What makes guys use online dating sites?

Is it because they're shy to meet girls and approach them in real life? They're busy with work/study?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• It can be a good convenient way to meet people whom you have a little background information on via profile essays, letters etc. It's not that they're shy to meet, they have to meet at some point anyway. Most still meet their SO outside a dating site.

What Guys Said 11

• A little perspective:

In the summer of 2004, at the age of 37, I found myself divorced, working full time (evenings & weekends included) attending college and moved back in with my parents. That last bit was necessary because I had custody of my 4 year old son.

So, let's look at this from a dating perspective:
    - my coworkers -- all male
    - can't go out because I work evenings and weekends
    - average age of college coed was 20 -- I was old enough to be their father
    - college women my age -- all married
    - I live with my mom and dad, and my 4 year old son

Awesome wealth of opportunity for dating and relationships -- NOT!

The week my divorce became final, I purchased a 1 year membership with eHarmony. I communicated with my matches every day. I was disciplined about it -- treating it like a second job. Seven months into that membership, I met a very special woman. Everything clicked. After about 4 months together as a couple we knew we would one day marry. Seventeen months after we first met we were married. That was 9 years ago this June.

Here's the thing about online dating (especially through eHarmony - my only experience). When you join and develop your profile, they only match you with people you would be compatible with.
    My matches all:
    - were willing to accept my son as their own child
    - had similar religious beliefs
    - had similiar political beliefs
    - had the same outlook on sex
    - had the same views on raising children
    - had similiar interests
    - had similiar views on homelife and work life balance.

ALL this was established before going on a first date. Yes, there were first dates too, plenty of them. You see, online dating is a misnomer. These are really online matching and introduction services. After the service makes the introduction, the rest is up to you, just like in the real world, because it is in the real world.

If it happens that a guy is surrounded by eligible single women in his life, well, God bless. If he is like me, then work is a sausage fest and going to college is like walking into a middle school. If you want a date with a woman in the real world, you have to go where they are -- online.

• Some guys just have the life style where they do not get a chance to met new people. The only way they could is if they walked up to a complete stranger somewhere, and a lot of women aren't into being approached like that. Even at a club or bar, not every woman is single or looking for a date. So you go to a dating site where women are looking and open to meeting people. Just makes it way easier.

• If one is fishing, it makes sense to drop lines in different spots, to increase odds of catching something.

For guys like me, it's more of a "why not?" thing. I don't spend a whole lot of time on dating sites. I make my profile, post pics, upload a new pic occasionally... and browse them occasionally in my down time.

But for a guy, investing LOTS of time in a dating site is a waste of time. That's why you only browse in downtime, when you're at home. The primary hunting ground is real life interactions! ;-)

• I personally find it easier to approach women online instead of real life due to on the internet mate finding is more 1 on 1

• The reasons you listed above, desperation and potentially better matches than going about it at random

• Why do you use GAG to ask questions?

Is it because your shy to ask in real life? Are you busy with work/study?

• Yeah it is easier to ask questions on here than in real life.

• In my opionion/experience.

1) socially easier (thinking about messages and texting)
    2) you know the girls are single (most of them)
    3 ) busy lifestyle
    4) easy selection.

Probably a bunch I missed, but you get the point.

• Its easier

• It's far less risky and intimidating.

• 1. Loney are lonely
    2. Bad luck with girls
    3. Loves to use the internet

• Pretty much or is lazy