Would you think less of a guy who started college late?

I went down the wrong career path. Was getting into law enforcement. Got into it.. hated it. Going back to school to become an engineer at 22 years old? Feel so old with these 18 years old starting fall semester.

bump
This is all pretty motivating.. I'm getting mixed answers saying you are young.. then just embrace being the old guy lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 22 and still in college too. Are you calling me 'old'?
    i0.kym-cdn.com/.../SANDCASTLES.png?1318627593
    Better sleep with one eye open, mr.
    And hey! Good for you for getting out of law enforcement 😊 hate them! My college friends range from 18 to 28. True story. Today, I met a new student at our business advising hall, he's in his 40's! So no worries, you're not alone and definitely not that old 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• im 24 and im in college, who cares what others think least you are progressing and bettering yourself

What Girls Said 23

• I went to school at 20, and I didn't feel weird about it. There were many people who were older than me who were either completing a 2nd degree or were there because they wanted to change careers. There were a few people in my class who were like 45+. So don't feel bad! People go back to school for many reasons!

I would NOT think badly of a guy who was going back to school at all. If anything I would be proud of him for chasing his dreams! :)

• Nowadays, there is an increase in the age of college students. Not everyone is attending college at 18 years old. Some do and then realize they chose the wrong path and end up changing courses. Therefore, attending college in their 20s. Some even start college later on. Others return to college in their third or fourth decade of life (yes, I have classmates who are in their 30s and 40s).
    I think you should go after what you really want regardless of your age or other factors. Please remember you are not old. Generally speaking, you have insight that most of the 18 year olds in your class don't.

• i'm almost 2 years older than my current college year & they think i'm like wise & look up to me so its not awkward or something,
    my mum went back to college in her 30s after she left my father because he never wanted her to get an education and she started with a bunch of 17&18 yearolds and they all made friends and they accepted her, college is kinda chill you're all their to learn by choice and it doesn't have school drama

• The thing about college is that high school politics are left behind! Don't worry about what other people are going to think of you because no one really cares. And there will be plenty of people just like you! And in your same age group and probably some who like that same 80s band you do. College is for everyone.

• 1. You did NOT start college late. In life we have to go by our OWN pace. Instead of looking at it as "starting late" you should consider it as "starting at the right time."

2. I would totally not think less of a guy who started college in his 20's. In fact, I'd be happy for him.

All the best! : )

• I actually think it's a good thing. You had your chance to undersand what you really want from your life (I hope) and now you're on a right way to get it. Majority of the students are in schools because the society tells them to. Where I live people might look down on you if you don't go to colledge/Uni right after your school graduation. That's why many students end up learning stuff they aren't so interested in and hating their jobs later. Like you with your first try. So good for you! Don't worry, no one would care about your age.

• Know I would have more respect from him, for taking a step which will able to provide more options for him in the future and go for something they love!
    Goodluck with your engineering degree! :D which field of engineering are you planning to study? :)

• Debating between mechanical and software. My family comes from hardeasses telling me I'm doing nothing with my life it gets to me.

• Don't listen to them!
      I was talking about engineering with my dad today, he's an electrical engineer.
      He said that electrical and mechanical engineering is the broadest.
      If you study mechanical engineering you can apply for a job as a structural engineer as well as chemical and civil engineering. A company will be interested in training a mechanical engineer to be a chemical engineer but the reverse is not possible!
      Do what suits you! You're family should be proud of you!
      Working as an engineer and in the law enforcement are both very honourable professions!

• I'm planing to do biochemistry then post grad medicine. In the UK medicine is also a undergraduate course. I will be 21 in a class of 18 year olds. Don't worry about it! I'm sure they'll be others around your age.
      My best started university at 16 but the majority of people in her course are in there 20s, some are in their 30s with family!
      Don't think about your age, you'll just be more mature than most :p

• No!!
    Don't feel bad at least your going back to school. Some people wouldn't even have went. I know older people then that who go back to college your still young. Be proud of your self who cares if your 4 years older then a 18 year old. Cheer up 😁😁😁😁

• You're not old at all! Life isn't a competition and screw age. Do what's right for your life

• i think that age doesn't matter when it comes to education

• I went to community college after high school, hated it. Quit a year later. Got a job. worked 2 years. Then went back to a different college and my life was forever changed.

As for men as long as a man has a job and a goal in life he's fine to me.

• No never. I adore people who fallows their dreams.

• Im 25 going on 26.
    I think about it often but could never actually do it.

MUCH luck and success to you xo

• Not at all, in fact I'd probably think more of him for going back to what he wants to do.

• Nah.
    I won't think less of him.

You just make sure you stay motivated.

• It's only four years! No big deal. You're gonna live another 80!

• no! but are you sure you want to deal with the debt?

• I wouldn't. As long as he's going it doesn't matter.

• Nah, I wouldn't. Everyone makes mistakes ^^

Besides, older guys are hotter. :)

• Never! We all have a season and reason to do things :)

• It's more common than you think
    with those paying from savings, G. I. Bill
    and of course graduate colleges
    +
    you'll get more out of it!

• one of my friends started a new career (she was chemistry engineer with 5 years of experience), She found out she hated it. She started again with almost 30 years old.
    Now she is graduated and she is happy with her new job.

I know plenty of people like that.

• Nontraditional students are awesome! You aren't that far off the "normal" age and it's great you're going back to do something you want to do!

• Would I be non traditional? I thought that was if you started at 24+

• I think it differs for each college.

What Guys Said 17

• I really wouldn't stress about your age. I mean I'm 44 and I recently (last year) completed my Masters degree, incidentally I was also older than the average student when I went back to start my scholastic pursuits. In this day and age you have lots of different people going back to school, so no worries. Besides there should be no shame in working towards improving yourself to meet life goals.

• I'm going to school to become an engineer now at 27. Will finish my first year in this coming semester. Life is too short to have regrets and not do what you enjoy in life.

• I've never met a single person whose life went exactly they planned it. So no, I don't look down on you.

If anything, what you did took courage. Think of all those people out there that wanted to change something in their lives but were

• No big deal, instead it's nice that no matter how life pulled you down and you got back on your feet and are on your way, even the great, Robert downy junior was a drug addict and a felon and see now he is the sherlock Holmes and iron man. Life isn't about how high can you go, it's about how many times you can get back on your feet and keep moving. It's not about how much much you got, it's about how much you can give and still be stable and live.
    Unless you feel guilty about something then you need to fix it, and then you can be on your way good luck.

• In four years you will be 26. You can be 26 with an engineering degree or 26 without an engineering degree. Certainly 26 is not too late to start a career. Lots of people start college even older than you are. I had a friend who started medical school at almost 40.

• Old? Not at all! people well into their 40s change career paths and fare just fine!

• LOL You feel old? How 'bout a 31 or 41 year old going back to school? Besides, you are making a career change. Half of us do that anyway.

• I went to college when I was 24 I think, and there were still others in my class older then me, plus I'm thinking of going again soon.

Also 22 is hardly old, not much difference really.

• Not at all. I think it takes courage to start again.

• Not at all mate.. girls love older guys for one, just play the "Life experience is just as important as sitting in a class room" card and no one will fuck with you, your sorted! never worry.

• Not old. Just be sure you choose right now.
    And study, go serious about it and show them what you are made.

• 22 ain't old, your never too old to go to college. At least's better than waiting years and later regretting it.

• yes. because i;m not a nice alien

• My sister who is 23, has a fiance, who is 28 and they go to the same class in medical school.
    It really doesn't matter. Both of them have a really close friend, who is a 39 year old woman.

My point is, nobody will think less of you. If anything, you would be the cool one in your class.

in my opinion, I think more of you, because you are willing to work, to achieve your goals, and not just settle.

• Bro, my friend decided he wanted to become a doctor at 25. No one thinks any less of him. he's 29 right now and works in a hospital making more money than all my friends at something he likes doing.

• A lot of women would. Just don't mention it much when you're trying to date.

• WTF? Old at 22? I was 23 when I graduated - there were plenty older. My first year there was a guy in my dorm who turned 30 that year - and he partied and banged freshwoman as heartily as anyone.