When you go out on a date, who pays?

I recently read a post where the fellow was wondering what was happening. He wined and dined, romanced - even paid for half of everything. That made me wonder (as someone who regularly pays 100%), who pays when you go out?

• the guy, of course
  • We split it 50/50
  • The higher wage earner, but the other does other things such as?
  • The girl
  • We mix it up and it depends on different factors
  • Just show me the answers

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. On a first date? The guy has always paid for me.

In a relationship? Switch it up.

Most Helpful Guy

• When dealing with gender assignments like this. I always say forget gender and just do what is fair. Women love to jump back and forth from traditional gender assignments to modern gender assignments. Why? To avoid responsibility and to receive entitlements. When you are at work with a woman she will play the equality card because she wants equal pay and equal opportunities etc. When you date this same woman she realizes that being "equal" when dating will require her to shell out money so she will most likely play the traditional female card. This will entitle her to free drinks and free dinners etc. Not all women do this but a lot do. In all fairness to men, women need to be consistent. This does not mean that a guy can not buy you dinner. It means you can not EXPECT a free dinner just because you have breasts and a vagina.

What Girls Said 27

• We mix it up. For the last few dates I have paid. I don't mind, my boyfriend is going through a financial tough time. I love him and I want us to have a good time. Plus he has taken me out plenty of times :)

We just switch it up, or I pay or he pays or we pay for our own meals. We honestly don't keep track, we just kind of do whatever.

• We switch it up. Sometimes I take him out sometimes he takes me. If we can swing it right his parents take us out and then we both get free food :p

Most of the time he pays I guess. But we don't really go expensive places. If he pays for dinner I tip/buy desert and vice versa.

• Well it depends I feel like on first few dates that the guy should be a gentleman and pay of course I'll offer to pay it or at least my half but I really have respect guys that will pay the bill.

After like the second or third I'll really insist that I pay for as the relationship goes on we can just take turns.

• I absolutely despise the idea of splitting even with my friends.
    We switch it up.
    Today he/she pays, the other day I pay etc.

• The one who asked the other one out. In my case that's usually me. This is one of many reasons why women should ask out men more often.

• In every other relationship I've been in we've generally alternated planning dates and the person who made the invitation picked up the check (or the tickets or whatever). That also settled the issue of different wages - when I was professionally employed and dating a grad student, he might pack a picnic for July 4th fireworks and I might score tickets for a concert. Now I'm dating a man who makes several times what I earn and really likes to go out a lot. I quickly figured out that if I attempted to keep parity with him, it was going to bankrupt me, so I probably pay for our adventures less than 10% of the time. I guess as long as he's not complaining it'll stay that way. ?

• First date: whoever asked.
    After that take turns.

That's how I prefer to do it. I hate splitting checks because it just feels awkward and it's annoying for the server. But if we go to a movie or something then I'd typically say one person pays for the tickets and the other person pays for snacks. That's how my boyfriend and I do it. And we take turns paying for meals and stuff.

• I'm a feminist and not only when it's convenient.

Girls should pay what they eat, AAAAND, if I asked the guy out, I pay his bill, the one who invites pays in my opinion.

• personally my boyfriend and i mix it up and it depends on diff factors. if he's low on money and i have some, i'll pay for all of it. we don't usually split it though.
    for the majority of the dates we go on, my boyfriend pays. when i have money, i always do things for him whether it's buy a small gift, buy ice cream or a snack, pay for an activity we do, or pay for us to go out on a date. i think it evens out in the long run, and it's fair.

• Whoever asks pays. It's a way of telling the other person you value their time and company.

• I usually pay for myself. A few times, the guy already bought the movie tickets for example, so I pay for the refreshments. If I was in a relationship, I don't mind switching it up to one treats the other, then the next time it's their turn.

• I'd prefer to pay for myself the first few dates, or even split the bill. But I don't really last long with guys that insist on paying for everything too often. It's just one of my biggest peeves.

• I pay for myself completely, every single time. I don't even care if they insist or get offended, i'm doing it anyway lol. If they can't handle me being that way on dates then they probably can't handle me in a relationship in the first place.

• I always offer to pay for the first date, but the guy usually insists that he pays so I let him. Dates after that we'll do 50/50 or whoever wants to pay more does.

• I think the best is to mix it up and 50/50. Sometimes I feel like going out and buy him a drink or food and vise versa. We do whatever we feel like to.

• I always reach for the check just to be sure, but if he objects and insists he pays then I let him. :)

• I think whoever asked to go on the date.
    If the girl asked, then she should pay.
    If the guy asked, then he should pay.

• I prefer to split the meal or price of whatever we're doing.

• It depends. Some guys want to split some like to pay for everything. i think I will see if the guy want to split or not

• When I go out with guy friends, they pay because they want to

• I don't date. I ache

• Depends who invited who but it's always assumed that the guy pays

• Since I work and seeing as how I only date guys with careers we both split the bill

• we mix it up!

• The guy. Unless we are in a relationship then it should be 80% him and 20% me

• Wow lol... so this Is where it starts at age 20 huh

• Your boyfriend is not your ATM, and it's pretty sickening that that's how you see men.

• My current 23 year old boyfriend is a grown man and so were my other boyfriends they can make their own decisions for themselves. My boyfriend and I are worried about US and what are you worried about... US too. Go spend some time worrying about yourself bc your opinion is useless to me

• We mix it up, and usually we don't split we just take turns paying for things. For instance, last night we went to dinner and a movie. He got dinner and I got us tickets. So it's like that. I would say overall if we counted everything up he's paying more, though. I think it's 30/70 or something. He is earning a lot more than me. Sometimes what he wants to do I can't really afford, so in those cases I still want to contribute what I can, but he ends up paying for a lot of it.

I always offer to pay and split though, and in the beginning he didn't want to take me up on that at all, but I explained the way I feel about it and I think as we've dated he's become more comfortable with it.

• I sometimes like to pay but sometimes is cute the guy pays and is also amazing to split it.

What Guys Said 20

• 3|0
    • What an entitled bitch lol

• It's so dumb that they're joking about it but you know if a guy was doing this to women it wouldn't be funny, they would make an entire episode dedicated to preventing women from being "used" lol

• @GirlsLie
      that's true

the news anchor acted like what she dud was totally fine

• If I ask a girl out on a date, I pay.

It's just how I do.

• I usually pay for it because it's the gentlemen thing to do and I don't give a shit about what anybody else says about that, it's my own choice and my own way of thinking

• The person who asked and set up the date. Anyone that asks someone out to dinner and then asks them to pay at the end of it isn't relationship material for just about anyone.

• the girl... ain't spending my Money sorry fam

• I do, or at the very least I offer to.

• I don't mind paying but sometimes I just don't want to... it really depends the vibe I'm getting from her

every date if been on, I don't remember once a girl taking out her wallet

But in your younger 20's and teens, it's usually half half

• No one pays, it's all on the house : }

• I always pay

• All those bitches made me pay over ₹2500 for dinner just few months ago...

• Me because I have the money and I'm a gentleman.

• I've done it all with the girls I've dated.

• I always pay dosnt matter how much it cost

• not bothered when i pay bcoz i know im getting desert

• The man...

• I'm gifting her with my time, she pays.

• i mostly pay

• I've never been on a date but I would only split it

• Its funny how no one voted whoever's the higher wage earner when that's the reason why guys paid for the date all the time everytime back in the day. Now guys still have to pay even if they earn less. I have yet to know a woman who pays 50/50 I've only encountered them on gag. Maybe I have some magical power that only makes women who expect men to pay come around me in my 30 plus years of living on this earth, going to plenty of places.

• I dated someone once that earned my times what I make. She really kind of through herself at me which was both flattering and kind of a turn off. She wanted to go out at lot. One time she offered to pay and I acquiesced. That was our last date. Coincidence?

• No, don't misunderstand me. She kept offering to pay but after I let her pay, she was done. She offered and earned crazy fantastic money, but the moment I let her pay, that was it. I am okay either way. I do like the mixing things up answers. It's nice when people share I think. It doesn'tatter what it is, really.

lol

• So she offered to pay, and then stopped talking to you? Not your fault. Her loss.

• If I asked he out I paid (frequently they would offer but unless they really insisted I paid) if they asked me out I would offer and would generally be allowed to pay the tip or for drinks or the cab bu mostly they paid.