Guys, do you ever want to be just friends with a girl?

I see stories left and right about guys who become friends with girls and then get upset when she rejects their romantic advances. Is the 'friend zone' really such a big deal? Do you ever want a brotherly-sisterly relationship with a girl?

40

Most Helpful Guy

• Girls see friend as just a friend. They become friends with guys because they enjoy their company, and their minds don't push it pass that.

Guys on the other hand, whether they admit it or not, will usually not approach a girl unless he finds her attractive or needs a favor. Think about it. He sees you for the first time, and he approaches you and wants to be friends. What do you think was the thing that attracted him to you? Couldn't have been your personality or character, because he's never met you or talked to you before. Of course the setting matters, if you assigned into a group for project it's much different than him voluntarily asking to be in your group. There's always an ulterior motive, some guys just hides it better than others.

What Guys Said 39

• It's possible and it happens. But that's not what most guys are looking for. I think most guys who place a high value on female friends are guys who don't have a problem getting girls. That doesn't mean it comes easy for them, but at least they can do it.

If a guy has a hard time getting a girl, a friend is not what he's looking for. He might settle for a friend because he doesn't know how or is afraid to take it past that. But it's not what he's looking for.

Even when guys really are friends with a girl, I don't think guys would lock in on that status nearly as much as girls do.

• Why not? it's definitely possible and yes I am sure many guys just want friendship form the girl nothing more.

• id love to ne just friends but that makes you lose respect and then every girl starts seeing you as 'brother'. fuck that, i want someone to call my own.

id happily be in a relationship with a girl minus sex if it meant she publicly sees it as ok to be seen with me.

there is no shittier feeling than being introduced to her friends and guy friends as "just a friend/brother" aka "I think Im too good for him otherwise wed be dating". these are the guys we make fun of because despite their so called "friendship" that girl will happily jump on the dick of the same guys who exclude and abuse this guy.

any relationship where just by being in it implies that you are inferior means you should not be in it

• Friendzone is a very dangerous thing. Most boys or men have only one goal: Go for a girl and have a relationship with them. If that boy or man has an IQ of 4, they just want sex and then break up. But there are things as being friends with a girl. But most of the time is this the prologue of the text from above. To sum everything up: they are rare.

• The friend-zone is a big deal because they don't want to be there.

I've kinda wanted that from a girl after it became clear she wasn't interested in me. But if it seems like I'm really getting along with a girl (or a guy for that matter, albeit less so) then yeah I'd want friendship... duh.

• I have a few of those. However, I want a more serious relationship. The "friend zone" is definitely not ever where I want to be, especially if it's with a girl I'm interested in.

• No, not really. As a man, if I'm interested in a woman in a way where I want to spend leisure time with her, it's for sex.

• I'm gonna get a lot of downvotes for this but yes. We are all humans. Not every guy has sexual intentions with a girl. some of us like the girls we befriend but rather than ruin friendships we just keep them as friends. Trust me most of my friends are girls and no I am not gay in any way whatsoever.

• I have 4 sisters, so no I don't , Through elementary school most of the girls in your class ( I had the same kids in my class for 8 years ( small town) become friends and nothing more , adding new friends that are girls doesn't make sense. As we make more in the work place ,

• If I started out having a crush on them, etc, then it is usally harder for me personally to just be friends. I will most likely always be attracted to them. If we just had a casual conversation somehow, then it would definitely be ok.

• Absolutely... some girls are just meant to be friends. Those are the ones you like as if they are a sister.

• Once in a while, we will be friends with a girl, and only want to be friends.

About 90% of the time, we're friends with a girl because on some level we want to sleep with her.

• Yes, right now actually. I've been talking with a girl for a while and she forcefully flirts with me and must know by now that I try to avoid her flirtations because I just want to friends (we are going to the same college) and I need to straight up tell her to stop. I just hate thinking that she will be upset

• Certainly. Problem with that though, sometimes feelings develop.

• If we get a long very well and there's no romantic feelings. Depends on how long we've known each other. On average I can only say I want to be friends with 2-3 out of 10 girls the 7-8 are fair game

• If I like their personality and we get along, sure why not?

• Some girls i know that i just want to be friend. I can keep the barrier beetween.
    But some... it may be complicated to understant our feelings by them.

Feelings is an ocean of weird shit.

• If I'm friendzoned because she's not interested it just means its not meant to be.
    If I'm being friendzone as a power trip for the girl or a way to manipulate me, then no.

• "Friend Zone" is a big deal when a guy has designs on her (wants to do her at some point).

Yes. I & 5 guy friends of mine just want to be friends with girls sometimes.

• No it's too hard for a guy to be around a gorgeous woman and have feelings for to see someone else in the front runner. Reverse the situation could you be friends with a hot guy who had a girlfriend

• Yea in a way. Usually when I want to be friends with a girl, it's usually in a way where I can see my self having sex with them. Most of my close female friends have told me they would sleep with me and vice versa.

• Yes I got a few like those, it's all cool between us :)

• Nope, cause after a while one of us is gonna have feelings for the other (as human beings) so I don't want that to happen.

• sometimes but often a guy tries to get a relationship with her and she pushes him into the friend zone. it doesn't matter unless you like her. if you are stuck there that means it isn't were you want to be

• Yes many of them...

• Yes. Plenty of times.

• Yes, I don't have sisters and my cousins are far too formal and boring. I have met many girls who I would love to have as friends only but many of them think that a man would never want to be just friends.

• I would like to have a few friends that are girls but I've never had one.

• I have a childhood friend who is a girl. We are both married so it works.

• Childhood friends are different since you don't get to choose how she looks like when you're both grown up

• i already am with a girl just friends almost 3 years

• More from Guys
    9