffed shirts (though I also hear that about my profession - attorney - and it does not apply to all of us, for sure!)

• Yeah, I agree with what you said as well.

• It's not like I'm a hardcore believer, but there are definitely some traits I recognize people having from certain signs.
    I'm rather sketchy on the whole horoscope thing... but I find it kind of interesting as a discussion topic.
    I don't mind talking about it.

It beats politics or religion, or smalltalk about the weather.

• So long as she's not an armature fortune teller. I'm a Scorpio, and regularly have Pisces girls say things like I'm a Pisces we'll be perfect for one another. :) Even predictive crap like that doesn't phase me. I just smile and take it with a grain of salt.

• Wow that guy had an attitude and intolerance problem!

• Most guys aren't into metaphysical things like astrology, religion, etc.
    We like more solid things like science.
    Also, philosophy people doesn't like astrology

• Astrology was a turn off for him, but I doubt you could say most men would react like he did. If you believe wholeheartedly in it , it could be a turn off , just talking about it , no

• As long as she doesn't believe in it for REALZIES and only treat it as a fun pastime , then sure.

• I am in philosophy as well and completely understand why he ditched you. Astrology is kind of the butt end of all illogical jokes in philosophy because there is no reasoning behind how it works and pretty much stand against everything philosophers believe lol

I would also say it is a turn off to myself as well, sure it can be fun to read those things here or there... as a joke, but I can not take someone who actually follows that stuff seriously enough to date.

• if they say humans use 20% of their brains , what truths lie in the other 80 . I don't believe in astrology. Logic and science ( as we know it now) as been placed at the top of reasoning , we don't have a better model at this point , but lots of what we can't even conceive in the structured process of using philosophy and science to provide us with true knowledge will one day have to back track if we can ever find a way to understand what lies in the other 80

• @KempisMC yes, like people think that we've arrived to a point in history where everything that science has discovered is the ultimate truth. Only they don't remember that it's not the first time in history that people have had that kind of thought.

• I don't think people at all expect what we know now is truth, many scientists don't even like using the term 'law' because they are subtly refined and changed over time.

And I think that is great, and I am not saying you are a non intelligent person. I just know I could not make it work with someone who wanted to equivocate astrology with science.. just as I would jump ship if someone if someone tried to legitimately logically defend Christianity (and I know many very intelligent theologians) I would instantly toss everything I saw and thought about her out, it is just what people call a deal breaker. not one can say if it is justified or not, it is an opinion and personal stance in regards to dating, but I think it is very clear from the other comments as well, that this was not just this guy and in fact the majority of men would at least find it a huge turn off...

Ill just include @KempisMC here, I don't think you can tag as Anon.

• It's not a turn off at all.
    The total turn off is girls looking for Mr. Right and believing marriage is going to solve all of their problems.

• He's into philosophy, they're a bunch of pontificating pseudo intellectuals, you had a lucky escape.

• Astrology is a science. I love science.

• You brought summat up that he doesn't believe in.. why are you shocked that he doesn't want to contact you? He thought you were smart, and then you brought up summat he thinks is stupid, so it changed his outlook on you.

Sometimes people just don't click, and that's summat you're going to have to get over. Either get with a guy who likes astrology or don't bring it up to anyone ever.

• i dont believe in astrology. and yes it's stupid!!

• Astrology isn't a real thing. I would immediately lose interest in a woman who takes it seriously, and I'm not surprised that a professor of Philosophy had the same reaction.

• I only said I believed in the characterization astrology did of personality traits, but that I couldn' explain myself how planets have anything to do with that, but that it would be a good idea to test with scientific methods if at least there's a correspondace of the moment you were born with certain peronsality traits, so as to refute it or confirm it. I even have an idea of how I would do it, and said I didn't mind finding with those tests that what I believed in was bullshit. Why are people so intolerant? Well, I guess that's the story of humanity.

• Astrology is simply over. There's no need for additional tests. The tests are done. Same with homeopathy, palmistry, phrenology, "therapeutic touch", all of it. A basic understanding of science is all that is needed to know they are all BS.

• Sometimes people have a thing for the window of opportunity going perfect... since you talked about something with passion he didn't believe in... it maybe killed his vibe

• Since believing in astrology means you're superstitious and lack even basic logical thinking skills, I find it to be a major turn off.

• Ha, I love how some of you guys talk like you've come up with the theory of relativity yourselves. Lord.

• @Asker And exactly what research into the positions of the planets and stars in the sky have you done? I assume you have your own cubesat in orbit right?

• YES! It is right up there with cigarettes and "Screw Me" forehead tattoos.

The truth is when you are born the gravitational field of the doctor has more effect on you than that of the stars.

• Nope. cause i did it in the past was into astrology

• A girl just talking is a turn off.

• he's Could have biased views or be intimidated at your knowledge. The way you describe it he did youa favor. No need to be with someone like that

• Hahaha, this is awesome!

• Yeah it is

• Because scientists hate that people tend to put something like astrology in science.

• If he's rude about your interests, then hold out until you find one that isn't.
    Else you're just wasting your time.

• Yes, totally. I'm not about to contact him again either.
      Thanks!

• some people can be really idealistic about things , personally i think astrology is fine , but i prefer tarrot cards reading lol

• for me it is yes... .

• Yeah. I get super turned off by astrology. i can tolerate a lot of beliefs but that particular one bugs me. Well that and alchemy. I guess because it gets so much attention despite its obvious dubiousness and as a philosophy professor the only people that I could possibly see being offended more would be an astrophysicist or astronomer. Pretty much anyone doing anything close to science is gonna feel at least a tadbit uneasy about astrology.

• Yes its a huge turn off for me. Astrology can be easily debunked. Science has studied astrology several times, and has found it to be completely false. Just do a search online about those studies and you will see that there is no science supporting astrology.

Astrology and the tooth fairy may be fun to talk about, but as soon as a girl acts like she believes in either of them, it is going to make most guys lose respect for her. Especially if she is going to make a major life decision based on it.

If a guy really likes you he might pretend to be interested in order to act tolerant, but chances are he loses some respect every time you start talking about something he doesn't believe in. This also goes for big foot, ghosts, alien abductions, and anything else that makes you look like you have lost your grip on reality.

The only way he isn't going to lose respect is if he also believes in that stuff. If he doesn't believe, then he isn't going to respect people that believe in it as much. You can't really expect that guys should keep an open mind either. That is what they already believe, and no one likes being told to believe something else. Anyone with conflicting beliefs will naturally have a harder time respecting each other the more those beliefs conflict with one another.

This is a fun experiment that shows why people believe in this sort of thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AyTbLqSBfI

• Ha! Well, they could have done it properly and give them, randomly, the personality descriptions corresponding to the zodiac signs, instead of giving them the same general definition of a personality. Zodiac signs descriptions are way more precise than that. What I do think is BS are horoscopes, like the ones you read in magazines.

• Losing respect for an individual that believes in something that goes against clearly proven science is not anything like what happened to the native Americans. Believing in things that others know is clearly wrong will cause others to disrespect you.

Trying to pretend that anyone that doesn't respect you for your views is in anyway similar to people that have violated massive human rights violations, is not only a stretch, it is a very dishonest way to try and shut anyone up that disagrees with you.

• Oh ok so only people that only believe in science are worth respect. Wow. And you my friend have superiority complex based on what other humans have achieved? Very honest of you.

• Because astrology = you're stupid.

Sorry, but astrology is retarded bullshit with no sound, logical basis whatsoever. It's about as real as the tooth fairy.

He rejected you because you are stupid. You are stupid for believing in astrology, in even the most casual sense.

• Oh, I'm so sorry, Einstein.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 7

• Nope that would be badass and interesting to hear different facts about it.

He sounds like a douche

• Ignore him, he's not worth your time.
    p. s. I agree with @leader

• Yeah most guys will take that as a cue that she's a little off her rocker. Sorry but it's true (not that you're crazy, but thst they assume that).

• What is his sign?

• Sagittarius... I don't know his ascendant, though.

• What's your sign?

• I'm a Taurus :) And pretty much everything is true from my love of everything be pleasing to the senses, hating loud noises, to being very stubborn and disliking change. And I have found that the guys I have the best relationships with correspond with the signs that are "supposed to" be good matches. I've tried to make things work with other signs (Gemini - hell no, never again, and Aquarius - sweet but annoying know it alls lol) but it never is a good match and things end quickly/ messily.

• Ok.. do you get his star sign anyway? lol...

• It sounds like he was a total jerk. Astrology is a really fun topic.

• not at all.