Is the age difference too much?

I'm 14 and one of my best friends just turned 19. He decided that this was the correct time to confess to me that he likes me and I'm really confused. We already cuddle and hang out and stuff but he says he wants to be more to me. The age gap is about 5 years and for older people that's not a lot but in this case it is a problem.( I live in the UK so the age of consent is 16). Help please what do I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Wait 2 years then see what happens.

Most Helpful Girl

• i'm honestly in a very similar situation.
    It seems like a big gap now but come the time you are older it won't be a problem at all. i think if you're mature and grown up about it and your parents and friends agree with it then go for it.
    as for cons, not only may the age be a problem but since you guys are in different stages of life that could make it more difficult.
    just hope that you two grow with eachother, not out of eachother :)
    good luck though, do update i'd love to know how things worked out!

What Guys Said 11

• Well considering you're still under the consent age, it's pretty illegal and I'd consider just waiting if y'all do end up dating or whatever.

• First, do you want to be more to him or him to be more to you? Also I would recommend against it in this case. The age gap is much more significant because the difference in life experience. Neither of you can probably provide what the other is looking for at this point in time. Maybe in two years.

• depends how long it is until you are 16 unless you are going to keep very quiet about anything you do. That age gap isn't stupid so why not get with him

• Wow. In the US, I'm seeing it as you're fresh outta middle school and he just got done with high school so yea, that's a issue in my opinion. Hope y'all not having sex.

• wait 2 years it's easy trust me if he's worth it he'll be just friends =p message for the story.

• Right now it is. In a few years it won't be.

• When you're young it's too big

• forget about that at least until u are in the legal age

• I remember 2 girls that were 15 that had boyfriends over 20. The age of consent here in Sweden is 15. I thought that was weird and I still do.

• Yeah, he needs to b hanging out wit girls his own age. Not cool

• Not really. My grandfather was 11 years older then my grandmother when they got married, its just that she was older and more mature then you when they met. Right now its kinda weird because you just hit puberty and he is basically an adult, but in 10 years when your 24 it would not be weird at all to date someone who is 29, its just weird now because of how young you are.

What Girls Said 12

• noooooooooooooooooooooo

he's too damn old to be attracted to a 14 year old. if he's still around when you're 17, then maybe just MAYBE he's worth a shot.

• For the moment, you are too young. If you really care about each other, he can wait until you're over the age of consent at least. Until you're in similar stages of life (which won't be until after you're done college, at least), I think that particular age gap will be a problem.

Bottom line: if it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.

• If the feelings are real, go for it, but just make sure that while you're following your heart you're also using your brain because due to the age gap, he might be pursuing you because older guys tend to consider younger girls as naive.

• If you're meant to be you'll still be meant to be in 2-4 years when it won't raise as many eyebrows.

• He is just taking advantage of your age as usual and he's fucking horny.

• at this time in your life i think it is a little too much of an age gap. you're both going through different things and phases in your life at this age. you're growing up and becoming the person you're going to be. you'll most likely be very different in the near future, and so will he. i just don't think its a good idea.

• It probably is too much and you should wait until you're 16 and if he truly loves you he will have no problem with it

• Well, it's legal to date him, but illegal to have sex until you're 16. Go for it. I'm above the age of consent in my state in the U. S and I'm with the most wonderful guy, even if the age gap is wide.

• It is, I don't even understand why you would ask this question. It would be different if the guy was 16

• Yeah I think that can be a serious problem, especially for him because it would involve the law. If things go south (someone reported you/him... etc.) and you both got in trouble then he might be labeled as a pedo forever. Which could lead to ruining his life and future. I just don't think it's smart. You have to think of the future and consequences. Besides, I think you're too young to date a 19 yr old. Their needs are much different than yours. I think you should enjoy your youth and being a young teenager before jumping into relationships.

• I'd say your to young to date a guy that's 19 years old

• You're too young for him.