Unwanted texts, how do you handle them?

You have been out with someone a few times and you feel unsure, or decided it's not happening. You continue to receive texts from them; how do you handle it?

Respond the same as always?
Short responses to be polite?
Ignore them?
Tell them to stop?
Start off short and then ignore them if they don't get the hint?

Edit: I believe you just let people know. I was more curious if I could find what way people tend to lean, the popular opinion if you will. Thanks for the answers so far!

Most Helpful Girl

• If you don't want to date this person, let them know. If they persist, then ignore their messages.

I've had this experience in the past. I was talking to this guy, I never even met him! And he for some reason felt that even though I had expressed that I wasn't interested, I HAD to keep talking to him.

I'm all for giving people chances, and I gave this guy a chance. But after our conversation online it became quite clear that we would not work out and that this was not happening. He had completely different views to mine and it just wouldn't work out. I was nice about it, told him politely that I was sorry but that I didn't want to pursue anything as from our conversation it was clear we were not going to work out.

He got angry, but persisted that I must absolutely keep talking to him. So I started to ignore him. He got mad. But kept messaging me.

He would not leave me alone after me ignoring him. He kept sending me random messages like "What do you think we'd be doing right now if we were together?" and creepy stuff like that.

So I downloaded an app called Mr Number and it allowed me to block his calls and texts from appearing on my phone. Thanks goodness!

Basically the only thing you can do is let them down as nicely as possible and then ignore any more messages. Some people just cannot accept rejection.

Most Helpful Guy

• There's different ways in which how I deal with each situation.

If it is someone I want to show that I dislike, I would read the message and ignore it (on whatsapp, it shows the sender if the receiver had read it or not)

If it was someone I really wasn't too fond of, I would just reply with the driest replies ever like "ok" "why" "lol" "nvm" so that the conversation dies out without it being the fault of either of us.

If it was someone I would still like to keep contact with, I'd use polite sentences but I wouldn't break them off completely. Just take longer to respond than usual.

What Girls Said 19

• Don't be rude or crude, @AmalgamOfCurious, but Respond in a Polite and Short manner as your own man here, dear.
    However, if you do not want More in Store, not being Sure, just Add: I have to go, busy lately. Thanks for hitting me up.
    This will most likely be a helpful hint that you may not hear back, with no hymning nor hawing.
    Good luck. xx

• I think that feelings today would be hurt a lot LESS if people were MORE honest and straightforward. By texting, you are giving a person hope that you share feelings that you don't. And this is not fair in the long term. It is far kinder to be honest, and cut off ties, if you don't have any interest in them. I usually use something along the line of ' you are a wonderful person, but I don't think that we have enough in common to pursue a friendship. I wish you the very best in the future, and wish for you a happy life'

• ☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍I put that down arrow was by mistake

• Send a short but courteous "Hey I had a good time hanging out and getting to know you but ultimately I don't see us working out' and if they still don't get the hint or try and convince you to be with them then it's acceptable to ignore and block them.

If you just ghost without telling them then you'll still have to deal with them texting you until they get the hint and who knows how long that could take.

• Let them know how you feel and if they keep going ignore them. Don't be subtle, but don't be rude either.

• I'd honestly let them know how I felt and stop after that.

• Ignore them, they will eventually stop.

• If I was the person texting you, I'd want you to tell me to stop- in obvious clear bold text. Other people might find that a bit rude but so is pestering someone with unwanted text messages.

Just be honest with this person, so they don't have to think you've leaded them on and so you'll get your peace. And if they still don't stop, just block them.

• Tell them the truth

• Tell them how you feel
    Not interested or something
    If you dont have the courage, just ignore it

• Short and polite.

• just block their number.

• I change the subject to Mozart's history line and they don't respond

• Block their number

• Explain that its not happening, if they don't get it, cut em off.

• Well the guy that doesn't like mine is not asking this one

• Just tell them you aren't interested in being involved with them

• I tell them I'm not interested and if they still continue then I block them

• Block them and don't ever reply to their texts or messages again. That's stocking.

• Take a long time to reply, give short replies- don't ask them a question so they have no real reason to respond. Reply less and less often and they should get the hint.

What Guys Said 21

• If you've been out with them a few times, it might be nice to tell them it's not working instead of leaving them hanging. I'm not sure of the best diplomatic way to do that, but it's only fair to someone who thought enough of you to go out a few times.

• I just ignore, especially if it's a girl you hardly know who texts you a picture of a heart she drew with a glitter border and "miss you" written in the middle after 2 months of not talking with each other.

• First you tell them stop in a polite way. It that doesn't work, block their number and ignore them

• Block them. We've had this functionality for YEARS now. There's no excuse for not using it.

• when i get random number texts i usually send them this picture,

img.thesun.co.uk/.../RAMBO-620_1556245a.jpg

• I don't get any unwanted texts because I'm fucking lonely.

• Tell them you are not interested, and to stop texting you. If they keep texting, block the number.

• Make it clear you're not interested in a clear, but non-inflammatory way. Pursue legal action if your refusal is not honored.

• Don't respond. They'll stop. Probably after posting on here "I went out with this guy and now he doesn't respond to my texts". :)

• Unwanted text?

How about just getting a text.

• Just be honest mate, even if she's a little hurt or taken back, better than the whole "omfg he just stopped talking, i think i was going to love him.." bull shit. Just say "sorry Crystal, its just don't find you terribly interesting"

• Just say sorry, it's not going to work for you. If they continue, then ignore them.

• Throw your phone at a random person on the street

• I give them to the less fortunate.

• Block em, so they can't text or call you...

• I tell them "I'm not interested in you that way" and they can take that how they want to. Bottom line is I'm not and I informed them.

• Step 1: block them
    Step 2: there is no step 2
    Step 3: live happily ever after

• That's what happens when u give r phn number to the wrong person. .. u know wt i mean...

• I hate how people can use just about every function on their phone, but are all of a sudden unsure how to block a number...

• Hints are just insulting. If you weren't close at all and don't see them day to day them you could ignore 2-3 texts before the next step, but if you do see them or did seem to be getting along then just go straight to telling them you're not interested.

• block!
    ...