How would you take this if your boy/girlfriend said this to you?

It is your job to be my girl/boyfriend.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would be a little confused in the context in which he was asking. The way the question is posed looks as if it could be a command or just a straight up statement. If that were the case then I would find it to be disrespectful, since I am no ones property and I would definitely feel that my partner would not be my property either. If it was meant as someone saying that it is your responsibility to stand by my side said in a, say heated discussion I would be curious to know what I did to make my partner feel as if I was not being supportive to their needs. Either way the statement in itself seems to be very charged and a poor choice of words.

• that's what i mean. how would you take it if in the beginning of the relationship your boyfriend says to you its your job to be his girlfriend?

• As I said if it was stated in that manner I would not be very happy. I would find it to be pretty rude and a little insulting. It isn't your job to tell me what I have to be. If you are really so insecure that you need to try and keep me in line before the relationship even starts I really have no reason to be with you. If the statement was worded differently I think it would be a little better received, but since the question is based upon that specific wording with no explanation that would be my response.

• Ah! sorry miss understood your opinion. but you are right. in what you say.

Most Helpful Guy

• Then I demand a raise.

What Girls Said 25

• 12|2
  • I'd be like "I'm submitting a formal resignation and seeking other opportunities in the near future. Thank you for your time with me"

• ha ha ha ha AWESOME (just as she looks :D <3 )

• Lol @handsomeraj I can use the emojis anytime on my phone. I just don't want the gag app on my phone because me being on gag is a secret.

• lol but you can keep a password for your phone and keep the app hidden :D

• Where's my pay-check, bitch? :D
    I think its in the heat of the moment, let it blow over and you'll probably be good as new.

• Since when did it become a job 😳

• How would you take it though if your boyfriend said it to you? would you see it as disrespect as in you owe them. how would you see it?

• I'd probably say something along the lines of 'Well I hope I'm not made redundant in this economic downturn' or 'Yes, and I'm the boss so shut up or i'll fire you' ... I guess how the question was delivered will effect how snarky or good humored my reply is.

• Huh?

That barely makes sense.

• how would you take it if your boyfriend said to you its your job to be my girlfriend?

• Hmmm depends on the circumstance and his tone...
    if he is jealous of you and your other guy friends, i would feel sweet actually.. lol

• break up. right there, right now. I am not somebody's property and will DEFINITELY not have anyone walk over me.

• I'd tell them I quit!

• What does that even mean? What is this "job" you speak of?

• I would laugh my ass off. Lol. I am laughing even now. I am assuming your girl didn't phrase this exactly the way she wanted to. Or you have taken the sentence out of context. lol. very funny though. :D :D :D

• I have no idea what that mean, i'd probably ask them what do you mean it is my job?

• I don't like the word "job."

What does he mean by that? I would ask for clarifications.

• being a girlfriend or boyfriend isn't a job
    i would ask him clearly what he meant because loving someone isn't a job or what. it does require some responsibilities in long term relationship but it isn't a "job" in any way

• wth?

Why would he say that? like he wants me to do something for him or what?

• I guess he would say that as a joke and I'd take it as such

• Uhhhh... are you paying me? And leave depending on the context

• Um I would need more about the convo. What did they say before they said that?

• Relationship is not a job... if someone thinks that way I will say let's end it...

• Afterward I'd say "oh now it is your job to be my ex boyfriend " ha would not end well for him

• i would not like that.

• That seems a little rude like are you telling me it's my purpose in life to be your girlfriend? No sir.

Answer mine?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1664298-what-would-you-do-in-this-situation

• hahaha
    and it's your job to make sure I enjoy the hell out it... or else!

• I'd feel like I'd have to make them my priority

• I'd ask him to define the word " job". I would also explain my definition of job to him... that my job is what i do for a living, not because i want to do it or because i like it.. but because i have no choice. I will leave my job when i find something better. Then i would ask... do you still want me to view you as my job?

What Guys Said 16

• Guess I've got that more than once lol. I give it time and lots of rope with verbal (not yelling kinds ever) caution notices but guess we humans are hardwired to take only a shout or yell and theatrics seriously, hence it always goes to deaf ears and then the inevitable happens; I walk out one fine day :D (not a laughing matter though, whoever breaks up it isn't an easy thing on both parties)

• I'd would take that as a sign of her losing interest in me.

• You reckon? I would see that as they depend on you for their happiness. just a thought though.

• Well... when someone starts believing that a relationship becomes a 'job', or feels that their partner believes that, it's an immediate red flag, and indicates that efforts need to me made to mend the relationship or give up on it.

• this is also in the beginning of the relationship as well.

• So it's a job now huh?

• "Job? In that case it might be time for wage negotiation and benefits packages".

• I know this sounds weird, but it would actually sound cute to me. Be like: She's actually asking for my attention and company.

• Is there a paycheck and is it negotiable?

• i would tell her that as long as she isn't paying me monthly salary, it's not my 'job' to be anything.

• I'd leave them, it's not my job to be anyones significant other if i don't want to be

• "My job? I am with u bcz i like it or at least used to." (But i wouldn't add the "or at least used to" part if it wasn't an argument. And i will also say that i am free to do whatever i want. I am not forced to be your boyfriend.

• I would need to know the context of the statement.

• I think I don't need that job. No one need a job like that. Plus that sounds ridiculous.

• I depends on context what does that even mean? Otherwise I l just have to show her again who is boss

• "It's your job to suck my dรฎรงk"

• I'd say the only job round here blows, now get to it.

• Its really hard to understand what they are meaning without having any context here... they could mean really well by this or it could just be badly worded or it could be disrespectful and rude. How did this happen?

• ''And I'm the boss''