Did I just cheat on my boyfriend?

An old classmate of mine randomly sent me a message, and we chatted for 45 minutes. He asked if I ever wanted to go out for coffee sometimes, and I told him I have a boyfriend. He apologized, and said that he'll back off. He was obviously flirting with me. I remained friendly and neutral. He asked once again that if I'm ever free we should grab some lunch or whatever. I said sure to be polite, but I'm honestly not interested. I know I should of said no, but I figured that making friends isn't harmful. I plan on telling my boyfriend about the conversation, bit I'm not going to make it a big deal or anything. I just want to know if I said the wrong response to this guy's offer. I'm hoping that he'll just forget that he ever offered me out for coffee and that it will be the past. And if he asks again, I'll politely decline, but I just wanna know if I did anything wrong?

Most Helpful Guy

• Naw you're fine. As long as you tell him and he understands it's all good. At least you have the courage to tell him and worry. Some girls don't. In my book a friendly lunch with a guy that you're not attracted to is fine as long as I'm told about it beforehand.

What Guys Said 4

• If you would have said YES then it would be cheating!!!
    But you said no so its not cheating...

But dont go out with this guy if he asks you fir the third time or any time..!

platonic or friendly talk is ok... but flirting, sexting and all that is cheating...

And yes do let your boyfriend know about this conversation...

• But I said say yes as in if I was ever free. But I only said it to be polite.

• Yes exactly you said yes only yo be polite... but i hope you will not go with him cause it looks like he kinda is looking for something more than just a friendly hangout

• Nothing happened.

• It was the wrong response to the offer because you know he likes you its a bit like your boyfriend talking to a girl he knows likes him would u be pissed if he accepted her invitation. You didn't cheat but if u flirted by trxt then u have. Dont meet this guy and tell your boyfriend.

• no...

filler

What Girls Said 5

• You haven't done anything wrong. It was just a simple hangout. It's important to let your boyfriend know about it next time, to see if he is fine with it or not.
    You didn't kiss your old classmate or anything, right? So, I wouldn't call that cheating.

• Nope, the dude never acknowledged me when I was single. Now that he sees that I look attractive (and he pretty much said that my default picture looked pretty) he wanted to ask me out.

• Uh, no. Talking to another guy isn't cheating. If you'd met up with him, and had hooked up, or something, THAT would be cheating.

You're right to talk to your boyfriend about it, but just known you did nothing wrong.

• Okay, just making sure. And I know just talking to another guy isn't cheating, but I know that if another girl was talking to my boyfriend it would bother me and I would at least like to know out of respect. It was just that the conversation I had with this classmate was friendly, but he was obviously flirting and he admitted that had I not told him I was taken he would of taken his conversation to be more flirtatious. And I'm never comfortable with being mean to strangers unless they take things too far. You can get things done better when you're nice.

• You didn't do anything wrong, you're not a cheater

• no you did not cheat. meanwhile that classmate of yours can't take a hint.

• Lmao yeah he can't. xD

• No, you didn't cheat on your boyfriend.

• Good, just making sure!