Why do people have "types"?

I have never understood this. I don't have a type of people that I prefer, but my crush said I'm not his type. Before that he said I'm dolly, smart etc. it was like he wanted to hook up with me.

Most Helpful Guy

• A type is formed by our experiences, what we are naturally attracted to, and what we find compatible with ourselves. My ex was just like you and said that she didn't have a type. This annoyed me to no end because I cannot grasp how someone doesn't have a type, and I know she didn't mean it in a bad way, but it was insulting to me because I could be anyone and she wouldn't care. I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that people who don't have a type are either so desperate that they will take anyone, very inexperienced with relationships, or they have not yet figured out what they want.

• No I think you're right on the money. I haven't had a relationship so don't really know what I want. The only things I won't compromise on are someone who is overweight, wears too much makeup, smokes/does drugs, or thinks they are a queen. If they are friendly and half decent looking I'm keen to meet them. Maybe I'll have a type in a week or two cause I have a few dates next week ☺

Most Helpful Girl

• You can have great qualities and be not someones type.

People having a type means that they would find themselves more compatible with another for whatever reasons.

I am like you a bit...
    I am a bit more open-minded when it comes to dating.
    I don't completely X someone out because they have a few things I dislike.
    But some people are like that.
    If you even have one quality they see as negative or they don't like (even personality trait) they would be unwilling to pursue things with you.
    Some people are more picky when it comes to having a type.
    Others are more open.

• people have the right to choice.

• Having a choice is fine and isn't what I am disputing.

Being "too picky" makes dating ten times harder. These people r more likely to be single or have a hard time in a relationship because their expectations r too high.

What Guys Said 13

• Personally, its based on what you like and what you think is compatible.
    I myself have a specific type of girl I like, but it's cool if she has a few characteristics that don't exactly fit. Not like she's a shoe. Can't go around and find a 100% perfect one right off the bat.

Like someone like me can't possibly date a close-minded person. Therefor, my type of girl is very open-minded.

• It's been my experience that when someone says, "you're not my type," they're not attracted to you. flat-out.

• Technically that means "you are not a person based on appearance or behavior whom I would want to date".

I think his version sounds a bit less harsh.

• Maybe he wanted to just hook up with you. Some people use the "you're not my type" verse as an excuse whenever they don't want a serious relationship with someone. On the other hand, what that phrase basically means is that you don't like the girl's personality. There are some personalities that I dislike and avoid.

• All the times we met we were both drunk, expect twice, so he doesn't know my personality. Why doesn't he give a chance?

• Thanks :)

• You're welcome

• Simple. He just doesn't like your personality. Your looks are fine, he just isn't into your personality. That doesn't necessarily mean you should change, it just means you should find a guy who likes your personality.

I have a very specific type of girl that I'm attracted too, as well. Many people do.

• It's more fun that way

• We all have things we like and do not like, We can't all like the same things. Human nature simply wouldn't allow it

• I like people to surprise me with who they r. Having some inherent checklist of prerequisites is just to static for meh.

• I don't necessarily have a type but the girl has to be somewhat attractive, some common interests, and a decent personality. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

• Some people like chicken some like steaks u can't force people to choose only one thing

• You should have something in common if you want to have a meaningful relationship. Like you both enjoy reading or something as opposed to "traits".

• nothing wrong with it, if that is what he likes.

• Because I don't want to hurt a girl by having her fall in love with me even though I'm not attracted to her personality and then asks me if I love her and I say I don't feel the same

What Girls Said 8

• People are just attracted to particular traits that appeal to them, from appearance to personality. If someone has personality traits you don't like, or isn't what you're attracted to, that immediately can cause conflict in the possible relationship. This is why people develop a basic "type" in their mind, to avoid people who they don't see themselves having a successful relationship with.

• Everyone has a type. And I bet you have a type you just don't know it. We all have turn ons and turn offs. For instance I can't stand a show off! Or people who are too freaking loud!!! So if a guy approached me with those traits I would say you're not my type.

• Because we all have preferences, everyone has a type. If types wouldn't exist, I don't think finding a connection would be easy... All of us attracted to the same things... sounds super boring to me lol

• Type just refers to the pattern in which you date, or that the people you date all have a similar characteristic. Everyone had something they're attracted to more than other things, and that my dear is your type. Might take you a little bit to figure out what it is though lol

• People have types based on experience. What they like etc in a specific person they want in another. In your case, maybe his type was a one night stand and you didn't want that.

• U seriously don't have "a type"?
    Meaning you like ALL MEN?

• Why do we have types?
    We have types because each of us has out own preferences for potential partners. Some people like tall people, some like short. Some people like blondes, and some like brunettes. It's all a matter of preference.

What did he mean by "you're not his type"?
    To put it simply, he'd prefer someone other than you. Maybe he doesn't like your appearance or your personality, but there's something about you that he'd prefer if it were different.

What should you do?
    MOVE ON! I know it seems hard at first, but think about it. You have feelings for a guy who bluntly told you that he's not into you. Why waste your time trying to make someone that doesn't like you like you. It's like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. It's not going to work, and you're going to end up frustrated. So move on. Find someone who likes you, for you. You're bound to be somebody's type. Find a square hole for your square peg.

• When it comes to sex for men if you have a pussy you are every guy's type

• Yeah, if they're desperate and will have sex with anything that moves. I'm not like that though. There has to be at least some physical attraction for me to consider it in that regard.

• Some Men have admitted online that they have fucked a girl they are not attracted to