Do you believe men should be "gentlemen" and be chivalrous?

I don't know I'm really over all that "men should pay" crap. Like if I'm with a guy and he's a bit broke that week,, I'll pay half for dinner. Like it's honestly not a big deal to me. We're all equal! I mean if he says "YOU PAY" then it's a different story, but if I offer like it's whatever.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes men should be chivalrous to a point. I think some traditions are simply good manners and serve a good purpose. I think the biggest problem now is that kindness and respect for people are no longer virtues. They seem to be dismissed as that "silly tradition" geezers did back in the day. It's sad really, how we strip down people into categories of objects rather than as the emotional human beings we are.

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone should be respectful, period.

Although, if he says "id like to take you to dinner" id expect him to pay since he is inviting. If he said "lets get dinner" thats different.

What Guys Said 13

• If a man should be a gentleman then the the woman needs to deserve such treatment. It can't just be expected or taken for granted. You can't expect to be treated special when there's nothing special about you.

The mentality many hold is that the man should be the one impressing the woman and show that he is worthy her affection. It creates an unbalanced relationship.

I guess we should all be gentle men and women. It's not only up to one gender to treat the other in a special way. We have equal value and should treat each other as such.

• He should be whatever he wants. I'm a gentleman, but I'm not stupid. I'm not gonna pay all the time for women, that's how you get used by those girls who just want special treatment and money. I'll be a gentleman to you, if you're also a lady to me.

• I'd never take a girl I just met out to an expensive dinner anways. That's for AFTER you've established a relationship. First dates should be cheap and give you a chance to know each other.

• Depends on how you define the two terms.
    They are very vague and can be used to justify subjugation of men.
    Here's how I define a gentleman:
    A man who is polite and treats others with respect.
    I tend to do that so I can safely call myself one. However the word 'gentleman' can also be defined as "a male personal servant". That is not something I would ever be.

I am an egalitarian so the whole "man must pay for the date" thing really bothers me.
    I see no reason in sacrificing my money so someone else can feast. The woman can pay for herself she most likely has a source of income and is in no way disabled.

Chivalry is a concept from medieval times which referred only to knights. It was about being courageous, honourable and treating women like a prize to be gained and worshipped.

I will never treat a woman as an idol but as my equal. Although I may not be really courageous I like to think that I am an honourable man and that should suffice.

• Whoever asks initially should pay. People that are in good loving relationships fight about being the one wanting to pay for the other person. Not fighting about getting the other person to pay. We should love to do things for the people we care about not take advantage of them. I have no problem paying especially if I'm asking the girl out because I like to do nice things for the people I care about.

• Like if I'm with a guy and he's a bit broke that week,, I'll pay half for dinner

Only half? But, When he's not a bit broke that week, He should pay for both halves? xD... fml

• Normally when I go on a date we ask for two separate checks. I always bring enough money for the two of us. Its but rare that I have paid for the whole date. A few times the lady paid. The 21st century rocks.

• I am a gentleman and treat women with respect. It has nothing to do with me thinking that she is not capable of paying but it is me showing respect and investing in her and possibly in a future for us.

• Nope, fuck society, fuck everything. I'm done being an expendable tool to this soulless world. As a man that's all I ever feel like is a tool, a machine to be used to fucking fix site you fuckers screw up. Fuck this world.

• when it comes to being a gentleman, I try my best to be nice to others.
    But yeah, I was raised with the attitude that men should cater for women's needs and so on... but I don't know

• If the guy is rich, but the girl is poor, the guy should pay. If the guy is poor, but the girl is rich, the girl should pay. If the guy and the girl are both rich, they should both pay equally. If the guy and girl are both poor, then none of them should pay. Yes, it's that simple.

• No. Men should treat women the same way as women treat them.

• most of the time sure but a girls gotta give something too

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, I believe that men should be gentlemen and chivalrous just as women should be ladies who practice respect and aspire to be honorable. Being a chivalrous gentleman isn't simply about paying for a girl's meal. It's really just about a guy who strives to practice respect, honor, and integrity. It's about being polite, courteous, and having a set of principals.

• It should be equal. I don't need my doors opened for me all he time, I open doors for my guy all the time and I pay for half or all of our dates usually.

• Honestly I don't really think it matters who pays. My boyfriend usually pays dinner but for his birthday we went for dinner at a sushi place in the city with all of our friends and I paid for it. I think it's really the thought that counts. I totally agree if he was like you pay the bill I would be annoyed. But, otherwise I think anyone can pay.

• I just believe people should be respectful, I think ladies should be chivalrous too.

• Depends on whether a woman is traditional or not.

• yes I think men should be gentlemen and chivalrous but they also can be whatever they want

• of course... but it doent matter men are getting more and more feminine by the minute

and there is more to that than paying