Guys, how can I get my boyfriend to care about his appearance?

He only ever wears athletic shorts and basketball t-shirts that he's given for free from tournaments he's played in. Pair those with white socks and Jordan's and he has his everyday outfit. I haven't said anything to him because some guys just feel more comfortable in that attire, I get it. But, when we go out to eat with my parents I would like him to put a little more effort into what he wears. He is very wealthy so money is not the problem. His dad and brother dress very well. Should I take him shopping? I don't want to act like a mother, but it's really gotten out of hand. We went to a dinner at our country club with my family and he wore a flaming basketball t-shirt and red athletic shorts with Jordans. All I'm asking for is like khaki pants and a nice shirt from American eagle! Please help

5

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't make a grown man do anything; You knew what he was like when you started dating him.

You only want him to care because you care, and that's where this entire process fails. If you wanted him to boost his appearance because he was disheveled and it worried you that would be a righteous cause, but as it looks right now you're just embarrassed because he makes you look bad.

My advice is leave him alone and deal with it. Does he even enjoy going to 'country clubs' and other places of vanity?

What Guys Said 4

• I honestly doubt he even understands your problem.

Sometimes people nag me about my jeans. I seriously don't understand their problem.

• Hypergamy in action ladies and gentlemen. Observe.

• Tell him that you might one day leave him if he doesn't adjust. If he cares about you he will change at least a little.

• Yes, give women more advice on how to use ultimatums and relationships/sex/whatever as a weapon to make even more bratty women who eventually get dumped and bitter.

Stupid.

• "Tell him that you might one day leave him if he doesn't adjust" As passive-aggressive as that is, it's still a threat. I think you're the one who needs to grow up, in that your self-worth grows up. You're advocating controlling woman syndrome and suggesting controlling his life through threats and ultimatums, and for what? For him to wear khaki pants so she isn't embarrassed to be seen around him? I can almost guarantee that he is dragged there by her.

What she needs to do is negotiate and come to an agreement with him, because that's how communication actually works in relationships. This site is pathetic with giving its relationship ending advice. "Break up with him", "Withhold sex from him! that'll teach him!", "Threaten to dump him now/in the future" is abundant, but I never see "talk it out", "work summat out", "what are you sacrificing for him?".

• All I am doing is asking for advice. He didn't like my short hair so I'm growing it out. I don't like the way he dresses. I changed for him. I'm not asking to get ripped apart, I'm asking for advice. If you can't give valuable advice, don't waste your time commenting

• Yeah, ask him to go shopping and pick out something you'd like to see him in!